The Old Derry / Londonderry name problem

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, August 20, 2007, 11:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

I always thought it went Londonderry, The Northwest, The Maiden City and then Derry... if it ever got that far.
Testing Accessibility

gallsman

Angie comes into my place of summer work quite a bit. Shouldn't post the phrases I use to describe thw way she comes across, might get me in trouble...

maggie

General translink rant
261 calling at ballygawley, aug-her, clog-her(always said as though there is a hyphen), fivemiletown, maguiresbridge.................................
and then i lost interest.

Hereiam

I think a petition needs to go to the BBC  ;D On a slightly differant note I can't even watch the BBCNI news now as I feel that it doesn't relate to me, does anyone else find this.

ziggysego

Quote from: Hereiam on December 08, 2008, 04:47:55 PM
I think a petition needs to go to the BBC  ;D On a slightly differant note I can't even watch the BBCNI news now as I feel that it doesn't relate to me, does anyone else find this.

I'd sooner watch UTV.
Testing Accessibility

leenie

when traveling and living down south whenever i told someone i met from the north where i was from they always mimicked  the bus route that is announced in the bus station..........((while trying to do a belfast accent) i'd just grin and bare it..... but its wild annoying!

I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Newbridge Exile

Just after getting barred from editing wikipedia as a result of  committing the heinous crime of  changing County Londonderry to County Derry on of all pages the Derry Gaa page

Main Street

Would be about an ongoing battle with a pr'ck called Trad Unionist who has an obsession with Derry GAA?

Looks like it's back to Derry (again) :)

Donagh

Anger over Lisneal name change letter

Published Date: 18 September 2009
Some parents of Catholic children at Lisneal College in Derry's Waterside say they are "furious" that their kids were asked to sign a letter opposing moves to change the official name of the city from Londonderry to Derry.
Parents of children at the school - which has both Catholics and Protestants - received a letter from school principal David Funston in which he explained that he had been asked to distribute a letter which could be signed by pupils and sent to Derry

Copies of both letters have been passed anonymously to the 'Journal'.
Mr Funston last night defended the move and insisted that he had received "no negative feedback" from parents or pupils about the letter.
However, a parent of a Catholic pupil at Lisneal College said the letter had left Catholic pupils feeling "isolated."

"It's absolutely outrageous that children should be dragged into this debate. You would have thought that schools would adopt a neutral stance on such issues. And, yet, here was my child being very publicly asked to sign up to an issue that is overtly political and, dare I say it, sectarian. I'm furious that my child should have been put in such an unenviable position. They were left to feel very, very isolated.

"Schoolchildren and politics - particularly such a sensitive subject as the name change - simply do not mix. I'm shocked that the school was allowed to do this. Did they get the go-ahead from the Board of Governors? As a result of this, my child is very self-conscious when at school."

Mr Funston rejected claims that distributing the letter among students in the mixed school could create problems for the schools Catholic pupils. He also claimed it is not a sectarian issue, despite the letter containing a reference to "Protestant identity."

"I don't see this as a Catholic/Protestant issue. I attached a covering letter and my covering letter explained that it was entirely voluntary. It is not a school letter. The Board of Governors were aware of it," he said.

Despite this, Mr Funston's covering letter said signed copies of the letter were to be returned to the school office.
He also said he had been asked to distribute the letter by a member of the public.

"A number of bodies would ask us to make parents aware of various things and those bodies would include political parties and come from right across the political divide," he said.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Heard about this on talkback earlier absolute disgrace they interviewed a DUP councillor about it she made a complete cnut of herself.
The letter went out to kids from 10-11 years old and up!!

