The future of Croke Park

Started by DhoireTheas, June 02, 2023, 05:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DhoireTheas

I am reading a book about Croke Park and I see that this year's All Ireland final will be the 30th final in front of the new Cusack stand. It is over 29 years old now, the old Hogan stand was 42 when it was demolished.

I wonder what Croke Park will look like in 50 or 100 years? Will it be the same as it is now? Surely modern stadiums are built to last many decades.

markl121

Hopefully it never ends up like the spaceship stadiums everyone has now, like the aviva.

Rossfan

It will be demolished with a new super Stadium built in Clones to mark Irish reunification.
The 4 Dublin Co Boards will build a joint Stadium on the last field left in Dublin.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

David McKeown

The emirates was based on Croke Park and the Aviva was based on the Emirates apparently
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Mourne Red

There'll be a new Croke Park before there's a new Casement

smelmoth

Would expect Croke Park to continue to exist in its current format for a long time yet. Stadia get rebuilt when the maintenance costs become unviable or sustained demand exceeds capacity. Not sure either are on the imminent horizon.

Don't think there is a realistic possibility of redeveloping Hill 16 to mirror the Davin stand.

I do recall a stalwart of my own county once remarking that it was a disgrace that foreigners living behind Hill 16 were blocking that redevelopment. Never meet your heroes.

Rossfan

The Dublin to Sligo railway line runs behind Hill 16.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Manning18

Any grand ideas we may have had about increased capacity were crushed around the end of the noughties. It used to be a near sell out for every Dublin game back then, and 3-4 extra per season. Now it's only a true sell out for the finals, with 65k+ attendances reserved for certain big days involving Limerick or Cork hurlers, or an odd football double header including the likes of Armagh or a blockbuster semi like Kerry v Dublin. If anything the stadiums considerably too big now

The oldest part of the stadium, the Cusack, is still perfectly adequate in basically all areas. Corporate facilities there are still not far behind the Hogan side. To have that being the case 30 years on is probably testament to the vision of the admin behind the reconstruction at that time. I suspect we'll see near to zero changes to the stadium for the next 20 years

Kidder81

Quote from: DhoireTheas on June 02, 2023, 05:29:08 PM
I am reading a book about Croke Park and I see that this year's All Ireland final will be the 30th final in front of the new Cusack stand. It is over 29 years old now, the old Hogan stand was 42 when it was demolished.

I wonder what Croke Park will look like in 50 or 100 years? Will it be the same as it is now? Surely modern stadiums are built to last many decades.

What is the book ?

The Subbie

Most modern structures are built with a 120 year design life contemplated when in planning
I'd say Croker will outlast most of us

Eamonnca1

I'm sure the railway could run through the middle of some future structure at the Hill 16 end.

I seem to remember hearing or reading somewhere that the GAA quietly buys up the houses at that end as they become available, in anticipation of expanding the stadium in that direction. Anyone know if there's any truth in that?

clarshack

Quote from: The Subbie on June 03, 2023, 03:58:13 AM
Most modern structures are built with a 120 year design life contemplated when in planning
I'd say Croker will outlast most of us

the stadium looks like it is ageing already.

seafoid

Quote from: Manning18 on June 02, 2023, 09:17:27 PM
Any grand ideas we may have had about increased capacity were crushed around the end of the noughties. It used to be a near sell out for every Dublin game back then, and 3-4 extra per season. Now it's only a true sell out for the finals, with 65k+ attendances reserved for certain big days involving Limerick or Cork hurlers, or an odd football double header including the likes of Armagh or a blockbuster semi like Kerry v Dublin. If anything the stadiums considerably too big now

The oldest part of the stadium, the Cusack, is still perfectly adequate in basically all areas. Corporate facilities there are still not far behind the Hogan side. To have that being the case 30 years on is probably testament to the vision of the admin behind the reconstruction at that time. I suspect we'll see near to zero changes to the stadium for the next 20 years
I think it's too big for the GAA, not just in terms of size but also in term of maintenance costs, commercial focus  and potentially in terms of future rebuild if cost inflation on the A5 is anything to go by.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: David McKeown on June 02, 2023, 06:54:04 PM
The emirates was based on Croke Park and the Aviva was based on the Emirates apparently
Highbury was turned into high end flats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXR2xtLMBck
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mad tan

I thing its a special place for all Irish people. And i hope to bring my grandchildrento it later this summer. My first visit was 1964 havnt been that much lately. But have had some wonderful memories  have been to Wembley. Old Trafford. Ect ect but Crocker is the only place where the hairs stand on the back of the neck.