Started by qwerty123, July 02, 2012, 12:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: heffo on July 02, 2012, 03:25:14 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 02, 2012, 03:09:33 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 02, 2012, 03:03:00 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 02, 2012, 02:52:24 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 02, 2012, 02:12:03 PM
I miss the Tribune - Shannon, McEvoy, Clerkin, even MacKenna who I might add is making a right tit of himself over the SJ saga...

I hope he's alright. He was a no show for the Examiner water cooler today and he was last seen tanked up firing off scorpy tweets in the middle of the night.

He did himself no favours with those tweets. Well out of order. Glad to see he had the good sense to delete them in the meantime.

Yea he's an emotional guy when it comes to Kildare football and I admire him for standing up for his opinion on the Kildare Forum but he's not the most objective when it comes to Kildare or Dublin football (very anti-Dublin), very subjective in his writing. He actually has an account on this forum too.

I seen his post on the Kildare forum last year about joining a Dublin club and then said "don't fancy walking into a dressing room with 40 locals who've known each other since they were robbing houses together at 7" - I enjoy his weekly power rankings though.

Ironic, he's from Athy...

I really like his work on the game as a whole just think he was a major catalyst in the "Kildare are a top 4 team", which nobody who knows Kildare football should have put us. That creates it's own pressures, jesus just look at the fallout from the SJ saga, the Germans might have a word for it "Schadenfreude" but we have a whole culture devoted towards it.

#newbridgeornowhere

qwerty123

Shannon is a good writer, people think he's influenced too much by American football, but he's usually very insightful.
Heaney is a good read on a Tuesday also, although he's the only decent writer in the Irish News, apart from O'Connor on a Thursay.

You'd nearly think yer man eamonn o hara is trying to write the next Illad or Odyessy.  He tries to turn his pieces into works of art, but leaves me personally having to read each line a few times to understand what he means.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Premier Emperor on July 02, 2012, 03:29:46 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 02, 2012, 02:06:34 PM
Christy O'Connor and Denis Walsh are in the Sunday Times, Keith Duggan and Malachy Clerkin are in the Times, Kieran Shannon in the Examiner is very good as well.
Shannon and Walsh are the main drivers of the Cork PR machine.

Shannon is very close to the Cork hurlers, he wrote Brian Corcoran's biography. He's also a sports psychologist which gives a great insight into these top athletes minds and comes across in his writing.
#newbridgeornowhere

sheamy

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 02, 2012, 03:31:17 PM
Martin McHugh claimed yesterday that Diarmuid Connolly is in "the top 3 forwards in the country" (also stated that Derek Savage was better than Mauric Fitz a few years back)...

That has made my day  :D :D
The man is a walking talking c*ck.

The Examiner has some good people. John Fogarty knows his game. As much as it pains me to say, even Dick Clerkin (when not on a pitch) comes across as a perceptive and intelligent head. I enjoy McKenna too. He seems like a mad b*stard which is fine by me. Duggan at the times is about the best about though.

heffo

Quote from: sheamy on July 02, 2012, 03:40:36 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 02, 2012, 03:31:17 PM
Martin McHugh claimed yesterday that Diarmuid Connolly is in "the top 3 forwards in the country" (also stated that Derek Savage was better than Mauric Fitz a few years back)...

That has made my day  :D :D
The man is a walking talking c*ck.

The Examiner has some good people. John Fogarty knows his game. As much as it pains me to say, even Dick Clerkin (when not on a pitch) comes across as a perceptive and intelligent head. I enjoy McKenna too. He seems like a mad b*stard which is fine by me. Duggan at the times is about the best about though.

Overall I'd rate the Examiner sport as the best around at the moment with an honorable mention for Clerkin in the Times.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 02, 2012, 03:32:07 PM
Like him or loath him...Liam Hayes was good. Darragh Ó Sé's making a name for himself in the Times during the week.

Ah c'mon 5 Sams..Hayes was just a WUM...still is. See him calling Kevin McMenamon useless before the Dublin v Wexford game, then giving him MOM!
I am biased but I think Darragh's articles are very good..gives a real insight aswell, not just the usual guff.

Also forgot the Gaelic life lads, which can be a very good read to be fair..very Ulster-centric obviously, but still good.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

haze

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 02, 2012, 02:09:20 PM
I know one thing, the standard of analysis by ex-players is generally awful. Ray Silke on the Examiner site this morning asserting that Kildare haven't made the last four under McGeeney.

Like, if a lad doesn't know who the All-Ireland semi-finalists were two seasons ago, how does he get this job in the first place?

Silke is a dose on paper and on telly

Bingo

Shocked to see Roy Curtis even mentioned in a thread about journalism.

qwerty123

Darragh O Sé's column on the IT is quite a good read, although I heard it's pretty much written by Billy Keane, don't know how true that is...

sheamy

Christy O'Connor is a wee lying weasel...

that is all for today.

Dinny Breen

Has there every been a worse player to lift the Sam Maguire than Ray Silke?
#newbridgeornowhere

5 Sams

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 02, 2012, 03:43:36 PM
Like him or loath him...Liam Hayes was good. Darragh Ó Sé's making a name for himself in the Times during the week.

Ah c'mon 5 Sams..Hayes was just a WUM...still is. See him calling Kevin McMenamon useless before the Dublin v Wexford game, then giving him MOM!
I am biased but I think Darragh's articles are very good..gives a real insight aswell, not just the usual guff.

Also forgot the Gaelic life lads, which can be a very good read to be fair..very Ulster-centric obviously, but still good.

You're just jealous because he thinks one of the greatest ever Kerry teams was average ;)
The Aristocrat Years

qwerty123

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 02, 2012, 03:48:04 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 02, 2012, 03:43:36 PM

You're just jealous because he thinks one of the greatest ever Kerry teams was average ;)

Which team? I haven't read any of his stuff since he basically said Seamus Moynihan was rubbish a few years back. No time for him. Pity, cos his biog "Out of our skins" is one of the best books I've ever read.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: qwerty123 on July 02, 2012, 03:48:54 PM
Tom Humphries :o

Now reviewing books for the Irish Times seemingly, I assume not Children's books.
#newbridgeornowhere