Author Topic: Ulster Colleges  (Read 282604 times)

Fionntamhnach

• "It's a shame..."
    • View Profile
Re: Ulster Colleges
« Reply #1260 on: November 15, 2022, 10:04:09 PM »
Some schools are very willing to send on material to the Ulster Schools council for publication on their social media channels, but most don't. In some special cases you might even be lucky to find a photographer, usually it's an "A" grade game. When it comes to team photos, usually it's just a member of the coaching team taking one with their mobile phone. Also the case that those in charge of social media/publicity for Ulster Schools GAA will, for whatever reasons, not just stick up everything that gets thrown towards them.

It's also worth remembering that in football in particular just how many schools are competing - I see there are now nine grades of competition this year for the U14.5 age grade, used to be six. Not much has changed at the higher grades, but in the old D & E grades there were quite a lot of competing schools in these competitions that saw some mismatches take place. With the new structures in place they've copied the formula used in the old "F" grade for the "G", "H" & "I" grades of the first round being a blitz tournament for competing schools with the results seeing schools progressing into either the cup or shield competition which is then a straight knockout. I think it's also worth mentioning that although it's being done fairly quietly without much fanfare, since the Ulster Schools body came into being both they and the Ulster GAA Council have been doing decent work in getting Integrated schools into entering football teams where they would never have had much GAA interest before under the old Colleges & Vocational Schools system before - 12 teams for the U14.5 competitions this year, though Lagan College Belfast are suspiciously absent, they won an "F" grade title a few years ago but I don't think I've seen them compete since.

Edit: Just counting on that U14.5 football competitions page, there's 122 teams across nine grades there, and unless I've missed something only St. Pat's Academy Dungannon has a second team entered (at "D" grade, Gerry Brown Cup/Shield). That on it's own is a lot to keep track of in terms of fixtures, even if individual schools/teams don't have a huge amount of games themselves.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 10:10:33 PM by Fionntamhnach »
"That's not a photocopier, that's a shredder! And what have you done to your arse?"

smort

• O.A.S.I.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: November 16, 2022, 06:43:19 AM »
To be fair they do seem to be publishing the macrory fixtures ahead of time. Well, a day ahead just

Truth hurts

• View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: November 16, 2022, 09:25:41 AM »
I wish the games would revert back to Saturdays at 11am but i suppose a lot going on now.

Milltown Row2

• Catch yourself on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: November 16, 2022, 09:29:16 AM »
I wish the games would revert back to Saturdays at 11am but i suppose a lot going on now.

Yeah those times really brought out the neutrals, it's also very difficult to arrange the referee's around the current days/times, at the weekend you could have the umpires and linesmen available, now you are lucky to get anyone to help
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

• View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: November 16, 2022, 09:43:00 AM »
Would most 16/17/18 year olds not work on Saturdays??

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #1265 on: November 16, 2022, 09:45:54 AM »
Group stage games were rarely at 11am on a Saturday.

Thereís likely well over 150 fixtures to be fulfilled some weeks, across the various codes, various levels and various levels.

Thatís no easy task.

Fionntamhnach

• "It's a shame..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: November 16, 2022, 09:52:46 AM »
Saturday morning games were largely the domain of the old Ulster Colleges for schools competing in "A" grade and some "B" grade competitions - usually the schools involved were based in towns with decent (by Irish standards) public transport links thus it was easier to get students gathered up to get going to games on Saturday mornings without having to rely so much on parents to get their sons & others to games. However, other schools in the colleges sector as well as many schools in the Vocational competitions were in more rural/village locations that were reliant on local education board or VEC buses to bring in their students to school and weren't available at weekends, so weekday games were the norm in these cases. Saturday morning games were also an Ulster thing IIRC as well at least when they were going in the 00s, I think in the other provinces they were mostly weekday games across the board. Saturday morning fixtures for Ulster Colleges competitions were pretty much on their way out by the end of the 00's presumably because it didn't suit some schools involved as well as potential fixture clashes with club games especially in the autumn & spring.
"That's not a photocopier, that's a shredder! And what have you done to your arse?"