Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

That attitude will get you a job on the ladies' county executive. There are dual players, pitch issues, and referees to sort. It's very easy to talk. Very easy. Some people enjoy getting into arguments.

thewobbler

Quote from: manwithnoplan on February 08, 2024, 12:55:59 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 08, 2024, 11:59:24 AM
Quote from: manwithnoplan on February 08, 2024, 11:32:49 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on February 08, 2024, 10:55:00 AMI've heard that the LGFA sent out a fixture plan without consultation with other codes which has sparked criticism. Is it just me, or does the LGFA enjoy arguments and making strange decisions?

Did the county board consult with the LGFA prior to announcing the dates for the ACFL/ACHL and championships this year?

Open communications should always be practiced.

But let's be realistic here. One association owns about 95% of Gaelic Games fields in Down. The other owns 0%.

There is a remarkably different onus on the group with 0% to consult with others before publishing any fixtures.

To think otherwise is wanton and unhelpful mucksavagery.

Quite the hyperbole there. Hopefully the LGFA in future remember to get the go ahead from the county board before organising their own games, can't be allowed to potentially impact the attendances and gate receipts of the vastly more important men's games.

The bit about LGFA not owning any facilities to host their games, it just seems to fly over your head.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: thewobbler on February 08, 2024, 02:49:03 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on February 08, 2024, 10:55:00 AMI've heard that the LGFA sent out a fixture plan without consultation with other codes which has sparked criticism. Is it just me, or does the LGFA enjoy arguments and making strange decisions?

Did the county board consult with the LGFA prior to announcing the dates for the ACFL/ACHL and championships this year?

But let's be realistic here. One association owns about 95% of Gaelic Games fields in Down. The other owns 0%.

There is a remarkably different onus on the group with 0% to consult with others before publishing any fixtures.

Quite the hyperbole there. Hopefully the LGFA in future remember to get the go ahead from the county board before organising their own games, can't be allowed to potentially impact the attendances and gate receipts of the vastly more important men's games.

The bit about LGFA not owning any facilities to host their games, it just seems to fly over your head.

The bit about clubs working together internally to develop plans on use of their facilities seems to fly over your head. Perhaps your club is divided in this regard.

Truth hurts

Quote from: manwithnoplan on February 08, 2024, 04:32:00 PM

The bit about clubs working together internally to develop plans on use of their facilities seems to fly over your head. Perhaps your club is divided in this regard.

Equal time on pitches is something I support wholeheartedly, but the Ladies Association's attitude towards other codes is shocking. It's even worse than Hurling snobs.

thewobbler

No it's not divided at all.

The thing is.

When a child grows into an an adult, and wishes to continue living under their parents' roof, then it's in everyone's interests to communicate properly about needs and give each other enough room to be happy.

But if the child isn't interested in that conversation, and instead thinks its acceptable to invite  a pile of friends around to takeover the shared spaces on a regular basis, which impacts on their parent's normal habits, then things aren't going to work out. They just aren't.

And if a parent was to ask them to be more reasonable, that does not make the parent in the wrong. It's their house. They paid for it, pay for the bills, and it was built to meet their needs.

LGFA are the child in this parable, in case you're unsure.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: thewobbler on February 08, 2024, 05:24:19 PM

No it's not divided at all.

The thing is.

When a child grows into an an adult, and wishes to continue living under their parents' roof, then it's in everyone's interests to communicate properly about needs and give each other enough room to be happy.

But if the child isn't interested in that conversation, and instead thinks its acceptable to invite  a pile of friends around to takeover the shared spaces on a regular basis, which impacts on their parent's normal habits, then things aren't going to work out. They just aren't.

And if a parent was to ask them to be more reasonable, that does not make the parent in the wrong. It's their house. They paid for it, pay for the bills, and it was built to meet their needs.

LGFA are the child in this parable, in case you're unsure.

A fantastic parable there, a very eloquent way to display your disdain for the women's game. It's brilliant to suggest that none of the women currently of the LGFA have ever contributed to their clubs before. Spectacular effort, very well done.

thewobbler

Disdain?

Couldn't be further from the truth. I've nothing but pride in my club mates who have developed an lGFA club in Ballyholland over the past two years. My daughters are both playing and loving it, and I really enjoy watching the sport.

But the reality is that until our club expands its facilities, then the onus has to be on LGFA to slot in and the GAA club to accommodate wherever possible. Not the other way around. This is just a blunt reality. Ignore these things if you want, but doing so won't help anyone.

Johnnysboys

I'm a bit lost here with all this... what have the LGFA done???

downtothecore

Looks as if the sport of working together to accommodate camogie has been ignored by the LGFA in down.

meatsy86

One name here Francis Rogan. Loves to wind people up.

johnnycool

Quote from: downtothecore on February 08, 2024, 09:36:54 PMLooks as if the sport of working together to accommodate camogie has been ignored by the LGFA in down.

Don't worry about the Camogie board as there's times I despair that they don't even want to facilitate camogie themselves...

They've a rule that anyone who played senior championship (even a minute as a blood sub) cannot play reserve camogie the following year and that's with a round robin camogie championship...

DownGael71

The GAA doesn't own facilities, clubs do and the members of those clubs. The same members that put blood, sweat and tears into running them too!  As far as I'm aware, but maybe someone more in the know could say different, Down GAA didn't consult either associations about their changes to the fixtures calendar. 
As for the LGFA, from looking at the proposed change following the meeting with Camogs, it's only a small change by the looks of it and shows willingness to accommodate Camogs.
From what I know, all 3 codes meeting has always happened but the issue comes from what happens after they leave those meetings and who has the integrity to uphold what's discussed and agreed. 
Biggest problem I see with the master fixtures is the exponential growth of ladies football in Down and how that gets scheduled into a 7 day week alongside GAA and Camogie.  It's a nice problem for the Gaels of Down to have! 

DownGael71

Quote from: thewobbler on February 08, 2024, 07:11:13 PMDisdain?

Couldn't be further from the truth. I've nothing but pride in my club mates who have developed an lGFA club in Ballyholland over the past two years. My daughters are both playing and loving it, and I really enjoy watching the sport.

But the reality is that until our club expands its facilities, then the onus has to be on LGFA to slot in and the GAA club to accommodate wherever possible. Not the other way around. This is just a blunt reality. Ignore these things if you want, but doing so won't help anyone.

Sounds like GAA clubs could be a match for the DUP and their attitude to the nationalist community.  You can come to the table but don't expect to be our equal you pesky woman, this is ours!

skat man

the Gaa own all club facilities so far as i know . Deeds rest in croke park . a club cannot get a loan without croke parks say so . clubs are only custodians . not saying its right btw but legally i think its the case

thewobbler

Quote from: DownGael71 on February 09, 2024, 10:10:53 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 08, 2024, 07:11:13 PMDisdain?

Sounds like GAA clubs could be a match for the DUP and their attitude to the nationalist community.  You can come to the table but don't expect to be our equal you pesky woman, this is ours!

Honestly this kind of commentary is bewildering and unhelpful.

If you don't believe here's a logistical challenge in integrating another sport - one which runs on the same annual schedule, uses the same referees, and is every bit as vested into youth development - into an existing pool of oversubscribed facilities, then any conversation is pointless.

If you can accept that this situation poses a logistical challenge, but would prefer to stick your head in the sand and hope it all works out, then this conversation is pointless.

But most of all, if you are going to always react to any attempts by the GAA to put some order onto proceedings, as a show of misogyny, then you're just being obstructive.