Cheltenham 2008

Started by boshiba, January 17, 2008, 05:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Linden

Glencove Marina is the most exciting prospect i have seen this year. Would strongly fancy him for the Arkle if he is still going to it. For me Sublimity and Kauto are still the horses to beat and would reckon them to be the festival bankers

Guillem2

What are the dates for the Festival this year? Is it 11th March to 14th?
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Hardy

I see Kicking King's return has been stymied by the abandonment of Fairyhouse. I don't know if he's entered in anything else pre-Cheltenham, but it will be hard for him to mount a serious challenge without a few races under his belt. I know Kauto and Denman look to be out on their own, but you'd never be sure until horses meet head to head and I was as impressed by Kicking King's gold cup as any in recent years. It would have been great to see a reminder of Arkle v. Mill House, Ireland v. England.

Guillem - those are the dates. Unusual to have a Cheltenham without St. Patrick's Day.

bcarrier

Fairyhouse rescheduled for Wednesday so subject to weather KK back then. Much as I would love to see him back at his best ...they dont come back . Would be Taaffes greatest ever achievement to get horse back and competitive.

Agree with Mickey about Glencove ( but will wait to see which race first) and sublimity (will back nearer the day - cant see him winning AIG on heavy ground so expect a drift).

Mickey Linden

Any thoughts on the chapion bumper? Time electric looked impressive at the christmas festival at lepordstown. Interesting to see Paul Nicolls talking about one of his horses for it. He is having a great season and I wouldnt rule out. Would be surprising to see an English trained winner tho

Homer

I'm not a huge fan of Ante Post betting but my early analysis would be...

I'll probably be backing Cork All Star if he runs in the Supreme or Ballymore Novices Hurdle

I fancy Sizing Europe (10/1) in the Champion Hurdle but despite his poor run last time out Sublimity (4/1) will be right come March and will take some over-turning. When Harchibald (8/1) beat Al Eile it looked like he was a new horse that responded under pressure, but his run against Straw Bear was very poor. A mate close to the stable told me to back Al Eile (25/1) when he last ran in Leopardstown, I decided to leave it and was left to rue the chance when he hacked up, so I'll probably have him EW.

Nickname (20/1) ran well on it's debut this season given the ground was against him. It looks like he will head for the Queen Mother and has very good EW chance. Twist Magic (7/4) goes in as favorite and rightfully so, but I've been impressed with Mansony (14/1) this year and will have an EW on him. I expect this price to shorthen once he has put Twist magic in his place tomorrow.

Mossbank (6/1) is a solid contender for the Ryanair, and has been improving with every run this season. I'm almost positive he will take on this race rather than get involved in Gold Cup yet finished the stronger of Denman and The Listener last time out.

An old favourite Hardy Eustace (12/1) is going for the World Hurdle, he owes me nothing so I'll have another EW on him.

I'm a big fan of Franchoek (11/2) and at the moment I can't see past him in the Triumph.

It's between Glencove Marina (10/1) and Thyne Again (20/1) in the Sun Alliance for me but both may yet opt to run in the Arkle in whisch case the same would apply.

Looks like we could be in for a cracking Gold Cup this year, Kauto Star (5/4), Denman (9/4), Exotic Dancer (11/1), Kicking King (33/1). I'm a big fan of Denman but I don't hold much hope of him over turning his stable mate. Exotic Dancer is way over priced and despite the fact that he is sick of the sight of Kauto's arse he is still a good EW shout. I won't be backing Kicking King but I would absolutley delighted to see him up among the reckoning. He has 2 entries this weekend Naas tomorrow and Fairyhouse on Sunday.

Backing Chocolate Thorton when I rides for King at Cheltenham served me very well last year so I'll probably be keeping it up.

So as regards AP, I'm backing the following now with a view to trade some of it off closer to the date for a few free bets.

Sizing Europe @ 10/1 EW
Al Eile @ 25/1 EW
Mansony @ 14/1 EW
Mossbank @ 6/1 EW
Francheok @ 11/2 EW
Kauto Star @ 5/4
Exotic Dancer @ 11/1 EW

So there you go lads empty the bank accounts and start laying every single horse you see in bold there  :)

Hardy

I must have misheard that report bcarrier - Fairyhouse only postponed, not abandoned. I suppose I am being unrealistic to expect KK to come back. Though I read an article/interview with Taaffe over Christmas and he seemed very bullish. We can always hope.

Naas is off as well.

Hardy

A lot of people seem to be backing Exotic Dancer for the place. He's only 2.82 for the place on Betfair - less than one-sixth the win odds of 12.5.

boshiba

Have to agree with Homers assessment of Mansony, think i'll be taking that 14/1 before tomorrow evening. Glencove Marina looks great value too...at the minute. Anyone heading over to the festival?

Louth Exile

Quote from: bcarrier on January 18, 2008, 11:17:50 AM
Fairyhouse rescheduled for Wednesday so subject to weather KK back then. Much as I would love to see him back at his best ...they dont come back . Would be Taaffes greatest ever achievement to get horse back and competitive.

Would also love to see Taaffe work the oracle, but can't see it either (Looks Like Trouble was one that comes to mind)

http://www.irish-racing.com/v3horseinfo?prv=4&prt=202257&prw=D
He holds declarations for both Fairyhouse on Wednesday and Cheltenham on Firday. Just heard that Fairyhouse won't go ahead on Wednesday but that they are moving KK's race to Gowran on Thursday and that if it goes ahead that Taaffe will run him
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Our Nail Loney

Right I am bored shitless in work here so I am gonna throw in my opinions on the Godl Cup and the Ryanair, since there's a lot of hmmming and haing about who's gonna go where.

I am nibbling away at Kauto (5-4 generally) week by week, can't see past him for the Gold Cup. Exotic Dancer looked poor in the King George though to be fair they were trying new tactics with him that obviously didn't work. Denman is an obvious danger but laboured along in a poor enough Lexus at Leopardstown over xmas, nowhere near the master class Kauto put on at kempton. Had high hopes for The Listener at one stage but not impressed after his Lexus run, plus he won't get the ground he would need to get amongst the big boys at Cheltenham.

Would love to see Kicking King or Star de Mohaison get back to their best but unfortunately don't think either can get back to full fitness in time for March and wouldn't able to challenge Kauto effectively. Would love to see a Gold Cup with Kauto, Denman, Kicking King, Star de Mohaison and War of Attrition all up for it. Maybe next year!

The Listener will probably go for the Ryanair Chase though as will a lot of the each way fancies for the Gold Cup, it seems they are all running scared of Nicholls and fancy a crack at a more competitive race, especially after the Ryanair has been boosted to Grade 1 status. This will be some race, Our Vic (5-1) will take some beating if his King George run is anything to go by finishing behind Kauto and beating Exotic Dancer. Plus Pipe is in some form lately, just look at recent Saturdays results. But I am going for Mossbank (5/1 also), Michael Hourigan's horse. Hopefully it'll travel better than Beef or Salmon ever did! Was really really impressed with it in the Lexus finishing behind Denman and think it is definitely gonna improve. Beat another horse I have been impressed with this season Knight Legend at Clonmel in Nov.

So far in those races I have a tidy amount on auto, have some each way on The Listener for the GC (was before the Lexus in case anyone asks, dunno what I was thinking) and am gonna start sticking some on Mossbank.

Then I'll just see about each way fancies once the trainers start to clear up their targets...

Right better do some work....

jaykay

Quote from: Mickey Linden on January 18, 2008, 11:21:41 AM
Any thoughts on the chapion bumper? Time electric looked impressive at the christmas festival at lepordstown. Interesting to see Paul Nicolls talking about one of his horses for it. He is having a great season and I wouldnt rule out. Would be surprising to see an English trained winner tho

I like the look of Corskeagh Royale, 16/1 with Paddy Power at the moment.  He destroyed the fields in his last 2 bumpers, 1 on soft and the other on good ground so no worries there.  Capel Lad, who has gone on to win a weak enough Maiden Hurdle was 4th some 20 odd lengths behind in Punchestown.

T O Hare

lads my father was given two tips at the weeknd from a good source. amn told him to do hits only jude at southwell today.. it won at 4/1
his other tip was binocolur in the truimph hurdle.. the man has backed it from 50's right down.. its 8/1 with paddy power at the minute...
by the way we forgot to f******** do the horse today!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Onlooker

It is easy to tip the winner of the 1 o'clock race at 3.40!!!.

Mickey Linden

Quote from: T O Hare on January 22, 2008, 03:40:54 PM
lads my father was given two tips at the weeknd from a good source. amn told him to do hits only jude at southwell today.. it won at 4/1
his other tip was binocolur in the truimph hurdle.. the man has backed it from 50's right down.. its 8/1 with paddy power at the minute...
by the way we forgot to f******** do the horse today!!!!

who trains Binocular Tommy? Are u backing it ante-post? Another yankee would be nice again this year!