The Old Derry / Londonderry name problem

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, August 20, 2007, 11:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on August 20, 2007, 05:25:43 PM
Quote from: ExiledGael on August 20, 2007, 05:22:20 PM
What really annoys me is that you cannot get a return ticket from anywhere in Fermanagh to Belfast, you have to pay the huge single fare twice, whereas to any other destination in the North return tickets are no problem, bunch of cnuts, is that still the case?
I suppose they think no one wooud want to come back?

:D :D

Square Ball

Quote from: ExiledGael on August 20, 2007, 05:27:05 PM
Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on August 20, 2007, 05:25:43 PM
Quote from: ExiledGael on August 20, 2007, 05:22:20 PM
What really annoys me is that you cannot get a return ticket from anywhere in Fermanagh to Belfast, you have to pay the huge single fare twice, whereas to any other destination in the North return tickets are no problem, bunch of cnuts, is that still the case?
I suppose they think no one wooud want to come back?

:D :D

couldnt beat him with a big stick, legend
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

qub la la la

this shoulda been the translink thread.

p.s. theres no f**king london in armagh

nifan

I have never been corrected once at the europa asking for a ticket for derry

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I was writing a cheque for the monthly ticket in the railway station and started making it payable to Translink.....the grumpy oul bitch at the counter just growled at me "no such company".

Get your own back on them by joining their customer group - you go to four meetings a year to complain about how shite they are, get fed and a free trip for two, for two nights, to Dublin.

As for the Derry thing - the principle for staff should be if the customer says Derry, you confirm it as Derry, if they say Londondderry, errr, you just reply 'there ye go, now'.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Hurler on the Bitch

What brings me to the fair is the two security goons that have been brought in at Gt Victoria Street train station to "supervise" the gate. Save money Translink and employ some real staff! One day they will automate those gates and the grumpy gang can all go and work in McDonalds where they belong...

charlie stubbs

would love to know what disciplinary action was taken.You would think in the 21st century dickheads like this would be moving on.i for one would love to see him made an example off.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

The Stroke city plot thickens:

Translink has said it has identified the member of staff who told a tourist "Derry did not exist" when she asked about a bus to the city from Belfast.

Spokesman Billy Gilpin said the incident was currently being investigated by the company.

He said: "We are here to provide a service for the whole community. We don't have a particular stance on what we call, whether it be Londonderry or Derry.

"We interchange the two terms all the time in our publications and station announcements." (That is a lie, just look at their railway timetable and hear their announcements from thon woman at GVS bus station).

John Dallat of the SDLP said the Canadian tourist inquired about transport to the city and was told at the Europa Bus Centre in Belfast that "no buses run to that place".

Dallat said he had been "unhappy with Translink's response".

"I do accept that the problem is perhaps not as bad as it used to be when they used to have someone standing at Platform Two in Belfast screaming at all passengers to the North-West, 'This train goes to Londonderry'," he said.

Must be a wee while since that SDLP boy has had to get a bus or train to Derry.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Walking thru Great Vic St bus station and up on the big scoreboard was 212 - Maiden City Flyer to Doire/Derry.

God, Translink must be really hurt by the recent complaint!

Donagh

I take it we'll not have to listen to the feckers shouting "Londonderry platform x" in the bus station now. Not being paranoid but they never seem to shout the destination of any other buses when I'm there.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Especially thon woman who seems to relish saying the city's 'full' title.

She probably has never been north of Newtownabbey, however.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Donagh on August 24, 2007, 01:50:48 PM
I take it we'll not have to listen to the feckers shouting "Londonderry platform x" in the bus station now. Not being paranoid but they never seem to shout the destination of any other buses when I'm there.

Yes you are.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Hereiam

Is it just me or doe the BBCNI news always refer to Derry as "Londonderry" all the time now. It used to be that they would have included Derry to keep both sides happy but not anymore. Am I going mad or what

Donagh

Quote from: Hereiam on December 08, 2008, 03:47:51 PM
Is it just me or doe the BBCNI news always refer to Derry as "Londonderry" all the time now. It used to be that they would have included Derry to keep both sides happy but not anymore. Am I going mad or what

Have a mate who was a journalist with them before joining UTV. The policy in both is that Londonderry must be said the first time and then it's up to the person speaking.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Hereiam on December 08, 2008, 03:47:51 PM
Nope , definitely not just you ,just listen out to Angie Phillips doing the weather for further confirmation of your suspicions