Emigration and the GAA

Started by Zapatista, November 13, 2009, 08:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

In the 80s there were 22 of us grew up together played ball etc and in 1987 there were only 2 left in Ireland. 10 subsequently came back over the next few years but the rest settled away.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Declan on November 16, 2009, 08:52:32 AM
In the 80s there were 22 of us grew up together played ball etc and in 1987 there were only 2 left in Ireland. 10 subsequently came back over the next few years but the rest settled away.
we'll see more of that in the next year or two Dec - depending on whether these graduates/school leavers /recently unemployed can get work abroad!

Its going to be harder for the lads recently retired from football /hurling who are going to USa/England/Oz - as before they had the playing skills that teams wanted, but now they dont even have that and will not be looked after the same way as prev.
My own family number among them !

Puckoon

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 16, 2009, 12:36:05 PM
Quote from: Declan on November 16, 2009, 08:52:32 AM
we'll see more of that in the next year or two Dec - depending on whether these graduates/school leavers /recently unemployed can get work abroad!

Its going to be harder for the lads recently retired from football /hurling who are going to USa/England/Oz - as before they had the playing skills that teams wanted, but now they dont even have that and will not be looked after the same way as prev.
My own family number among them !

Its getting harder and harder to source a visa here in the US, so Im not sure how many of these guys and girls are going to find legal work for staying the distance.

The Iceman

There are definitely fewer and fewer people coming out to the states every year.  There are some hot spots like Boston and San Fran and NYC that will always get numbers but they are dwindling.
There are note that many jobs about for labourers and the few that are available you have to get in a line behind 100 Mexicans for.

Oz seems to be the place to be heading.

Regardless of where you go my advice as an ex-pat abroad is to locate in a  town without a lot of Irish.  You need a small network of people who can help you out but you will have more success in smaller numbers.  Everyone struggles to be away from home.  It gets easier if you don't cling to everything Irish.......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

maddog

Quote from: thejuice on November 13, 2009, 01:09:56 PM
I moved to England to study in 2003. I graduated in 2007. On leaving I had 5 job offers, all from England, none from Ireland. And I'm still in England. I miss being home, miss the family, miss the club and all the craic. Want to be home especially as my folks are getting older and want to be there for them.

Now I know I don't have it bad here at all, not complaining but I'd love to be able to do the work I'm doing at home. Englands alight but I;ve no great love for the place. It has a great country side, some nice rural pubs and villages though.

Ok I'm getting side tracked here, The club back home has lost about 7 lads that would all have been 1st team players (and then theres me) through emmigation. There has been pressure to amalgamate with another local club as they already are at U-16 level but neither club particularly like each other at the same time.

Anyway, here's a tune that brings it all home for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAcIpXdMrdI

I dunno the Juice, im only up the road from ye and ive been here since 91. This place, for all its faults, gave me a job and a decent enough shot when Ireland couldnt. Problem is when you are away a while and you go home everything is different, which creates further questions.

drici

GAA Transfers

Published Date: 08 April 2010

Inter County (outgoing)

Lee Boyle, Naomh Muire to Móin Dearg, London;
Aaron McCahill, Four Masters to Tír Chonaill  Gaels, London;
Shane McCauley, Naomh Pádraig to Fulham Irish, London;
Barry Browne,Carndonagh to Naomh Barróg, Dublin;
David Greene, Aodh Ruadh to Belturbet, Cavan;
Shane Dunnion, Four Masters to St. Brendan's, Dublin;
Declan McMonagle, Four Masters to Tyholland, Monaghan
Eamonn McGee, Gaoth Dobhair to Tír Chonaill Gaels, London;
Alan Boyle, Dungloe to St Brendans, Lancashire;
Fergal Campbell, Kilcar to St Brendans, Lancashire;
Daniel McLaughlin, Carndonagh to Naomh Barróg, Dublin;
Darren Burke, Carndonagh to Naomh Barróg, Dublin;
Adrian Moore, Glenswilly to Glasgow Gaels;
Michael Mullen, St Nauls to Tír Chonaill Gaels, London;
Finbarr Coughlan, Naomh Adhamhnain to Fulham Irish, London;
Francis Doherty, Carndonagh to Cú Chulainns, Newcastle;
Colin McCarron, Clochan Liath to Donegal New York;
Dermot Callaghan, Four Masters to London.

heffo

We've lost seven senior players to the States & Oz over the last 18 months.

I was signing an Australian sanction form a few weeks ago and there were seven players transferring from Ireland to the one club in Australia..