Any Sign of White Smoke Yet?

Started by Oraisteach, March 13, 2013, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: orangeman on March 27, 2013, 11:42:46 AM
Thanks for that Declan - brilliant. Lovely story. Definitely a good guy and down to earth.

I wonder would be run for GAA president next time round ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21949118

Pope Francis shuns grand apartment for two rooms Pope Francis has opted for the simpler surroundings of the Domus Santa Marta hotel-style residence rather than the traditional palatial papal quarters

Pope Francis has decided to shun a grand papal apartment on the top floor of the Vatican's Apostolic Palace in favour of a modest two-room residence.

His spokesman said he was "trying out this type of simple living" in a communal building with other priests.

In doing so he has broken a tradition which is more than a century old.

The decision reinforces the newly-elected Pope's austere reputation. As archbishop of Buenos Aires he refused to move into the Bishop's Palace.

Since the reign of Pope Pius X at the beginning of the 20th Century every pope has occupied the palatial penthouse apartment with more than a dozen rooms, staff quarters, a terrace and extensive views over the city of Rome.

But since his election Pope Francis has been living in a simple two-room suite in the Domus Santa Marta - a hotel-style residence built by Pope John Paul II next to St Peter's Basilica.

And he intends to go on living there for the foreseeable future, according to the Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi.

"This morning he let his fellow cardinals know that he will keep living with them for a certain period of time," Mr Lombardi said.

What the hell has this to do with the GAA?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

armaghniac

QuoteWhat the hell has this to do with the GAA?

Nothing. That is probably why it is in the non GAA section, along with the Corny Jokes, Beer, Cycling and Time Travel.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on March 27, 2013, 06:08:09 PM
QuoteWhat the hell has this to do with the GAA?

Nothing. That is probably why it is in the non GAA section, along with the Corny Jokes, Beer, Cycling and Time Travel.
I assume mayo was referring to the comment of him running for presidency of the GAA.

stew

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 22, 2013, 03:55:56 PM
Quote from: stew on March 22, 2013, 03:44:58 PM
Iceman, you are wasting your time, cut these boys off, they thrive on this stuff, there are plenty of Athiests out there who have no problem with people of faith but they have no time for God, my da is one of them, the thing is however he, like many don't fixate on Religion like these cubs do.

They are not going to change my mind, nor me theirs, it is pointless to keep going and wasn't this thread supposed to the about a new Pope, not God himself?

If god does not exist, what is the point of a Pope. Unless he intends turning the Catholic church into a secular charity. They could help bail out many countries aroung the world by gifting property to help offset against debt. They could donate money to third world countries. He could offer a loan to Cyprus.

If God does exist, what's the point in atheism?

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

orangeman

Francis is at it again. I'd say there's a few of the top men very nervous around the Vatican at the minute. Francis is going to shake things up there.

Pope Francis will wash the feet of prisoners in a youth detention centre near Rome on Maundy Thursday.

Thousands of pilgrims and tourists are arriving in Rome to attend ceremonies during the holy week ahead of Easter.

The washing of feet on the Thursday before Easter is a Christian tradition commemorating Christ's Last Supper.

It is part of a papal calendar of events running up to Easter, the most important festival in the calendar of the Catholic Church.

On Easter Sunday morning, the new Pope will deliver his first "Urbi et Orbi" message to the city of Rome and to the world.

During his inaugural general audience Wednesday, Francis called for an immediate political solution to the conflict in the Central African Republic after last weekend's coup.

The new leader of the world's 1.2bn Roman Catholics has brought a new sense of simplicity to the Vatican, reports the BBC's David Willey in Rome.

He has decided to live in a small suite in a residence for clerics, eating with other priests in a common dining room, after deciding not to move into the palatial apartments occupied by his predecessors in the Apostolic Palace.

He has again broken with tradition for the foot-washing ceremony, which is normally performed on lay people in one of Rome's basilicas

Declan

QuoteFrancis is at it again. I'd say there's a few of the top men very nervous around the Vatican at the minute. Francis is going to shake things up there.

We all remember what happened the last time a Pope tried to "shake" things up ;) ;)

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: stew on March 27, 2013, 06:36:24 PM
Iceman, you are wasting your time, cut these boys off, they thrive on this stuff, there are plenty of Athiests out there who have no problem with people of faith but they have no time for God, my da is one of them, the thing is however he, like many don't fixate on Religion like these cubs do.

They are not going to change my mind, nor me theirs, it is pointless to keep going and wasn't this thread supposed to the about a new Pope, not God himself?

If god does not exist, what is the point of a Pope. Unless he intends turning the Catholic church into a secular charity. They could help bail out many countries aroung the world by gifting property to help offset against debt. They could donate money to third world countries. He could offer a loan to Cyprus.

God does not exist.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

stew

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 28, 2013, 02:33:21 PM

God does not exist.

Prove it with scientific fact?

Ya Kant! :)

orangeman

Quote from: Declan on March 28, 2013, 11:01:12 AM
QuoteFrancis is at it again. I'd say there's a few of the top men very nervous around the Vatican at the minute. Francis is going to shake things up there.

We all remember what happened the last time a Pope tried to "shake" things up ;) ;)

Short lived - literally.

Maguire01

Quote from: stew on March 28, 2013, 03:13:21 PM

God does not exist.

Of course you can't prove God doesn't exist. But the burden is on you to prove that he DOES exist. As a general rule, if there's no proof that something exists, I'll consider it not to exist.

Declan

A thought provoking, stark homily from Pope Francis on Holy Thursday. He certainly seems to be tearing a lot of the nonsense away and focusing sharply on what it means to be an ordained priest.

(Vatican Radio) Below please find the official text of Pope Francis' Homily for Chrism Mass, Holy Thursday 2013:

(http://www.news.va/en/news/pope-homily-for-chrism-mass-full-text)

armaghniac

QuoteAs a general rule, if there's no proof that something exists, I'll consider it not to exist

So you don't believe in the Higgs Boson either?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

stew

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 28, 2013, 06:44:53 PM

God does not exist.

Of course you can't prove God doesn't exist. But the burden is on you to prove that he DOES exist. As a general rule, if there's no proof that something exists, I'll consider it not to exist.

Bullshit! Says who? you? 

It's called faith and why should the burden be put on one side or the other.

As a general rule brings in your own bias, as a general rule, there is no proof that God does not exist. ;)

Maguire01

Quote from: stew on March 29, 2013, 03:52:59 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 28, 2013, 06:44:53 PM

God does not exist.

Bullshit! Says who? you? 

It's called faith and why should the burden be put on one side or the other.

As a general rule brings in your own bias, as a general rule, there is no proof that God does not exist. ;)

If you make the claim that God does exist, then the burden is on you to prove it.

I can't prove God doesn't exist, but I have absolutely no reason to believe he does.

If I was to say that unicorns exist, or the Loch Ness monster exists, would the burden be on you to prove that they don't exist, or on me to prove that they do? Your argument assumes things to be true until you can prove that they're not.

So no, it's not something I say, it's accepted in both legal and philosophical arguments, that the burden of proof is on the person making the claim.

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on March 29, 2013, 03:51:23 PM
QuoteAs a general rule, if there's no proof that something exists, I'll consider it not to exist

So you don't believe in the Higgs Boson either?
I have limited knowledge of physics and don't know enough about research in this area to make a call - it's not something i've thought about.