Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Galway are the only team in the Sam Maguire to win all championship matches so far.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

lurganblue

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 31, 2023, 12:36:00 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2023, 11:38:42 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on May 31, 2023, 10:22:39 AM
Quote from: statto on May 30, 2023, 03:01:26 PM
Quote from: Orior on May 30, 2023, 02:36:28 PM
This Ulster Final hang-over thingy.

So when Nugent was shooting for a point, mid-kick he thought "ah the Ulster Final" and then kicked it into the keeper's hand?

Near the end of the game, as Rafferty was kicking the ball out he thought "ah the Ulster Final" and kicked it into the hands of a Westmeath player?

Hmmm, not sure.
Nugent after his displays this season will be doing well to see any game time this week, form has fallen off a cliff and the fact that hes joint captain probably got him the start the last day.  The use of Conaty has been strange, he quit full time soccer with portadown didn't see any meaningful gametime during the league then hes sprung from the bench in an ulster final and gets no minutes again last week when chasing the game for the most part.  Use of Cian McConville or lack of also strange given how poor Nugent has been.

I'm actually surprised McConville has remained in the squad as i am sure he is ragin.

He has been around the squad a few years now yet I don't recall him playing very much at all. You can look at that a few different ways. He has been arguably the best club footballer in Armagh for the last 2 seasons and should be getting a chance. He isn't producing in training and isn't up to the level of a senior inter county footballer. Or he just doesn't fit the profile of footballer required to fit into the Armagh game plan. I think it is probably the latter as I think he is a very talented footballer.

Nugent has been below par all season but he is a stronger, physical more robust player who will work backwards. Duffy and Hall are other players who can do the defensive work required in Armaghs system. Both players have been decent during this championship and it is a very unglamorous role that they fulfill yet supporters still expect them to kick 2 or 3 points a game when they have a forwards jersey on their backs.   
I'd be giving Cian his chance. Has the ability so throw him in.

Duffy and Hall get through a crazy amount of work that you probably only appreciate when you're there

I thought Duffy was excellent in the 1st half v Westmeath

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: seafoid on May 31, 2023, 01:20:47 PM
Galway are the only team in the Sam Maguire to win all championship matches so far.
Long may that streak continue!
Have only played 3 matches to be fair though.

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 31, 2023, 01:40:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 31, 2023, 01:20:47 PM
Long may that streak continue!
Have only played 3 matches to be fair though.
Very few expected Kerry to lose and Derry and Dublin to draw

An Fhairche Abu

Hernon in as Dylan McHugh out with injury. Sticking with McDaid at 7, I know plenty aren't a fan of it but I can see the logic.
Cathal Sweeney very unlucky not to start but is performing really well off the bench. Not sure about dropping Maher out of the 15 although Conroy and Cooke were two of the top performers last time out in fairness.
Nice to see Mulkerrin return to the squad, has been a long road back for him.

Hopefully a good performance Saturday, weather conditions won't be a problem this weekend.

larryin89

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 01, 2023, 08:30:25 PM

Hernon in as Dylan McHugh out with injury. Sticking with McDaid at 7, I know plenty aren't a fan of it but I can see the logic.
Cathal Sweeney very unlucky not to start but is performing really well off the bench. Not sure about dropping Maher out of the 15 although Conroy and Cooke were two of the top performers last time out in fairness.
Nice to see Mulkerrin return to the squad, has been a long road back for him.

Hopefully a good performance Saturday, weather conditions won't be a problem this weekend.

Jesus I hate to say it but that panel is off the charts with talent , won't be beat this year . I have them backed before I'm accused of form of yerra . Got them @ 13/2 a couple of weeks back .the winnings will help soften the blow
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Blowitupref

Jack Glynn named to start suggests his injury against Tyrone wasn't as bad as feared.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

GaillimhIarthair

Brilliant to see Mulkerrin back in the match day panel.  It's been a long and very tough road back for that lad.

seafoid

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: larryin89 on June 01, 2023, 09:00:08 PM
Jesus I hate to say it but that panel is off the charts with talent , won't be beat this year . I have them backed before I'm accused of form of yerra . Got them @ 13/2 a couple of weeks back .the winnings will help soften the blow
Yeah tis like looking at a Dublin 6 in a row match day panel in their pomp alright.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Stop the lights Larry, you are some ticket.

Manning18

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 02, 2023, 09:32:09 AM
Yeah tis like looking at a Dublin 6 in a row match day panel in their pomp alright.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Haha yeah exactly. Galway fans might know that Fitz was really solid in the league or know of Tomo's talent but I doubt too many outsiders do. I'd say many look at our subs list and say "I thought they were supposed to have added depth??" To be honest, they wouldn't be fully wrong, I think we have a very good 20 or so but there 4 or so there that have no hope of seeing significant gametime this year

A return of McHugh, Eoghan Kelly and potentially Molloy would make it look a lot stronger, hopefully they're all reasonably close. Patrick Kelly would be a great option as cover for one of Tierney/Cooke but is struggling with his back I think.

galwayman

Quote from: Manning18 on June 02, 2023, 10:23:43 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Haha yeah exactly. Galway fans might know that Fitz was really solid in the league or know of Tomo's talent but I doubt too many outsiders do. I'd say many look at our subs list and say "I thought they were supposed to have added depth??" To be honest, they wouldn't be fully wrong, I think we have a very good 20 or so but there 4 or so there that have no hope of seeing significant gametime this year

A return of McHugh, Eoghan Kelly and potentially Molloy would make it look a lot stronger, hopefully they're all reasonably close. Patrick Kelly would be a great option as cover for one of Tierney/Cooke but is struggling with his back I think.
Eoghan Kelly has played for the club in at least one league game recently anyway according to Sean og de Papr on the Backdoor Gaa podcast so hopefully is nearly there.
Not sure what th extent of Dylan McHughs injury is.
On another note - anyone recommend somewhere to have a bit of lunch and a beer in Mullingar before the game?

tonto1888

Quote from: galwayman on June 02, 2023, 10:33:58 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on June 02, 2023, 10:23:43 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Eoghan Kelly has played for the club in at least one league game recently anyway according to Sean og de Papr on the Backdoor Gaa podcast so hopefully is nearly there.
Not sure what th extent of Dylan McHughs injury is.
On another note - anyone recommend somewhere to have a bit of lunch and a beer in Mullingar before the game?

Theres a pub fairly close to the ground which is good for both. Cant remember its name but its on the main street. You walk up a side alley beside the pub and the ground is more or less there