Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenyears

Master McGrath to feed seniors 
Gaelic Games 
By Seamus Maloney 

PETE McGrath says his job as new Down U21 manager is to bring the county success at that level, as well as helping usher in a new era for the Mourne senior team.

McGrath, who managed Down to All-Ireland senior success in 1991 and 1994, takes over from '91 winning captain Paddy O'Rourke, who was succeeded as senior boss by Ross Carr. McGrath, who has had stints in club management as well as Irish International Rules manager since resigning as Mourne senior boss in 2002, also revealed the lure of his native county was too strong to resist.

"Since I resigned from the Down senior team, quite a number of counties at different times have made offers and were keen to speak to me, but that love you have for your own county is special. It's hard to beat working with your own people," he said.

"When the county secretary approached me with a view to managing the U21s I had no hesitation accepting because it's a different challenge.

"It's a fresh challenge for me, though I did manage the U21s in the 90s along with the senior team. I was attracted by the prospect of working with Down players again, and working with younger players, which I hadn't done for quite a while.

"The U21 team is a feeder to the senior team, and with the new senior management in place, I think it's widely accepted that Down need fresh blood in their senior squad, and they were just keen to maybe have someone with experience undertake the role."

O'Rourke led Down to the All-Ireland U21 final last year, but the Mourne county have struggled at that level in recent years. McGrath wants to improve on their record, but is also intent on working closely with Carr to bridge the gap between minor and senior football.

"I spoke to Ross and he's delighted that I've taken up the offer. Senior trials are going ahead without U21 players, and I think he's going to leave that side of it to me to try to identify the U21 players who could be of senior potential, while he will concentrate on players above that age group.

"With things up-and-running, it would be important to work very closely with the senior management team because I'm sure at some stage there will be an overlap."

The U21 team McGrath takes charge of is likely to be backboned by the All-Ireland minor winning team of 2004, along with some 'veterans' of the 2004 U21 campaign.

However, McGrath also sees the potential for players who may not have featured at minor level to come through, perhaps ultimately to senior level.

"They are a few of that U21 team of 2004 still underage, and there's the successful minor team from 2004.

"There is a healthy crop of talent and I think it's essential that those players gain vital experience at this level by getting a decent run in the competition.

"As well as that, I think it's important to cast the net very wide. Quite often at that age you find players aren't missed, it's just that they aren't ready for county minor football.

"But then, between 17 and 19, or even up to 20, players can develop and improve an awful lot, and develop physically, so they can be more suited to play county football at 20 than they were at 17 or 18.

"So, it's important that players who are in that category aren't overlooked, it's important that we have a process to unearth talent that has developed in the interim, for the U21 team and to possibly develop further."

Bacon

I'd a bit of bother transfering across to this board.
Any word on the county convention? Any clubs putting up motions? Who's standing for the various positions.
Does Kevin Bell have more support than Jerry Quinn in the race to be Chairman?  There may be another strong candidate.
Seamus Walsh is going for County Secretary. He's done a very good job with fixtures since he took the job on.
Dermot Stewart is standing down as hurling fixtures secretary. He's done a good job too.
Brian McAvoy is standing down as hurling chairman.
Diamuid Cahill is "concidering his position" as PRO due to work commitments.

Shamrocks are putting forward a motion to restructure the IHC into a round robin competition. Any other news/rumours?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Square Ball

God Bacon you must feel better geting that lot off your chest
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

off the laces

"As well as that, I think it's important to cast the net very wide.
Just how wide pete cast's his net will be intresting to see!!!!!!
Keeps 'er' straight

Cloc Mor

To be honest, I'm just not sure about Mc Grath.  While there is no doubting what he did in the past, all was not well with An Riocht at the end of the season.  Quite a number of guys left during the year with one actually training/managing Ballymartin since the Summer.  Hope his training methods have changed because I never encountered such uninteresting, predictable, monotonous and boring drills like I did at the College.

Any word on how the senior trials went last night?  What about Magic?

TORGAEL

Any predictions for Annaclone v Bryansford & Darragh Cross v Clan na Banna this weekend ?

lfdown2

bryansford won and so stay up!liatroim clone next weekend i think!

Bacon

Well done Bryansford. It would have been bad luck it you had been relegated this year. Its down to one game between Liatroim and Annaclone. Liatroim should have too much for their neighbours.
Good luck to Bredagh this afternoon in Clones, Down's only remaining contender in Ulster. The whole county is behind you (except Flat Hedgehog and No 1).

DownFanatic

East Down U-21 A Championship Quarter Final

Naomh Seosamh (Ballykinlar, Dundrum, Aughlisnafin)  0-05
v
Cnoc Ni Drinn (Loughinisland, Teconnaught, Downpatrick) 0-14

Anybody got any more U-21 results from today?

Cloc Mor

Shows how sorry the state of Gaelic games is when it takes a combination of Loughinisland/Downpatrick and a lesser extent Teconnaught be able to put a team together.  Did these clubs not have Minor teams in the last few years and what are they doing to keep them involved.  Not looking good for the future if they cant put their own team on the field, never mind taking 3 clubs to make a team.

DownFanatic

Cloc Mor, I think there is a big problem with lads in this age section in Downpatrick. A lot of them have gone to Uni across the water while the majority of them have slipped away to the soccer. Downpatrick really have to look at themselves in regards to this. Loughinisland basically played about 6 of their Senior players against us today. Again it looks like they are struggling for numbers. Suprisingly enough Teconnaught, out of these 3 clubs, would have the most players at U-21 level and probably if pushed could of went it alone.
In regards to the Dundrum, Ballykinlar and Aughlisnafin amalgamation we dont seem to have any problem with numbers. I think we have about 17 Dundrum lads, about 8 Ballykinlar ones and around 4 from the Finn all between 18-21. This competition is a great learning curve for our three clubs and it keeps us ticking over for the next month or so.

Cloc Mor

I sympathise the the plight of clubs trying to get a team together at this time of year.  Keeping lads on board is a major problem, especially with this age group where social activities take precedence over football.  Its a bad time for this competition but and to be honest think its an absolute waste of time.

Bacon

In the Minor Hurling Championship The South/East Down team beat Portaferry 2-11 to 0-01. Good to see the the lads from outside the Ards putting it up to the Ards clubs. Big win. Liatroim & Bredagh lads were to the fore. Just shows that hurling outside the Ards isn't dead.

cloneman

Bryansford beat us yesterday by 7 points after we had been leading by 2 at half time.  We only managed 1 point in the 2nd half.  A mention has to go to the referee for one of the most biased performances I've seen in a long time.  Neutrals at the game agreed with this and I would think Bryansford fans could not deny it.  We wouldn't want to use it as an excuse for losing but it certainly doesn't help.

Anyway now to focus on the Liatroim match next weekend which should be very interesting...

6th sam

What is the possible value of the current East Down under 21 competition at this time of the year?
If it's true that Teconnaught,Downpatrick and Loughinisland are amalgamating at this level,it's completely farcical.If I was from Kilcoo,for example and was robbed of an U21 medal by the above combination,I would be extremely angry.In addition ,If I was from "Cnoc ni Drinn????",and won an under 21 medal playing for such an ad hoc amalgamation,it would be totally meaningless.Most East Down clubs need to take a long hard look at themselves,and ask why so salled Senior clubs can not field on their own at this level.It doesn't help when East Down board seem to be encouraging amalgamations in their attempts to have a credible Under 21 competition.They would be much better placed working to achieve a meaningful reserve league to replace the current set up.A bit of honesty and creative thinking is required.