What's with the 'AP' in AP McCoy?

Started by deiseach, April 12, 2010, 01:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Obviously they are his initials, but why not plain old Tony? There must be a story

Incidentally, well done to him on his continued success. A man his height shouldn't be a jockey, let alone the best ever

A Quinn Martin Production

That's just what he's known as in racing circles.  I heard his wife refer to him as "Anthony" in an interview after the race and his mother refers to him as Anthony in a press interview.  I think his name is Anthony Peter??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

muppet

I heard the nuns used to call Deiseach 'hey you in the bushes!'  ;)
MWWSI 2017

WeeDonns

QuoteObviously they are his initials, but why not plain old Tony? There must be a story

Incidentally, well done to him on his continued success. A man his height shouldn't be a jockey, let alone the best ever

Explain ??? as surely evidence suggests that a man his height should be a very good jockey?

deiseach

Quote from: WeeDonns on April 12, 2010, 02:11:44 PM
Explain ??? as surely evidence suggests that a man his height should be a very good jockey?

Because the taller a man is, the heavier he is.

nifan

nrico2006

Aye, he was always known as Tony McCoy until the past few years, when its always now reported as AP McCoy.  Is McCoys height and weight not unusual for a jockey WeeDonns?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hardy

The initials thing, I think, is just an extension of the official name on the racecard. Most jockeys are listed by their initial(s) and surname and fans/pundits/journalists often just adopt this as a type of (usually affectionate) nickname.

I'm not sure what AP's basic weight is, but NH horses very rarely carry less than 9 stone and generally at least 10 stone, so you don't have to be less than 10-0 to be a successful jump jockey. By contrast, horses on the flat can be weighted as little as 7-5, so the flat jockeys are the really tiny lads.

SambaSaffron

Quote from: Hardy on April 12, 2010, 03:12:43 PM
The initials thing, I think, is just an extension of the official name on the racecard. Most jockeys are listed by their initial(s) and surname and fans/pundits/journalists often just adopt this as a type of (usually affectionate) nickname.

I'm not sure what AP's basic weight is, but NH horses very rarely carry less than 9 stone and generally at least 10 stone, so you don't have to be less than 10-0 to be a successful jump jockey. By contrast, horses on the flat can be weighted as little as 7-5, so the flat jockeys are the really tiny lads.
Aye, the first bit is right. And pretty sure its Anthony Peter, but he's just Anthony to his family.

sammymaguire

Tony McCoy MBE (will he be Sir Anthony or Sir AP one day?)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Denn Forever

The smaller jockeys are more prevalent in flat racing. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hardy

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 12, 2010, 04:56:43 PM
The smaller jockeys are more prevalent in flat racing. 

That's a model concise answer. You said in 9 words what it took me over 50 to attempt.

down6061689194

Anthony Peter.

Presumably AP as there maybe another A McCoy?

Tony for obvious reasons. AP on the passport.

Donnellys Hollow

MV O'Brien
AP O'Brien
JS Bolger
DK Weld
MJ Kinane
WP Mullins

It's just one of those old racing traditions that the initials go in the racecard.

As regards him being too tall to be a jockey, you're better off on a NH horse in particular having a taller heavier jockey because he doesn't have to carry as much lead in the saddle which is just dead weight on the horses back. It's no wonder the flat lads have such a poor record in bumpers. Some of them would have upwards of three stone worth of lead in the saddle.

McCoy and Ruby are around the 5'10 mark I think. Andy McNamara who won the Irish National is 6'1.

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?