Donegal v Meath R4 NFL Mac Cumhaill Park, Ballyboyey 9/3/2014 @ 2:00pm

Started by agorm, March 02, 2014, 03:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: donegal lad on March 10, 2014, 06:47:59 PM
Quote from: StephenC on March 10, 2014, 04:43:45 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on March 10, 2014, 02:54:51 PM
McGlynn got a bit of a flukey goal as well though in fairness (so I was told anyway).

You mean when he delicately floated the ball over the keeper from a tight angle with his left foot?  ;) Nothing flukey about that!
That left foot has now scored 1-01 for Donegal - the point against Cork in 2012 being a bit more important in fairness.
Was it with his left or right he scored the goal in the ulster final. Here is a link to see the free murphy scored yesterday to secure the draw
http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/video-michael-murphy-kicked-an-almost-impossible-point-to-salvage-a-draw-for-donegal-yesterday/

Jaysus!

Ard-Rí

There aren't any videos of the match floating around are there? I would like to see it, either in full or highlights.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on March 10, 2014, 08:44:31 PM
Quote from: donegal lad on March 10, 2014, 06:47:59 PM
Quote from: StephenC on March 10, 2014, 04:43:45 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on March 10, 2014, 02:54:51 PM
McGlynn got a bit of a flukey goal as well though in fairness (so I was told anyway).

You mean when he delicately floated the ball over the keeper from a tight angle with his left foot?  ;) Nothing flukey about that!
That left foot has now scored 1-01 for Donegal - the point against Cork in 2012 being a bit more important in fairness.
Was it with his left or right he scored the goal in the ulster final. Here is a link to see the free murphy scored yesterday to secure the draw
http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/video-michael-murphy-kicked-an-almost-impossible-point-to-salvage-a-draw-for-donegal-yesterday/

Jaysus!
Even with the 6 steps taken to widen the angle, it was a very good kick :)
How long was that kick (minus the 6 steps of course)?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

I know ye are slagging but that bugs the shite out of me. If he was kicking from the ground he'd not be allowed place it in there, so why is he allowed run in there when kicking from the hands?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Definitely - that sort of talent is just making fun of the game.

Seriously though  - I wouldn't assume he stole yards as the clip doesn't show where the free was given from. Why presume he's starting his run from where it should be taken? I would assume he went back a few yards, as is normally done, though if the free was given for some sort of sideline kick infringement, he seems to be a`long way from the sideline when he kicks the free.

Donegal lads who were there - what's the (honest :) ) take?

Main Street

O'Rourke was penalised for delaying a sideline kick, surely the free kick had to be close to the sideline?

Meath should demand a replay, sue the GAA if they get relegated on the basis of that result.

donegal lad

Quote from: Main Street on March 11, 2014, 12:29:30 AM
O'Rourke was penalised for delaying a sideline kick, surely the free kick had to be close to the sideline?

Meath should demand a replay, sue the GAA if they get relegated on the basis of that result.
You are right in part. Orourke was penalised for delaying the sideline for which Padraig Hughes threw the ball up on the 20 meter line where a foul was committed and the resulting free was granted.

StephenC

He stole a few steps all right. But nothing too bad. I believe the free was given for the Meath lad not being 13 away when the ball was thrown up (when have you ever seen that happen!). But he was stupid enough to jump in and catch the ball before either of the 2 lads in the throw-in got near it.
A step or two extra or not .. that was still a might kick under pressure.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: StephenC on March 11, 2014, 08:32:43 AM
He stole a few steps all right. But nothing too bad. I believe the free was given for the Meath lad not being 13 away when the ball was thrown up (when have you ever seen that happen!). But he was stupid enough to jump in and catch the ball before either of the 2 lads in the throw-in got near it.
A step or two extra or not .. that was still a might kick under pressure.

Same thing happened in Mullingar. Ball thrown up, Gilligan comes flying in and punches the ball away before the 2 lads touch it, free in given.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Main Street

yeah it was a mighty kick regardless.
The throw in/throw up is usually a period in time where anarchy reigns until the ball is won, it figures that the Meath player had to do something really dumb to get busted.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on March 10, 2014, 11:36:52 PM
Definitely - that sort of talent is just making fun of the game.

Seriously though  - I wouldn't assume he stole yards as the clip doesn't show where the free was given from. Why presume he's starting his run from where it should be taken? I would assume he went back a few yards, as is normally done, though if the free was given for some sort of sideline kick infringement, he seems to be a`long way from the sideline when he kicks the free.

Donegal lads who were there - what's the (honest :) ) take?

Good point. Mea Culpa. My point in general stands though :)