Using your phone in the USA- short term.

Started by Sandino, May 13, 2015, 01:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandino

Hi I am thinking of heading to America later this year, we are hoping to use our mobile phones there. Are there any short term tariffs that we could use? Could we use American sim cards. Or are we stuck with our European phones and very high roaming charges. I understand that we could use Skype etc and wifi but what are my options around basic calls, texts and data?
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

JoG2

if yer on the 3 network, it wont cost you anything

heganboy

If your phone is unlocked you can pick up a sim card from about $10 from best buy, or order online ahead of time. make sure that it is unlocked by the carrier ahead of travel or it is a mess
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

gallsman

If looking to use 4G, be careful of the bands. Most international editions of phones aren't capable of supporting the 4G/LTE bands that American carriers use.

If not, you should just get a PAYG sim and stick it in your phone. Double check compatibility though. Some phones will only work with particular networks.

Quote from: JoG2 on May 13, 2015, 01:26:49 PM
if yer on the 3 network, it wont cost you anything

Are you sure?! I didn't know they'd added the US to Three Like Home. Is there a 3 network in the States now?

Canalman

One other option is to buy a cheap pay as you go phone here before you go .........top it up and use it in America for emergency contact only. Give the new number to family before you go.

Tbh, I would be terrified to go with a billphone in case I am landed with a huge bill later despite all the broohaha .

armaghniac

Phone compatibility is still a small issue. The networks are ATT and TMobile, and virtual operators work on these networks. Verizon is different technology. Most phones do the 3G bands for ATT, but some phones are missing some of the 3G bands used by TMobile, only the top end phones like iPhone 6 have both the European and US 4G bands.

I used ATT gophone.
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/gophone.html

Go phone has free texts to a rake of countries included, including Ireland, but not the UK for some reason.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B