Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: LeoMc on April 18, 2017, 07:31:49 AM
Quote from: J70 on April 18, 2017, 02:24:54 AM
Quote from: Zulu on April 17, 2017, 08:53:16 PM
That's easy to say but that's putting the referee in a very awkward situation. Indeed, if the penalty for a cynical foul (what's the definition for a start?) is a 20m free or if in a goal scoring position (define that?) a lot of players could well try to play for that resulting in referees getting hauled over the coals on the SG when replays show the forward dived or grabbed the hand and pulled the defender down.

Blatant diving or manufacturing the foul through the grabbing of the defender's arm can easily be dealt with by retrospective punishment. Give a player a punitive suspension, and he'll think twice about doing it again. Of course, that is only really plausible for intercounty championship, but that is the case at the moment anyway with any kind of video evidence-based discipline.

As for goal-scoring position, they've no problem with the concept in soccer. I don't see much difference. Last defender commits foul and prevents the forward advancing in on goal and/or getting his shot off. I wouldn't even worry too much about the cynical part if the fouled team is not getting the raw end of the deal. Throw the card in on top of the penalty or handy free to deal with that part.
We don't have off side. Maher was not the last defender by a long way last Sunday.

I was talking about the attacker clean through on goal being dragged back or pulled down. "Goal scoring position".

J70

Quote from: Taylor on April 18, 2017, 09:30:03 AM
Last man back simply wouldnt work.

What if there was a 3 attackers v 2 defenders scenario? Defender pulls a man down - isnt last man back so doesnt count?

Pull him down, give the penalty/free. If he is not the last defender in the attacker's path, then that is reflected in the card given.

Jinxy

The 'last man' rule works well in soccer because of the offside rule.
You rarely get a situation where defenders are converging on the attacker from multiple directions as it's usually a ball over the top and all the defenders will be in a line.
Much harder to have a 'last man' rule in gaelic football.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

I was watching a video about the differences between rugby league and union. The pepole who came up with the rules for rugby league wanted a game that was easy to understand for spectators. And that had balance. So you get 6 goes to run with the ball before you hand it over to the other side. GF needs a revamp like that, with clarity the focus. The black card is too complicated. Piecemeal change doesn't really work.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

Quote from: Jinxy on April 18, 2017, 12:28:24 PM
The 'last man' rule works well in soccer because of the offside rule.
You rarely get a situation where defenders are converging on the attacker from multiple directions as it's usually a ball over the top and all the defenders will be in a line.
Much harder to have a 'last man' rule in gaelic football.

So forget the last man bit. Give the penalty/easy free for the foul committed to stop the player getting clear of his marker and into a good position. It would obviously need a lot of discussion before settling on the rules and penalties, but the option should not be let your man go and advance to a good position for a score attempt or assist OR take a black card for the team. Unless we are all happy to see Cavanagh on McManus type fouls when the chips are down?

Brolly is talking sense.

Fuzzman

Of course J70 nobody wants to see a tackle like that and can you imagine the uproar if Mayo were down 2 points to Dublin and in the final minute of injury time Keegan is played through on goal and Diarmuid Connolly comes from nowhere to pull him down with him through one on one with the keeper.
These type of fouls are very rare but they really are the ones to anger people as its so unsporting behaviour but it is very difficult to put it in to words how to define such a foul. Maybe if they could just focus on being inside the 21 yard line with all defenders behind the player with the ball and only the keeper to beat then a penalty could be awarded and a red card.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Stallion

Delighted to have everyone on board with my suggestion.  It just shows that a good idea can win people over immediately.

Thanks for being my sounding board folks.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ONeill on April 18, 2017, 03:57:44 PM
Would this goal happen in 2017?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxfZef0bNVU

Similar to the build up for Tipp v Armagh a few weeks ago.

Hotrocks

Quote from: The Stallion on April 18, 2017, 04:22:09 PM
Delighted to have everyone on board with my suggestion.  It just shows that a good idea can win people over immediately.

Thanks for being my sounding board folks.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D clueless

The Stallion

I make that 10 or 11 posts in about a many days aimed at me yet saying very little. Perhaps someone has a crush on me? If so, I'm flattered but not interested.

dec

http://www.punditarena.com/gaa/aaron-ward/colm-cooper-responds-harsh-joe-brolly-criticism/

Colm Cooper has responded to the criticism he received from Joe Brolly on RTÉ's League Sunday programme following the announcement of his retirement.

The Gooch had praise heaped on him from near and afar in the sporting world following the announcement of his inter-county retirement. He was lauded for all he achieved and almost universally recognised as one of the finest Gaelic footballers of all time.
However, pundit Brolly grabbed headlines for claiming that the Kerry legend lacked leadership qualities and never performed when his team needed him the most; in times of adversity.
Addressing the Derryman's controversial views on RTÉ Radio 1 this morning, the Dr. Croke's attacker brushed off the opinion of the outspoken pundit. Cooper claimed that Brolly simply "likes to go against the grain sometimes just to create the bait."

The eight-time All Star stated:

"I take Joe for what he is. He is a very outspoken pundit. He likes to go against the grain sometimes just to create the bait.
    "I certainly don't lie awake at night thinking about what Joe is going to say about me.
    "In the earlier part of my career he thought I was a fantastic player. In the latter years he has changed a little bit.
    "I played for Kerry and Dr Crokes to win medals and challenge for titles, not to satisfy Joe's needs or what he thinks about my character.
    "If I let Joe get to me I don't think I'd ever tog out. He has his views and I think he gets a kick out of winding Kerry people up as well and they always bit back a bit as well which he loves. I don't take it too seriously."

Speaking publicly for the first time since calling time on his illustrious Kerry journey, the 33-year-old was asked if he would say hello and shake Brolly's hand if he bumped into him at Croke Park some day, to which he responded:

"I'm not too sure about that, it wouldn't be all hugs and kisses. I respect his opinion. I don't think it's a universal opinion if I'm being honest. That's his way of looking at things. People down in Kerry see me at club matches and playing for Kerry and how much time and effort I put into football.
    "They may have different views as well and I'm sure Joe would have to respect that. They see me up close and personal and what I'm like and maybe they feel I have all the characteristics and attributes that Joe speaks about.
    "They get a little bit annoyed and bite back which Joe certainly likes I think."

Jinxy

If you're trying to say you don't take Joe too seriously, say that and nothing else.
This sounds to me like Joe got to him a bit.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on April 18, 2017, 08:43:12 PM
If you're trying to say you don't take Joe too seriously, say that and nothing else.
This sounds to me like Joe got to him a bit.

Probably sees it as much an audition for the enviable summer punditry as anything in all reality.

Sky or RTÉ? RTE would be more box office for the viewer but less cash in hand.

AZOffaly

I think it's funny the interviewer thought he said 'the bait' instead of 'debate'.