Wimbledon 2013

Started by gallsman, June 18, 2009, 09:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Every sporting competition appears to get its own thread these days, so I thought I'd get this ball rolling. Wimbledon is always one of the sporting events I look forward to more than others, and the last two finals were two epics that had the feel of history being written as I watched the telly.

Hoping Nadal is able to defend his title- somehow it wouldn't feel the same without both he and Federer. Despite his protestations, I don't think Nadal could be anywhere close to 100%, he was beaten comfortably by Hewitt in an exhibition match today in which his movement was apparently clearly limited. Can't look past Federer and Murray for this one, Murray in my mind being the favourite.

As for the women's, anyone of about six or seven could win it. Probably end up being Venus or Serena though.

Orior

I'd like to start a petition to see topless women tennis.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on June 18, 2009, 09:44:29 PM
Every sporting competition appears to get its own thread these days, so I thought I'd get this ball rolling. Wimbledon is always one of the sporting events I look forward to more than others, and the last two finals were two epics that had the feel of history being written as I watched the telly.

Hoping Nadal is able to defend his title- somehow it wouldn't feel the same without both he and Federer. Despite his protestations, I don't think Nadal could be anywhere close to 100%, he was beaten comfortably by Hewitt in an exhibition match today in which his movement was apparently clearly limited. Can't look past Federer and Murray for this one, Murray in my mind being the favourite.

As for the women's, anyone of about six or seven could win it. Probably end up being Venus or Serena though.

Based on what?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

American who reached the top 40 a few years ago, Ashley Harkleroad, got it all out for Playboy last year if that works for you...

gallsman

Quote from: Minder on June 18, 2009, 09:50:55 PM

Based on what?

The fact that he's won a bucketload of tournaments, is the world number 3 on merit, has a commanding career lead over Federer and Nadal being injured.

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on June 18, 2009, 09:52:33 PM
Quote from: Minder on June 18, 2009, 09:50:55 PM

Based on what?

The fact that he's won a bucketload of tournaments, is the world number 3 on merit, has a commanding career lead over Federer and Nadal being injured.

World of difference between ATP tournamnets and Slams, Nadal and Federer seem to use them to fine tune their game before a Grand Slam. I cant see any way that Murray can beat Federer on grass at present. Until Murray wins a Grand Slam i cant see how you can make him favourite for one.

gallsman

Grand. Without being insulting, I don't generally seek people's approval of my opinions.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on June 18, 2009, 10:01:26 PM
Grand. Without being insulting, I don't generally seek people's approval of my opinions.
If you can't accept people questioning your opinions then I'm afraid you're in the wrong place.

Minder

Touchy.

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 18, 2009, 10:10:08 PM
If you can't accept people questioning your opinions then I'm afraid you're in the wrong place.

Thanks for the advice...

I was merely pointing out the, in my mind perfectly valid, reasons why I think Murray should be favourite.

jimbo

Right Said Fred has more chance of winning Wimbledon - some unranked Eastern European will dump Murray out before the second week!

ludermor

I really don't know why there is so much ill feeling towards to Murray. He has made massive progress over the last 2 years and has matched Federer progress at the same age ( though at his current age Fed went on an unreal run). But that is comparing him with possibly the greatest player ever to have played the game.
Murray has every right to be among the favourites here having won several times on tour this year and last as well as getting to the final of the US Open.
Even though he is a moody bollix id have thought his hatred for the English would have made him a favourite on these shores  ;)

nrico2006

QuoteThe fact that he's won a bucketload of tournaments, is the world number 3 on merit, has a commanding career lead over Federer and Nadal being injured.

I don't see how anyone can have Murray favourite over Federer, even if Nadal was fit and ready I would still have Federer as favourite - his record on grass is astounding!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 19, 2009, 09:32:38 AM
QuoteThe fact that he's won a bucketload of tournaments, is the world number 3 on merit, has a commanding career lead over Federer and Nadal being injured.

I don't see how anyone can have Murray favourite over Federer, even if Nadal was fit and ready I would still have Federer as favourite - his record on grass is astounding!

Just purely down to the fact that he isn't the player he was, or else he still is but a few have caught up with him. He'd done nothing this year until he beat an exhausted Nadal in the final of Madrid. His only challenge that should have been a challenge (Haas has never beaten him) at the French was del Potro. On the other hand, Murray won a rake of tournaments at the start of the year, including the Miami Masters, had his best ever clay court season and breezed through Queen's. That is why I feel justified in making him favourite.

Massey-135

In the past, have many winners of Queens gone on to win at Wimbledon like Murray did this year folks?