Laois Senior Football 2017

Started by Tony, October 14, 2016, 11:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Brilliant Monument Road, just had to put them both up together...

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Back to more serious things, here is the team for tomorrow night v Wicklow..

High Fielder

A game of two halves this evening. They played with the wind and the slope in the first half, and individual mistakes from us handed them a half time lead. Our full back line looked dodgy under the high ball, but in fairness, I'm not sure any of the three who were in there are suited to those positions. Second half and our superior ability and athleticism took over. They too looked vulnerable at the back and we were kicking some nice scores. They offered little against the breeze and up the slope.

Best for us Begley, Jamie Farrell and O Connor, but that's just my opinion. I'd like to see us more patient with ball in hand, but overall, we looked much better than Wicklow. The incident for the sending off happened off the ball and there were a couple of other skirmishes, but it was mostly played in good spirit. The bobble on the pitch caught both sides out at times, but it's January and you'll get that. The players look happy and committed, and that'll do for me.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Good win and it makes for a great tussle against Meath in Stradbally at the weekend. Is O'Loughlin on the panel or what's going on there ??
Who was sent off tonight??

Don Draper

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on January 11, 2017, 11:52:56 PM
Good win and it makes for a great tussle against Meath in Stradbally at the weekend. Is O'Loughlin on the panel or what's going on there ??
Who was sent off tonight??
Johns grandmother passed away this week, she's responsible for quite a lot of footballers in this county.

Doran got the red.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Thanks Don. Pity about Doran's red, he played very well last Saturday and seems to be a good addition to the panel.

Unlaoised

Decent performance tonight in the second half the first half we struggled with the conditions .

Ruairi O'connor was excellent a constant thorn in the Wicklow defence I think he ended up with 1-5 in the end.

Farrell was also a standout  he showed great composure on the ball that others didn't

Colm Begley looks in great shape and as fit as ever.He is a great tackler and this often gets over looked when people talk about him and how he plays.

Donie was in and out of it and Meaney still hasn't shaken off the rustiness as regards judging the catch but that will come.

Gary walsh took his goal well.

Doran will be dissapointed with the red the Wicklow guy beside me said he struck out alright I didn't see it he was playing well up to that.

Others to impress its hard to say they did all try hard ...Lillis not suited to full back and looked a bit of the pace but thats understandable with being only back in and would prob better with Brody behind him .Kehoe didn't do much wrong but Brody is a far better vocally .

That said Timmons is a massive loss to the full back line and we will need to get someone in their soon to fill the gap.

Hard to know what work Wicklow have done but Laois looked a yard faster and fitter all over the field.

I lost track of the subs that came in and to be honest I was so cold I left before we got the last 3 points.

One things for sure Gareth Dillion is not cut out for corner back but God the boy gives everything.

Infact Laois as a team are as hungry as I've seen them since Mcnulty .

Meath will be an altogether different test on saturday I see they had nearly 4,000 at their game again.

Will Stradbally be suitable to hold this game now if say Meath bring down 800-1200 ?Which they could as there is a massive buzz up there in the county with all their big wins in friendlies before christmas.
LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

Very good score to put up at this time of year.

Saturday night will be tasty now as Meath really fancy themselves this year and McEntee seems to have everyone on board including the supporters who are attending in big numbers. It's the O'Byrne cu p but I would think this game will be as close to a league encounter as you'll get so we'll learn alot more from Laois. Expect a hard hitting game with plenty of good football and our lads will have to be on the ball from the start as Meath are flying at the minute.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

ILikeStrawberryJam

Thanks for the match reports lads .. Thinking of going along Saturday .. will Stradbally take a couple of thousand supporters?
Is there a bit of a stand there?

steven seagal

No, there are two banks either side of the pitch, and one narrow road in and out of the place, which will make any sort of crowd attending a traffic nightmare. You'll be as well off parking somewhere on the main street and walking up, I would think.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

It's a disaster fixing that match for Stradbally, no way will it take the crowds that will attend this one. Hope sense prevails and its moved to O'Moore Park before it's too late.

Here is a report on the game from Leinster Express..
http://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/sport/230617/o-byrne-cup-laois-make-it-two-wins-from-two-as-they-see-off-wicklow.html

Don Draper

Lunacy to put Laois v Meath in Stradbally. Its grand f**king a college team into Crety or Park, but Meath into Stradbally is mental.

Helix

Quote from: Don Draper on January 12, 2017, 02:50:09 PM
Lunacy to put Laois v Meath in Stradbally. Its grand f**king a college team into Crety or Park, but Meath into Stradbally is mental.

I wouldn't be surprised if venue changed to OMP at last minute. Meath generally bring a decent crowd. Winner takes all battle might draw more than normal and of course the CB love to make as much money possible. Time will tell
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Don Draper

Quote from: Helix on January 12, 2017, 03:05:31 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on January 12, 2017, 02:50:09 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if venue changed to OMP at last minute. Meath generally bring a decent crowd. Winner takes all battle might draw more than normal and of course the CB love to make as much money possible. Time will tell
Amusingly if it were a club cship game, it'd never have been fixed for there in the first place

steven seagal

As far as I know, Stradbally are using Saturday's game as a chance to officially unveil their floodlights, so I can't see them changing it, considering who controls these things in our county board.

The only way it'll be changed, I would think, is if the weather forces it, because things are supposed to turn nasty in the next few days. There's no shelter anywhere in Stradbally, so if it horses rain or snow it'd be a scandal to leave it there