GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

I'd also ask what the quality will be like?
Are we talking zero analysis, two cameras and some lad getting his first comms gig?
Like, say what you want about Sky but it was well produced.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

thewobbler

It'll take a while for it to reach the standards now expected.

The presentation of Down TV has noticeably improved over the years to the point that it's noticeably superior product to Armagh TV or Ulster TV that I tuned into this year.

GAA Go will start with bigger budgets and I'd expect a few full timers to put standards in place. But I'm not sure that logistically and presentationally they can hit the ground at a canter.

twohands!!!

Quote from: square_ball on December 15, 2022, 04:19:50 PM
38 matches for €59 isn't bad value in fairness if they are going to charge €12 for an individual match.

The LGFA season pass for next year is €50 - that has over 50 league games, 11 All-Ireland club championship games and all intercounty championship games not broadcast on TV.

Not really all that great when compared to LGFA package.

A big problem is that this is an RTE joint venture and RTE are the ones who are effectively running GAAGo so they have no incentive whatsoever to put RTE's GAA coverage under any sort of pressure so expect more of the same in terms of coverage.

WT4E

Quote from: twohands!!! on December 15, 2022, 08:11:53 PM
38 matches for €59 isn't bad value in fairness if they are going to charge €12 for an individual match.

The LGFA season pass for next year is €50 - that has over 50 league games, 11 All-Ireland club championship games and all intercounty championship games not broadcast on TV.

A big problem is that this is an RTE joint venture and RTE are the ones who are effectively running GAAGo so they have no incentive whatsoever to put RTE's GAA coverage under any sort of pressure so expect more of the same in terms of coverage.

But then you would have to watch the ladies football if you bought it!  :-[

AustinPowers

Quote from: WT4E on December 15, 2022, 08:22:36 PM

Some of the best  games in recent years has been  ladies matches.  The Armagh Kerry clash last year  was great , and the Meath girls  can play some great football

square_ball

You're comparing a totally different product there. Next you'll be giving out that the All Ireland finals aren't priced at €25 like the ladies finals.

At €1.55 it's pretty decent value imo.

Quote from: AustinPowers on December 15, 2022, 08:44:19 PM

Some of the best  games in recent years has been  ladies matches.  The Armagh Kerry clash last year  was great , and the Meath girls  can play some great football

The Galway v Dublin 2019 final was the worst game of any sport I've ever seen

tonto1888

Quote from: 03,05,08 on December 16, 2022, 12:25:09 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on December 15, 2022, 08:44:19 PM

The Galway v Dublin 2019 final was the worst game of any sport I've ever seen

You havent watched much sport then

Captain Scarlet

Just to go back. The product is replacing Sky so it does need to have full production at least.
The other worry is that if it is a Gaa in-house thing will any real criticism take place. Sometimes things need to be called out.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

nrico2006

You pay less for ladies football because the quality isnt the same - straightforward enough.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Itchy

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 16, 2022, 09:47:21 AM
You pay less for ladies football because the quality isnt the same - straightforward enough.

Dont think that is right. You more for stuff because it is more popular, doesnt always correlate with the quality. For example, some of the games Dublin male team have been involved in are woeful in terms of a spectacle yet they get prime billing on tv.

SCFC

I'm delighted with it. €59 is good value. Reckon I'll watch most of the games.
I don't have Sky or a receiver to even get a one day Sky pass so this is by far the best value option for me.

seafoid

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 16, 2022, 09:47:21 AM
The product is less established. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

Quote from: dec on December 15, 2022, 02:20:35 PM
I got this email from GAAGO a few weeks ago (I use the GAAGO app on a Roku stick).
--------
Dear Customer,

We are contacting you today to inform you that the GAAGO Roku app has been discontinued. However, there are a number of ways for you to continue watching GAAGO content:

Directly on our website https://www.gaago.ie. Simply go to our website. Click 'LOGIN' in the top right-hand corn. Enter the email address and password associated with your GAAGO account in the provided fields. Click on the box beside the text 'I am not a robot' and complete any verification steps required. Wait a few seconds for the spinning loading wheel to become a tick symbol the proceed to click the 'LOGIN' button positioned below. Once logged in, click the 'MATCHES' tab along the navigation bar at the top of the screen to generate a dropdown menu. If you wish to purchase or watch an upcoming or live game, click on 'LIVE & UPCOMING,' and click on the BUY/WATCH button displayed below the game listing image. If you wish to watch on-demand content, select 'CATCH UP' from the MATCHES tab dropdown and access in the same way as above

In the coming weeks, the GAAGO apps for iOS and Android will also be relaunched. The apps have been totally rebuilt to ensure an improved user experience. You can sign in with your existing account and access content bought via the gaago.ie website, or the Roku app, directly on your mobile or tablet. The apps will also allow casting to your TV via Chromecast or Apple Airplay - see our FAQs post launch for full details.

You can also watch on your TV via a wired connection, by connecting your laptop to your TV. Simply connect one end of a HDMI cable (can be purchased in any electrical store and most supermarkets will stock them) into your laptop and the other end into a HDMI port at the back of your TV and whatever is on your device screen will display on your TV screen. Typically, this comes in on your TV on a separate source to your cable, ordinarily called HDMI 1, 2, 3 and so on. This will depend on your TV so please see your TV manual for further information on this. You will need to select the source the HDMI connection footage is coming in on your TV in order to view it on your TV; it will not automatically appear on screen once you hook it up.

Please keep an eye on our email newsletter, social channels and the gaago.ie website for further updates about how to access GAAGO. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch on support@gaago.ie and a member of our Support Team will get back to you as soon as they possibly can.

Kind Regards,
GAAGO Team
------

FFS.

I thought we'd left hooking the computer up to the tv behind 10 years ago.

I get that Roku etc is becoming obsolete, but are GAA Go not going to create an app we can download directly on to the tv itself like every other app is doing?

armaghniac

Quote from: J70 on December 16, 2022, 12:45:23 PM
I thought we'd left hooking the computer up to the tv behind 10 years ago.

In many ways it remains the most reliable approach.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B