GAA to Free-to-air in the US?

Started by ziggysego, December 07, 2010, 01:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

GAA proposal has tourism goal - Sean Kelly MEP

- Free-to-air Championship GAA matches suggested for US citizens

Fine Gael MEP and former GAA President, Sean Kelly, is proposing an innovative tourism campaign which will bolster traditional US-Irish tourism links.

"Some 42 million Americans claim Irish ancestry, not to mention those Irish people who recently emigrated to seek employment in the United States, and are keen to maintain all links with the homeland. This market holds enormous potential. I am asking the GAA to explore the possibility of offering free-to-air Championship GAA matches on American TV," Mr Kelly explained.

The Ireland South MEP, who is a member of the European Parliament's Sport and Culture Committee, believes the initiative could be developed by tourism bodies in Ireland and be used as a promotional opportunity.

"Speaking to GAA members belonging to the San Francisco club this week, it was clear that there is an enormous demand for such a service. The GAA has a massive following in America and these fans are also potential tourists who may lead to a boost in our tourism figures," he said.

Mr Kelly was delighted to meet Irish GAA players while in America as the sole Irish representative invited to the 69th EU-US Inter-parliamentary Meeting, due to his membership of the European Parliament's committee with responsibility for relations with the United States.

"While it is sad to see so many of our young, talented people move abroad to seek employment, it is reassuring to know that the Association continues to look after Irish people by welcoming them into a society that becomes a home from home."

Mr Kelly travelled via economy class to California, where he had already established strong links with local GAA clubs during his Presidency of the GAA.

Sourced HoganStand: http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=139399
Testing Accessibility

laoisgaa

Mr Kelly travelled via economy class to California, where he had already established strong links with local GAA clubs during his Presidency of the GAA.

Good man Sean - travelling via Economy class - I fail to see where this makes any relevance given the subject nature of the article!

Celt_Man

Quote from: laoisgaa on December 07, 2010, 01:05:28 PM

Good man Sean - travelling via Economy class - I fail to see where this makes any relevance given the subject nature of the article!

Aye that caught my eye too... Well I suppose in point in doing something good without getting credit for it!!  :P
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Eamonnca1

About bloody time. We've been giving out about the lack of coverage on mainstream TV in the states for years.

andoireabu

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 08, 2010, 05:29:49 PM
About bloody time. We've been giving out about the lack of coverage on mainstream TV in the states for years.
Is it still $20 to watch a match out there?
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Premier Emperor

I'd fly him to States in business class, conditional on the ticket being one way!

Eamonnca1

$20 it is. Not what you'd call prime time exposure.

andoireabu

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 08, 2010, 09:04:35 PM
$20 it is. Not what you'd call prime time exposure.

Would sports bars normally charge more for NHL, NFL etc?
Sure by the business end of the championship the matches would be on in the morning there so is it ever likely to be a prime time thing?  Was over a visit last year and watched half a match and at the end the barman said it would be $20. Bit of an argument about not paying and then we got barred! 
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Eamonnca1

Sports bars don't usually charge anything because they're just showing mainstream broadcast and cable TV. This business of paying to watch games in a pub is something I've only ever seen with GAA games.

I agree that the time difference makes live broadcasting rights less important since only seasoned fans will get up early enough to watch the games. What's needed is a show for highlights or tape delayed viewing, preferably with a partly American studio crew and at peak viewing time.

blanketattack

I remember watching a game in the US and having to go upstairs and pay $20 to watch a GAA match.
Downstairs Chelsea were playing a game and there was no charge.
So the amateur game that was free to air at home was $20 to watch in the pub, while the professional game that required a Sky Sports subscription at home and was pay per view on top of that was free.
I know it's not the pubs fault. It's the monopoly situation by Setanta. If I had a pub I'd just broadcast the game using a feed from the internet.