China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

QuoteSomething I've long thought is happening.

Either this is the case or the mask wearing and handwashing is stopping the spread to the 5 or more close contacts for each infected person as the 5 contacts certainly aren't getting infected based on the "daily" stats

I only taper in and out of this thing these days as it's not good for the soul, but a few weeks back it was said that one young buck had up to 50 "close contacts" (majority I assume would be their young bucks / young wans) - it would be useful if we got the stats as to how many of his close contacts were infected. The demography etc of this citizen should be issued and his / her living conditions.

That would be the real "R" number there, especially among the healthy and low risk citizens. This is what the "professors" ought to be studying and risk assessing instead we have a "professor" from UCC given air time saying we should've stayed shut down longer back in June to "clear" the virus. He is lucky to have a handy number in UCC.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

armaghniac

Quote from: highorlow on September 07, 2020, 12:03:21 PM
QuoteSomething I've long thought is happening.

Either this is the case or the mask wearing and handwashing is stopping the spread to the 5 or more close contacts for each infected person as the 5 contacts certainly aren't getting infected based on the "daily" stats

Masks etc do reduce transmission and it seems likely that they reduce the viral load, so even if you get a touch of the virus the immune system is able to mop it up.

That would be the real "R" number there, especially among the healthy and low risk citizens. This is what the "professors" ought to be studying and risk assessing instead we have a "professor" from UCC given air time saying we should've stayed shut down longer back in June to "clear" the virus. He is lucky to have a handy number in UCC.

Nevertheless the numbers continue to increase each week and you had hospital staff etc getting cases in recent weeks. That trend can only lead to problems eventually.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Cunny Funt

The last 7 days compared to the previous week in the ROI had 114 extra cases from 12,027 extra tests conducted.

rodney trotter

307 cases in the Republic of today. 182 were from Dublin. They need to lock Dublin down.

Blowitupref

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 08, 2020, 05:50:56 PM
307 cases in the Republic of today. 182 were from Dublin. They need to lock Dublin down.

190 of those 307 cases are from previous days. Dublin are getting closer to having restrictions applied.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

armaghniac

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 08, 2020, 05:50:56 PM

It gives them a good case for not opening pubs in Dublin, but allowing those elsewhere open.
They have largely kept it out of the hospitals though, unlike NI.

Farrandeelin

84 today, 51 in Dublin. The pubs will have to be held off opening in Dublin at least.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Would the majority of pubs in Dublin be foodie pubs?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GetOverTheBar

This is a genuine question lads, what is the fascination with keeping bars closed?

It makes no difference to me, I don't drink personally. Everything seems to be keeping the bars closed. There is going to come a time when these people all get together and take a class action v The Govt for restriction of trade though surely? Is it fair these people are being ruined for something that, is in no way their fault? People are bending the restictions every which way now, its naive to suggest otherwise. Should they just be opened - give people more choice and as a result, spread out the concentration of those that are taking the piss at the moment?

highorlow

I agree they should close McDonald's and all the other fast food shit holes.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

armaghniac

Quote from: highorlow on September 09, 2020, 10:57:23 PM
I agree they should close McDonald's and all the other fast food shit holes.

You may think this, but there is no evidence of a significant role for McDonalds in spreading Covid19.

Meanwhile Professor drops dead while giving Zoom lecture
https://www.thesun.ie/news/5868631/teacher-collapses-dies-coronavirus-zoom-lesson/

Eamonnca1

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 09, 2020, 08:59:01 PM
This is a genuine question lads, what is the fascination with keeping bars closed?

It makes no difference to me, I don't drink personally. Everything seems to be keeping the bars closed. There is going to come a time when these people all get together and take a class action v The Govt for restriction of trade though surely? Is it fair these people are being ruined for something that, is in no way their fault? People are bending the restictions every which way now, its naive to suggest otherwise. Should they just be opened - give people more choice and as a result, spread out the concentration of those that are taking the piss at the moment?

The vintners are welcome to sue the virus but I'm damned if I know how it's going to pay out any compensation in any settlement.

Hound

The new regulations from Monday week seem to make a lot more sense, and it will be the end of 'wet pubs' being differentiated.

If you have 1m between tables then max stay is 1.45 and advance booking is required
If you have 2m between tables, then no advance booking and you can stay as long as you like (but name and number of one person per table has to be recorded).
Table service only, no sitting at bar and if you leave your table you must wear a mask.

If they do they decide to do a Dublin lockdown, I wonder will they split the county for these purposes (which i'd be all in favour of  ;D. )?  Prime Time this week suggested this was a possibility and that Dublin West has the highest numbers. Although "Dublin West" is probably not defined anywhere as it's not one of the county council splits!

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Localised Covid restrictions being introduced in Belfast and Ballymena to "push down on this rising curve of infection"