Will post a link when the podcast goes up later.
Tbc....

redhugh

Quote from: Donagh on September 18, 2009, 01:15:37 PM
Anger over Lisneal name change letter

Published Date: 18 September 2009
Some parents of Catholic children at Lisneal College in Derry's Waterside say they are "furious" that their kids were asked to sign a letter opposing moves to change the official name of the city from Londonderry to Derry.
Parents of children at the school - which has both Catholics and Protestants - received a letter from school principal David Funston in which he explained that he had been asked to distribute a letter which could be signed by pupils and sent to Derry

Copies of both letters have been passed anonymously to the 'Journal'.
Mr Funston last night defended the move and insisted that he had received "no negative feedback" from parents or pupils about the letter.
However, a parent of a Catholic pupil at Lisneal College said the letter had left Catholic pupils feeling "isolated."

"It's absolutely outrageous that children should be dragged into this debate. You would have thought that schools would adopt a neutral stance on such issues. And, yet, here was my child being very publicly asked to sign up to an issue that is overtly political and, dare I say it, sectarian. I'm furious that my child should have been put in such an unenviable position. They were left to feel very, very isolated.

"Schoolchildren and politics - particularly such a sensitive subject as the name change - simply do not mix. I'm shocked that the school was allowed to do this. Did they get the go-ahead from the Board of Governors? As a result of this, my child is very self-conscious when at school."

Mr Funston rejected claims that distributing the letter among students in the mixed school could create problems for the schools Catholic pupils. He also claimed it is not a sectarian issue, despite the letter containing a reference to "Protestant identity."

"I don't see this as a Catholic/Protestant issue. I attached a covering letter and my covering letter explained that it was entirely voluntary. It is not a school letter. The Board of Governors were aware of it," he said.

Despite this, Mr Funston's covering letter said signed copies of the letter were to be returned to the school office.
He also said he had been asked to distribute the letter by a member of the public.

"A number of bodies would ask us to make parents aware of various things and those bodies would include political parties and come from right across the political divide," he said.

My sister's young lad (14) goes to an integrated school and was challenged by his teacher when he said something about Derry.Teacher stopped him and said something along the lines of it's not Derry it's londonDerry! The lad told the teacher that his granny was from Derry and that in their house it was always  referred to thus.The teacher went ape and asked him to wait outside the room for the remainder of the lesson.He duly marched down to the head's office and explained the situation and his stance. The head took him back up to the classroom and made the teacher apologise to him in front of his classmates. He was well chuffed and now spends his time bringing up anything to do with Derry, just to wind up the teacher, probably not a great idea on his part but hey- he's 14.

Maiden1

We had a quiz in Geography class every so often when I was at school, the winning team got no homework the next day or something.  The teacher asked in which county is Coleraine (can't remember the actual question) and a guy put his hand up and answered Londonderry.  His team got docked 5 points.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Rois

Quote from: Maiden1 on September 18, 2009, 01:49:40 PM
We had a quiz in Geography class every so often when I was at school, the winning team got no homework the next day or something.  The teacher asked in which county is Coleraine (can't remember the actual question) and a guy put his hand up and answered Londonderry.  His team got docked 5 points.

But wasn't his answer correct?  I think that there was never a County Derry in terms of the modern county structure - since it came into place it has been called Londonderry.  I may be completely wrong on that.

On the schools thing - that's a disgrace, and the headmaster and board of governors should be rightly embarrassed.

nifan

The headmaster is an idiot.
Why did he ever thing it is acceptable for a school be distributing something like this?

The people for and against this issue in derry have enough ways and means to distribute information without resorting to this.

Maiden1

Quote from: Rois on September 18, 2009, 01:54:00 PM
Quote from: Maiden1 on September 18, 2009, 01:49:40 PM

But wasn't his answer correct?  I think that there was never a County Derry in terms of the modern county structure - since it came into place it has been called Londonderry.  I may be completely wrong on that.

On the schools thing - that's a disgrace, and the headmaster and board of governors should be rightly embarrassed.

Interestingingly enough (I think), I was looking through the 1911 census and there was no mention of Londonderry on it and this is people filling in there own forms in predominantly protestestant areas of Derry.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Coleraine/Church_Walls/

If you click on the census forms for any of the names (I just chose a street at random) they all put county as Derry.  It seems to be a more modern thing that it has started to be refereed to as Londonderry by some people.
There are no proofs, only opinions.