The Old Derry / Londonderry name problem

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, August 20, 2007, 11:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: LCohen on July 25, 2015, 10:41:09 AM
If the peope of the city want it called Derry then it should be officially called Derry
If the people of the county want it called Derry then it should be officially be called Derry.

The rules don't make it straight forward but there is nothing to stop the legislators enacting the required legislation.

In the mean time most people get on with saying Derry and not getting too fussed when officialdom uses Londonderry as it is the current offical name.

It would be good to get it sorted but there are many more important things to worry about and only a fool would get distracted from those by this

When the name change becomes official you will see a few bitter bastard civil servants refusing to acknowledge the name change!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

east down gael

Couldn't really care what others choose to call it, but  drives me up the wall when somebody corrects me by telling me 'it's Londonderry by the way'.

93-DY-SAM

All logic on this for me goes out the window. Personally I absolutely despise the L word. I needn't say I don't give a shit about anyone using it because I do. It annoys the feck out of me.

under the bar

QuoteCouldn't really care what others choose to call it, but  drives me up the wall when somebody corrects me by telling me 'it's Londonderry by the way'.

I've worked with people from every Loyalist area of Belfast and roundabout for years and never has anyone attempted to correct me for saying Derry. 

screenexile

"Ah no excuse me there screenexile I think you'll find it's called Londonderry!"

"Oh no actually I think you'll find you should just go f**k yourself!"

That's how the conversation would go should someone ever correct me on it... I'd love to know the type of person who would actually do that!!

Windmill abu

Quote from: screenexile on July 26, 2015, 12:23:14 AM
"Ah no excuse me there screenexile I think you'll find it's called Londonderry!"

"Oh no actually I think you'll find you should just go f**k yourself!"

That's how the conversation would go should someone ever correct me on it... I'd love to know the type of person who would actually do that!!

Lets meet after the next Tyrone v L/Derry match in Omagh Screenexile.
Where we can share a few pints and sing "theres no London in Tyrone"
After all we are still northern gaels who support each others county when we get to croke park.

Am I right or what?
Never underestimate the power of complaining

gawa316

My mother like the majority of her/my family grew up and lived in the fountain. It always has been and always will be Derry to us.

Never beat the deeler

I was born in Londonderry
I was born in Derry City too
Oh what a special child
To see such things and still to smile
I knew that there was something wrong
But I kept my head down and carried on

I grew up in Enniskillen
I grew up in Innis Kathleen too
Oh what a clever boy
To watch your hometown be destroyed
I knew that I would not stay long
So I kept my head down and carried on

Who cares where national borders lie?
Who cares whose laws you're governed by?
Who cares what name you call a town?
Who'll care when you're six feet beneath the ground?

From the corner of my eye
A hint of blue in the black sky
A ray of hope, a beam of light
An end to thirty years of night
The church-bells ring, the children sing
"What is this strange and beautiful thing?"
It's the sunrise
Can you see the sunrise?
I can see the sunrise
It's the sunrising
Hasta la victoria siempre

Wildweasel74

To be honest i heard it more than Tyrone supporters than any protestant

Windmill abu

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 26, 2015, 08:07:05 PM

To be fair, when any protestant says it, we can't be sure if it is because they believe it or are they trying to cause offence.

When Tyrone supporters say it, is it to cause offence? or let you know that their is a UK based competition, which by name you can enter and probably win, rather than the all Ireland championship, which you struggle with at the early stages at best.

Alas we cannot enter the UK competition as "There's no London in Tyrone".
Never underestimate the power of complaining

theticklemister

Quote from: Hospital Road on July 27, 2015, 10:11:33 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 26, 2015, 08:07:05 PM
what about protestant tyrone supporters?

Are they from Strabane?

Hereiam

Lets see how many times Derry is said on the bbc now

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility