2008 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL.....MANCHESTER UNITED v CHELSEA

Started by Shrewdness, May 13, 2008, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Shrewdness on May 23, 2008, 09:29:02 PM
I think Nani deserves great credit for scoring his penalty the other night under immense pressure. He was the last of United's 5 penalty takers, and if he missed, Chelsea would have won it without Terry having to even take his kick.

Was surprised that Essien didn't take one before Terry. Essien has a great shot on him, and if he had gone for the power approach to a penalty, i wouldn't fancy facing it.

If Anelka had scored, the  remaining penalty takers for each team would have been Ferdinand, Evra and Vidic for United, and only Essien and Carvalho for Chelsea as Drogba had been sent off.

Academic I know, but I don't think that's correct. In the case of a man being sent off, one of the opposition has to 'volunteer' to *not* be on the roster. Both teams have to have the same number of eligible personnel. I'm sure United would have 'de-selected' Van der Saar, and Cech would have been Chelsea's 10th.

AZOffaly

Actually I'm wrong, looks like Van der Saar would not have been allowed off the hook. One of the other 3 lads would have had to step down.

"No player is allowed to take a second kick from the penalty mark until all other players on his team (who have not received a red card) have taken a kick from the penalty mark (including the goalkeepers). However, if at the beginning of kicks from the penalty mark one side has more players on the pitch than the other, then the side with more players shall select an appropriate number of players who will not take part. For example, if Team A has 11 players but Team B only has 10, then Team A will choose one player who will not take part. Note that it is not allowed to deselect a goalkeeper from having to take part in kicking from the penalty mark. Players deselected cannot play any part in the procedure."

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Shrewdness on May 23, 2008, 09:29:02 PM
I think Nani deserves great credit for scoring his penalty the other night under immense pressure. He was the last of United's 5 penalty takers, and if he missed, Chelsea would have won it without Terry having to even take his kick.

Was surprised that Essien didn't take one before Terry. Essien has a great shot on him, and if he had gone for the power approach to a penalty, i wouldn't fancy facing it.

If Anelka had scored, the  remaining penalty takers for each team would have been Ferdinand, Evra and Vidic for United, and only Essien and Carvalho for Chelsea as Drogba had been sent off.

Essien had sai beforehand that he would not take a peno. The last time in a shoot out he missed for Lyon, and his ma had a heart attack!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

David McKeown

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 22, 2008, 11:52:37 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 22, 2008, 12:10:06 PM
Congrats United fans. Probably best team over the course of the season although probably second best last night. I think that should end any whingeing about "lucky Liverpool" anyway. Two European Cups won under Ferguson in games where United were outplayed for long periods and the opposition hitting the woodwork twice in both finals. And that's even before Terry slipped on his hole.

Hard luck Norf Tyrone. Must be sick as a parrott today.

Totally gutted. There are very few times in my life that football has made me feel as depressed as I am today...

Well done United..

Was in the pub from 6:30, and depsite it being fairly packed it was eerilly silent due to the tension. First half and all my concerns from a few pages back re Essien came home to roost. Ronaldo wasn't at his best, but he didn't to be to exploit the Ghanian. This battle put Chelsea on the back foot early on, and truth be told only a wee bit of luck and the goal changed that around.

Second half and I thought Chelsea were awesome. Time and time again these players meet a challange head on, and a special word of praise here for the much maligned Ashley Cole who had his best game in a Blue jersey last night. I think one of the key factors last night came on 70 minutes. Ferdinand went down with cramp, and the 2 or 3 minute delay give United time to regroup. Was it a ploy by Ferdinand? Who knows but surprised at him cramping so early.

Thought Chelsea shaded the extra time, but it had penalties written all over it by the end of the first period.

When JT stepped up I was convinced he'd score. But it was not to be, and but for a few millimeters of wood, and a dodgy piece of turf we'd be champions of Europe today. After that I knew it was gone....and Anelka looked so not up for it!

The United fans out and about the pub last night were gracious in victory. Enjoyed their night, but didn't rub it in..credit to them. Don't get the same warm glow on here unfortuantely.

It took North Longford on page 20 to bring up a couple of major incidents. The linesman who gave the 'ghost goal' at Anfield gave United a couple of 'ghost' goal kicks that he was only yards from, Ferdinand last man when fouling Lampard, and the big one being (End of normal time I think) Ferdinand's head high challange on Joe Cole...how the f**k do you give advantage at that, and then after doing so not bring Ferdinand back for a yellow!

