Wedding presents

Started by tyrone girl, August 17, 2009, 09:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone girl

This has probably been done before but im interested in what the norm is here moneywise, always thought £100 was standard if ya were giving money, im hearing £130/£150 is expected now tho.
Dont get me wrong im not miserable , il give whatevers expected but just wondered is it same everywhere.

ziggysego

Depends on whos wedding it is and if you're invite to the whole thing or not.
Testing Accessibility

stpauls

I would usually give £100 and a wee gift so that they can remember us by. From experience, it is nice to get money, but something else as well were you can look back in a couple fo years and say that such and such gave us that for our wedding present!!

tyrone girl

Just a friends wedding, full day. Tis no odds il give whatever money everyone else giving i dont mind , im not giving out about giving it just wondered what the norm is everywhere.

Armin Tamzarian

Usually just give £100 per couple. Most people just want money instead of a loada tosters and crap. Heard of ones that would ring the hotel and ask for a bottle of champ to be left in the bride and grooms room with a note from them. classy.

ziggysego

Quote from: tyrone girl on August 17, 2009, 09:58:29 AM
Just a friends wedding, full day. Tis no odds il give whatever money everyone else giving i dont mind , im not giving out about giving it just wondered what the norm is everywhere.

£100's grand then. I'd say the £130-£150 are just people trying to outdo the others.
Testing Accessibility

SidelineKick

An aunt of mine got an invite to an Indian wedding a few weeks back.  This is what it said on the invitation (well, the general gist):

"Your presence today is gift enough but if you do wish to give us a present please make it money."ON THE INVITATION!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Armin Tamzarian

Quote from: SidelineKick on August 17, 2009, 10:24:35 AM
An aunt of mine got an invite to an Indian wedding a few weeks back.  This is what it said on the invitation (well, the general gist):

"Your presence today is gift enough but if you do wish to give us a present please make it money."ON THE INVITATION!

I think the above is acceptable.

My invites will say:
Wedding list:
Just money FFS i already have a toaster!

SidelineKick

Quote from: Armin Tamzarian on August 17, 2009, 10:38:05 AM
Quote from: SidelineKick on August 17, 2009, 10:24:35 AM

I think the above is acceptable.

My invites will say:
Wedding list:
Just money FFS i already have a toaster!

Is it seriously? Jesus I thought it was awful cheeky.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

ziggysego

How's it cheeky? Comment sense saying what you want. You don't have to have 5 toaster, 15 sets of cultery, etc.. Money is better.
Testing Accessibility

tyrone girl

I think thats cheeky surely, my parents got invite to cousins wedding and on the invite was some wee poem to the effect of we would like the money please!

Majority of people are gona give them money anyway, just dont like the forwardness/ cheekiness call it what u want of asking people on invites to give them money.

JohnDenver

Would agree with SLKick and TG, bit forward/cheeky asking for ££.  Most people will have enough wit to realise whether a gift or money is the appropriate option.  If a couple are living together already or something then they're obviously going to already have their house kitted out.

You're basically covering the expense of your day out so that they wont be out of pocket.  Id say a fair few weddings cover themselves these days anyway.

T O Hare

£100 is a good present but i reckon is the couple are really close and good friends of yours then i would go for the £150
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Hardy

We live in an age of crassness.

Armin Tamzarian

Think if anyone gave £120/£130 it looks as if you've calculated the cost of them being there. Go for either £100 or £150 if really close.