Too many for one Team

Started by From the Bunker, April 08, 2019, 08:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

I would go with strongest at u14, if numbers are around 30 try to have a B team. It's possible to field a minimum of 13 I think.

BenDover

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on April 10, 2019, 07:59:18 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 10, 2019, 06:01:38 PM
Can I ask when should clubs start emphasising competitiveness? U14 onwards?
The kids will be competitive anyway, some more than others but yes, our club would not be selecting a strongest team until Feile kicks in at U14 level.  Up to that point, it's all about giving everyone equal game time regardless of ability.  As some other lads have alluded to here, it can be a tough pill to swallow at times when the local rivals are handing out the odd hiding with their strongest team at U10!!  The former approach will serve you best in the long run Farr.  Best of luck with whatever age group you are looking after.
This is a hot topic of discussion among our club coaches at the minute, we're badly stuck for numbers between U14 and U16 and we're taking 2 approaches to resolve it:
1. Ask the players currently playing what we need to do to keep them playing
2. trying to implement a policy of equal playing time U12-U18 i.e. every player getting at least a half, a strategy that will be implemented by England Rugby for their 6-18 year old players. Our younger groups try to setup up games so there are no subs or we use rolling subs to ensure everyone gets loads of playing time.

Games are competitive regardless of age group, kids do not like to lose and therefore will try their best to win. Why do people feel giving players the opportunity of equal game time post U12 shouldn't be a given? Is it not better to have players playing with the club for as long as possible even if they do not go on to play senior?

imtommygunn

It's also short sighted. Some players are late developers and in clubs with bigger numbers players who could have been very good will drop off.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: BenDover on April 11, 2019, 08:52:03 AM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on April 10, 2019, 07:59:18 PM
The kids will be competitive anyway, some more than others but yes, our club would not be selecting a strongest team until Feile kicks in at U14 level.  Up to that point, it's all about giving everyone equal game time regardless of ability.  As some other lads have alluded to here, it can be a tough pill to swallow at times when the local rivals are handing out the odd hiding with their strongest team at U10!!  The former approach will serve you best in the long run Farr.  Best of luck with whatever age group you are looking after.
This is a hot topic of discussion among our club coaches at the minute, we're badly stuck for numbers between U14 and U16 and we're taking 2 approaches to resolve it:
1. Ask the players currently playing what we need to do to keep them playing
2. trying to implement a policy of equal playing time U12-U18 i.e. every player getting at least a half, a strategy that will be implemented by England Rugby for their 6-18 year old players. Our younger groups try to setup up games so there are no subs or we use rolling subs to ensure everyone gets loads of playing time.

Games are competitive regardless of age group, kids do not like to lose and therefore will try their best to win. Why do people feel giving players the opportunity of equal game time post U12 shouldn't be a given? Is it not better to have players playing with the club for as long as possible even if they do not go on to play senior?
I absolutely agree with you but U14 (Feile) is the first time we would move towards fielding a strong team within an age group as up to that point ALL teams are equally balanced.  The Galway football feile starts this weekend and we will field 2 teams but the A team is obviously stronger.  We have 2 competing at U16 level also but only 1 at minor and obviously we are hoping to improve on that and keep players within the club and try to keep reducing any fall off in numbers.  I accept there will be some fall off but our aim is to minimise it as much as possible. 

Itchy

Its mad the different challenges of clubs. Ive a boy and a girl. The boy stays with his club, they have 15 boys and need everyone of them to field, sometime we have to go down the age level to make a team. My daughter plays in an amalgamated girls club. There are 30 girls on the panel. They only could round up enough coaches for one team. She was lucky to be one of the girls that got a game from the youngest group, 7/8 of her friends got 2 mins at the end. It comes down to parent volunteering in my daughters case and in my sons case its about never giving up on any child or you are stuck. Different challenges for different clubs.

manfromdelmonte

What does competitive mean though? Boys want competitive games at U12. As do girls.
I'd want all our Under 10s to be able match their opponents skillwise.
The growth spurt will happen eventually for all children

From the Bunker

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 11, 2019, 05:31:49 PM
What does competitive mean though? Boys want competitive games at U12. As do girls.
I'd want all our Under 10s to be able match their opponents skillwise.
The growth spurt will happen eventually for all children

I don't understand this sentence.

From the Bunker

Hi, back again! As I was saying earlier we have a panel of 27 for 13 a side under 12 Girls. 8 Girls play every minute of every game that leaves 5 places for up to usually 15 Girls on game day.

It's a mess of players getting quarters in the full forward line where they see Fuk all ball.

Anyway time to move on!

What is the procedure for transferring from one club to another in the LGFA? I know the ladies game is like soccer and players can move to any club.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 24, 2019, 11:40:27 PM
Hi, back again! As I was saying earlier we have a panel of 27 for 13 a side under 12 Girls. 8 Girls play every minute of every game that leaves 5 places for up to usually 15 Girls on game day.

It's a mess of players getting quarters in the full forward line where they see Fuk all ball.

Anyway time to move on!

What is the procedure for transferring from one club to another in the LGFA? I know the ladies game is like soccer and players can move to any club.

Why not a 2nd team? Two 13 a sides would be great for more game time. Yes 1 would miss out, but I'm sure it would be a revolving door.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Dinny Breen

Anyway time to move on!

Why are 8 girls playing every minute of every game?
#newbridgeornowhere

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 25, 2019, 09:16:35 AM

Anyway time to move on!

I'm guessing it's to do with the W word. This is worth a read for anyone involved with any team https://changingthegameproject.com/a-higher-purpose-than-winning/
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

From the Bunker

Anyway time to move on!

We are good enough to go far in the 'A' under 12 Championship. Winning this would be huge for the club! Taking any of these 8 players off would lessen this!
I totally understand both sides.

There is no animosity here. They are doing what is best for to win a trophy. And I'm doing what is best for my daughter who is lost in a very big squad with a plethora of other kids in the same boat.

Anyway anyone know the process to switching club in LFGA?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 25, 2019, 10:14:49 AM

Anyway time to move on!

We are good enough to go far in the 'A' under 12 Championship. Winning this would be huge for the club! Taking any of these 8 players off would lessen this!

There is no animosity here. They are doing what is best for to win a trophy. And I'm doing what is best for my daughter who is lost in a very big squad with a plethora of other kids in the same boat.

FFS. Ridiculous mentality. 
#newbridgeornowhere

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 25, 2019, 12:14:48 PM

Anyway time to move on!

Crazy yet commonplace outlook. Watch them girls drift away over the next few years. Hopefully it's to other clubs and not from the game.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

From the Bunker

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 25, 2019, 12:27:01 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 25, 2019, 12:14:48 PM

Anyway time to move on!

Crazy yet commonplace outlook. Watch them girls drift away over the next few years. Hopefully it's to other clubs and not from the game.

The thing is when a club has such numbers it hopes that the average to weak drift away and see winning as a way of holding onto the talented. It is competitive sport after all. Inclusion is only a way of getting registration money at the beginning of the season.