There is also some serious character assasination going on here. John Terry is a legend. The fella wears his heart on his sleeve, and captains Chelsea with passion. His Englishness appears to be a problem for some on here from what I can see. In addition this spiting incident that an Arsenal fan has seen fit to start a new thread about (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvlsEbcZq98) is inconclusive, and no-one has made a complaint about including Tevez! Remember this is the same Tevez that took no time to accuse Chelsea ground staff of racism a few weeks back! I see nothing in that footage bar maybe JT calling Tevez a wee c**t or whatever.

Chelsea's crowding of the refs that people talk about is, as I have said before, something the club needs to address. I don't think it was as bad as usual last night, but I could be wrong. But geez lads take off the rose tinters. I remember on at least two occasions, United players running to the ref last night, and Fergie at half time! Is there a differance? Look back to the game in OT earlier in the year, and when Mikel fouled whoever it was to get a red card how quickly the United players are around the ref...

Anyway...congratulations gents.

Not sure I agree as far as the dodgy piece of turf goes, as it was the same part of the pitch where Van Der Sar slipped in the first half before Lampard scores, if Van Der Sar didnt slip Chelsea may not even have been in the game.  Same token they may have won it.

Cant seem to find the incident you refer to at OT but from memory was it not Terry who tried to take the red card out of the refs hand as the ref tried to justifiably send Mikel off

Of course I know very little about football Im a Gillingham fan.  Says it all really
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Norf Tyrone

Not sure if the Terry card thing was the same game, but the first instance was the United players to the ref.

I a thran fecker so I'll hunt the clip out.

Shrewdness

Can someone clariry this matter for me.

When the Chelsea players went up to collect their runners up medals, Drogba did not go up with them, and stayed down on the pitch.

Was that because he had been sent off, and wasn't allowed up, or was he just acting the p***k ???

Shrewdness

I noticed that when Bobby Charlton collected the plaque from Platini, he declined to let Platini place the medal around his neck, and took it in his hand instead.

He probably didn't feel that it was fitting to wear it as he's not a player. But that didn't stop Peter Kenyon wearing his though.

Surely Chelsea could have found a more fitting ambassador to accept the plaque than Kenyon.

stew

Quote from: Shrewdness on May 24, 2008, 10:08:37 AM
Can someone clariry this matter for me.

When the Chelsea players went up to collect their runners up medals, Drogba did not go up with them, and stayed down on the pitch.

Was that because he had been sent off, and wasn't allowed up, or was he just acting the p***k ???

It has long been a tradition and a rule that if sent off when the tin is being handed out the offending player cannot accept his medal and instead someone has to collect it for him.

Grant probably threw his own medal away, no way he threw Drogba's away on him.

Drogba is a disgrace to the game.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Uladh

magpie seanie

QuoteSurely Chelsea could have found a more fitting ambassador to accept the plaque than Kenyon

I thought that was disgraceful.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Shrewdness on May 24, 2008, 03:03:31 PM
I noticed that when Bobby Charlton collected the plaque from Platini, he declined to let Platini place the medal around his neck, and took it in his hand instead.

He probably didn't feel that it was fitting to wear it as he's not a player. But that didn't stop Peter Kenyon wearing his though.

Surely Chelsea could have found a more fitting ambassador to accept the plaque than Kenyon.

I didn't know why Kenyon was going up the steps, but if he was the choosen ambassador that was a stupid move. There were plenty more worthy choices, Steve Clarke for one.

Shrewdness

Quote from: MAGPIE on May 24, 2008, 10:22:11 AM
i see that avram grant threw a medal into the crowd. Possibly Drogbas medal ! Or maybe just doing the Jose Mourinho

Saw this footage again last night. After Platini placed the medal around Grant's neck, he handed him another medal and had a word in his ear, presumably saying that this is Drogba's medal.

Afterwards, Grant is clearly shown on 2 occasions throwing a medal into the crowd.

The question is.....did Drogba decline to accept the medal from Grant, hence 2 medals thrown into the crowd, or was Grant so pissed off with Drogba, he thought '' f**k him'' :o

Norf Tyrone

For those that asked for it, or said they never seen it happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JreilozpNE

Tight call to see if it was inside or outside the box, but no doubt a 2nd yellow for Rio! I still can't believe the fecker gave an advantage!!

lurganblue

i never saw that incident during the game (must have been at the toilet or something) but that was a definate foul. What was the craic with the linesman lifting his flag then putting it down again?

David McKeown

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 26, 2008, 05:28:05 AM
For those that asked for it, or said they never seen it happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JreilozpNE

Tight call to see if it was inside or outside the box, but no doubt a 2nd yellow for Rio! I still can't believe the fecker gave an advantage!!

This goes back to what I said on another thread about diving.  Cole was clearly fouled but because he stayed on his feet he didnt get the foul and the second booking for ferdinand, until referees start gving frees and subsequent cards when players dont go down then diving is going to persist.  Definite free kick that one
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner