Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 22, 2022, 09:35:43 AM
For next years senior championship I would like to see something like this being trialed. It would give players from div 3 and 4 a chance to play senior championship. John Fegan should discuss on his podcast this week.

4 Amalgamations

South Down/ Mourne

Glasdrumman
Mitchell's
Attical
Bosco
Ballymartin

North Down/ Kinelarty
Kilclief
East Belfast
Tecconaught
St Pauls
Drumaness

East Down/ Lecale
Dundrum
Ardglass
Bright
The Fin
ST Johns

West Down/ Iveagh

Aghaderg
St Micheals
Dromara
Banbridge
Tullylish

Looks like you need a new map, Kilclief seems to be in the wrong place on yours.

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on November 22, 2022, 10:50:37 AM
Appeals is the GAA way. I don't like it myself. But for better or worse, it's part of our association's culture.

——

But what you're suggesting is ludicrous ie that players who train and compete at a junior level would be able to leave behind historic and ongoing factions with neighbouring clubs, would relegate/balance the needs of their own club championships, and convivially come together under a nonsense moniker and not embarrass themselves at senior football.

If you believe in fairy stories like that, you probably believe that the GAA appeals process is never abused too.

Is has happened before in Down most recently in 2011 where ASK Lecale  (Ardglass, Saul, Kilclief) were beaten by Longstone in the first round of the championship but they were not embarrassed .

It happens in Kerry.

Johnnysboys

[/quote]

Castlewellan ?
[/quote]

Barney Cunningham/Ciaran McCabe in place here

Johnnysboys

For next years senior championship I would like to see something like this being trialed. It would give players from div 3 and 4 a chance to play senior championship. John Fegan should discuss on his podcast this week.

4 Amalgamations

South Down/ Mourne

Glasdrumman
Mitchell's
Attical
Bosco
Ballymartin

North Down/ Kinelarty
Kilclief
East Belfast
Tecconaught
St Pauls
Drumaness

East Down/ Lecale
Dundrum
Ardglass
Bright
The Fin
ST Johns

West Down/ Iveagh

Aghaderg
St Micheals
Dromara
Banbridge
Tullylish

Be nice if John got a chance to actually talk on the show. The last couple of weeks he is the only one to make sense compared to the other regular pundits. On the rest of this post - can you imagine what the likes of Kilcoo would do to these teams!! Embarrassing.

ardtole

John Clarke and Jackie Lynch for Bryansford apparently.

maldini

4 Amalgamations

South Down/ Mourne

Glasdrumman
Mitchell's
Attical
Bosco
Ballymartin

North Down/ Kinelarty
Kilclief
East Belfast
Tecconaught
St Pauls
Drumaness

East Down/ Lecale
Dundrum
Ardglass
Bright
The Fin
ST Johns

West Down/ Iveagh

Aghaderg
St Micheals
Dromara
Banbridge
Tullylish

Wouldn't appeal to me at all that
The championship the way it is is a lot better

ardtole

Colm ORourke has introduced something similar in Meath, the regional teams play in a separate competition, not the Sfc, not sure if that is to change though.

Truth hurts

New Meath manager Colm O'Rourke hopes a regionalised football tournament for junior and intermediate club players will help him uncover some hidden gems for the Royals.

Meath will tonight unveil plans for a Regional Football Championship, which is to get under way later this month and is to run annually in the county.

The format of this year's competition has seen eight regional teams established – Tara, Bru na Boinne, Boyne Valley, An Tuascairt, Blackwater, Lough Crew, Darnley and Moyfenragh.

Each side is an amalgamation of clubs, for example Boyne Valley will be comprised of players from Rathkenny, Walterstown, Bective and Slane.

All of the games will be played midweek at Meath GAA's Centre of Excellence in Dunganny.

O'Rourke's appointment to the position of manager has raised hopes in the county that Meath's lengthy spell lost in the purgatory of Dublin's dark shadow could be about to draw to a close.

