Sam Maguire Group 3 - Dublin, Sligo, Roscommon, Kildare

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Bad day at the office, fair play to Kildare better team on the day won but 12 or 13 wides inexcusable at this level.
Thankfully  3 of the 4 teams go through and after today's series of results might be better 3rd than 2nd.
Tough ask to pick up after that today and face a big knock out game in 6 or 7 days.
Bit of criticism of management doing the rounds .
I thought Cox should have been put on last 10 or 15 as he might have kicked a score or 2.
Anyway let's go for broke next week and see what happens.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rudi

Kildare deserved their win, seemed to want it more. We were surprising flat & probably our worst performance under Burke. Some strange calls on the line, Donie Smith & D Murtagh well off it & both should have been removed at half time for Cox & Connolly. No Hughes added after 15mins of the second half when attacking pace was required. Our bunched up positioning in the forward line was poor. Our shooting very poor. Enda Smith aside thought we were really poor on & off the pitch. Kildare pressed our kickouts & we had no answer, we didnt press theirs. They won at least 5 offensive marks that resulted in 5 points, the last one was a great effort, worthy of winning the game. Looks like they coped on to our full backline that lacks height.
Mind you, looking at the teams place 2 & 3 in their respective groups, would probably be happier on the road, than facing the likes of Monaghan, Mayo or Tyrone. Hopefully we can lift it for next weekend, we should not fear Donegal, Cork or a Galway team minus a few of their star players.

AustinPowers

On the Kildare  timewasting episode.........

Surely  the sin bin needs extending  to 20 minutes?  10 minutes is  not much really , considering most  games now  are around  80 minutes.  Missing 10 minutes from 80 is  not much tbh. 20 minutes  is a quarter of a match  and a  more fitting punishment

imtommygunn

I would say that's a decent idea. It always seems very easy to dwindle away time for ten minutes.

yellowcard

Very simple solution. Bring in a stop clock and make it 10 minutes of actual playing time. The stop clock is a no brainer and takes time keeping out of the hands of the referee.

armaghniac

Quote from: Rudi on June 21, 2023, 10:35:48 AM
https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-galway-and-roscommon-victims-of-flawed-system-why-is-one-match-given-higher-status-then-rest/a1596219220.html

For once I agree.

It is clear why there is a head to head, to prevent a situation where someone hammers a team in a dead rubber to drive up their score difference. You could have a team that fought bravely on the first two games, but realising that they were gone their best players might o on holiday before the last day. Armagh were relegated from Div 1 because Mayo were not bothered on the last day and Monaghan beat them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

weareros

Quote from: armaghniac on June 21, 2023, 05:12:39 PM
Quote from: Rudi on June 21, 2023, 10:35:48 AM
https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-galway-and-roscommon-victims-of-flawed-system-why-is-one-match-given-higher-status-then-rest/a1596219220.html

For once I agree.

It is clear why there is a head to head, to prevent a situation where someone hammers a team in a dead rubber to drive up their score difference. You could have a team that fought bravely on the first two games, but realising that they were gone their best players might o on holiday before the last day. Armagh were relegated from Div 1 because Mayo were not bothered on the last day and Monaghan beat them.

Agree head-to-head is fairer than score difference. Brehony seems quite confused in that article. Roscommon and Galway did not play in a Connacht Final, only a semi-final. We could have met again in the prelims. In fact I don't think the score difference in a 3 way tie either is a good idea especially if one team gets the weakest team in final match. It makes what was going to be a terrible mismatch even worse. I'd opt for higher league ranking in that scenario.

Rossfan

Long past time Breheny hung up the pen or whatever journalists use nowadays.
I've no problem with the head to head.
If score difference used to separate 3 teams it should be based on results of games between the 3 concerned.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

blanketattack

Cork v Roscommon is very hard to gauge.
2 Jekyll and Hyde (no pun intended) teams.
Which Cork team will show up - the Cork that lost to Clare and struggled v Louth or the one that beat Mayo and pushed Kerry all the way?
Similar with Roscommon, the team that beat Mayo and drew with Dublin or the team that got hammered by Galway and lost to Kildare?

Blowitupref

Quote from: blanketattack on June 22, 2023, 05:37:34 PM
Cork v Roscommon is very hard to gauge.
2 Jekyll and Hyde (no pun intended) teams.
Which Cork team will show up - the Cork that lost to Clare and struggled v Louth or the one that beat Mayo and pushed Kerry all the way?
Similar with Roscommon, the team that beat Mayo and drew with Dublin or the team that got hammered by Galway and lost to Kildare?

Wasn't a hammering.  4 point winning margin for Galway 1-13 to 1-9 and Galway got the last score of the game deep into injury time.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose