extortion

Started by illdecide, March 22, 2024, 09:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: gallsman on March 26, 2024, 03:28:17 PMAsk your camarero the next time you're in Tenerife what he makes compared to a barman in Ireland.

You've missed the key point.

They are selling draught beer for half the price that a publican here can buy it in.

Your camerero isn't part of the equation at this point.

gallsman

The point is about cost. Publicans aren't paying 6e to buy in a pint.

A pint of Estrella Damm will cost you the same in Belfast as a pint of Guinness, and that's not Diageo. Why?

Diageo may be comparatively expensive but the point of sale in Ireland gouges far, far worse than the big bad multinational.

armaghniac

Quote from: gallsman on March 26, 2024, 05:38:40 PMThe point is about cost. Publicans aren't paying 6e to buy in a pint.

A pint of Estrella Damm will cost you the same in Belfast as a pint of Guinness, and that's not Diageo. Why?

Diageo may be comparatively expensive but the point of sale in Ireland gouges far, far worse than the big bad multinational.

There is a cost to running a pub, a restaurant charges more for a steak than a butcher does. However, the prices in Belfast seem to be taking the piss.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewobbler

Quote from: gallsman on March 26, 2024, 05:38:40 PMThe point is about cost. Publicans aren't paying 6e to buy in a pint.

In Belfast City Centre (£6-6.50 a pint) the point of sale gouges every bit as much as Diageo. And more fool those that pay it.

In the rest of the six counties (£4.20-£4.80 a pint), it's entirely a Diageo gouge.

imtommygunn

I do think rates in Belfast are extortionate too so that is a factor. I don't think running a pub, especially these days, is as profitable as people think.

gallsman

Quote from: armaghniac on March 26, 2024, 05:49:01 PM

There is a cost to running a pub, a restaurant charges more for a steak than a butcher does. However, the prices in Belfast seem to be taking the piss.

Cities are more expensive than the club up the road. Quelle surprise. Higher rates, higher wages etc, it all adds up.

The price of a pint, wholesale in the keg is going up 6-8c. Wait and see how the price to the punter jumps. Multiples of that over the course of a year I'd bet.

Armagh18

Diageo are taking the piss. Theres not a whole pile of profit in a pint with the price of kegs, your average pub thats charging £4.50 or so a pint isn't making much. Its the halfins especially shots where the profit is. Even bottles sure they're being sold at about 4x the price you buy them at.

The bigger pubs get a fair whack of a discount too the more kegs they order per week.

JoG2

Home shebeen with a TV / firestick for big sporting events , box of beer or if you enjoy a pint, a beer machine, half a dozen friends. I wouldn't darken the door of a pub in Derry very often, odd birthday, after a big Sat evening Derry game.

thewobbler

Quote from: gallsman on March 26, 2024, 06:10:36 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 26, 2024, 05:49:01 PM

Cities are more expensive than the club up the road. Quelle surprise. Higher rates, higher wages etc, it all adds up.

The price of a pint, wholesale in the keg is going up 6-8c. Wait and see how the price to the punter jumps. Multiples of that over the course of a year I'd bet.

Wetherspoons can sell pints at under £4 in every major city in the UK.

The difference in how Wetherspoons and Diageo treat the end customer in a public house is startling.

Duine Inteacht Eile

What are pubs paying Diageo per pint nowadays? Couldn't be much over £2?

seafoid

Shrinkflation is when you py the same price but get less. This is very common now.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

angermanagement

Received my car insurance renewal yesterday. Was £670 last year, no accidents or claims, 6 years no claim bonus and the feckers are looking £3760.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: angermanagement on March 26, 2024, 09:47:02 PMReceived my car insurance renewal yesterday. Was £670 last year, no accidents or claims, 6 years no claim bonus and the feckers are looking £3760.
;D  they are wankers. Must be a Nigerian Prince running the insurance companies.

marty34

Quote from: angermanagement on March 26, 2024, 09:47:02 PMReceived my car insurance renewal yesterday. Was £670 last year, no accidents or claims, 6 years no claim bonus and the feckers are looking £3760.

Is that a like for like quote?

If so, crazy stuff.

Armagh18

Jesus. Must be some mistake there surely??