However, O'Rourke knows for that to happen he must first bring some new talent to the squad. The 1987 and 1988 All-Ireland winning forward was manager of Simonstown this year and so he is aware of the talent that exists in the county at senior level.

In an effort to ensure the best players from the county's junior and intermediate clubs are afforded an opportunity to show what they are capable of, this new regional championship will provide them with that shop window.

Meath will play in Division Two of the National Football League next year, where already promotion to the top flight looks like it will difficult for the Royals given the likes of Dublin, Derry, Kildare and Cork will also be vying for a top two finish.

Smurfy123

Was Clarke not meant to be heading to Drumgath?

Teams left without anyone

Clonduff
Bryansford
Annaclone
Drumgath (but thought Clarke was in)

Truth hurts

I am finding it hard to find schools results on websites or schools Facebook page. I seen the st Malachys beat the Red High in Rafferty (Rannafast B ) and St Colmans Newry got beat in both MacRory and Corn Na Nog recently. Any update on how schools in Down are getting on at the minute. Are we competing?

toby47

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 23, 2022, 08:56:01 AM
I am finding it hard to find schools results on websites or schools Facebook page. I seen the st Malachys beat the Red High in Rafferty (Rannafast B ) and St Colmans Newry got beat in both MacRory and Corn Na Nog recently. Any update on how schools in Down are getting on at the minute. Are we competing?

Ulster Colleges website is away to feck in recent years, hard to get or find results.

Below is the only results I could find on the Macrory Cup

MacRory Cup
Abbey CBS, Newry   1-12 2-9   Monaghan, St Macartan's College
Abbey were 2-07 to 0-03 down at HT, a game with a massive wind apparently.
Abbey Scorers - E Loughran 1-8, R Powell 0-2, J Crummey 0-1, C O'Hare 0-1.

Newry, St Colman's College   1-13    4-06  Castleblaney, Our Lady's Secondary School

No results for any of the below competitions, but a bit of information of schools playing at certain levels

Other Down Teams
St Patrick's Downpatrick - MacLarnon Cup (MacRory B).
St Coleman's & Abbey are in the same Rannafast (5th Year) Group.
St Colemans 5-06    0-14 Abbey CBS
St Patrick's, Downpatrick & St Malachy's ,Castlewellen. Also, in the same group in the Rafferty Cup (Rannafast B)

The Ulster Schools GAA page might be better for backtracking & trying to find results?

Truth hurts

Quote from: toby47 on November 23, 2022, 11:37:54 AM

Ulster Colleges website is away to feck in recent years, hard to get or find results.

MacRory Cup

Newry, St Colman's College   1-13    4-06  Castleblaney, Our Lady's Secondary School

No results for any of the below competitions, but a bit of information of schools playing at certain levels

Other Down Teams
St Patrick's, Downpatrick & St Malachy's ,Castlewellen. Also, in the same group in the Rafferty Cup (Rannafast B)

The Ulster Schools GAA page might be better for backtracking & trying to find results?

Thanks Toby, yeah its very hard to find fixtures and results on Ulster GAA games.

Though the Red High beat Eniskillen Royal in soccer yesterday and St Marks year eight were beaten by Kilkeel High.

toby47

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 23, 2022, 11:47:03 AM
Quote from: toby47 on November 23, 2022, 11:37:54 AM

MacRory Cup

Other Down Teams

Thanks Toby, yeah its very hard to find fixtures and results on Ulster GAA games.

Though the Red High beat Eniskillen Royal in soccer yesterday and St Marks year eight were beaten by Kilkeel High.

Any idea what club E Loughran is from? 1-8 is big scoring at MacRory level.

Hard2Listen2

Why do the Red High play in the McLarnon rather than McCrory cup?
They have a large pool of players from some good senior clubs.
They often have multiple county minors & development squad members.

Surely they should be testing themselves against the best in Ulster rather than chasing B grade trophies?