Antrim lives up to its name as a sectarian cesspit

Started by Doogie Browser, April 29, 2009, 12:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Still being discussed on talkback at the minute.
Tbc....

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ping Pong Santa on April 29, 2009, 01:18:54 PM
Quote from: full back on April 29, 2009, 01:14:01 PM
Does anyone really expect anything less?

I am awaiting the arrival of the cavalry.................

To be honest, yes.

I thought these days we had passed this kind of behaviour to some extent. I am maybe not surprised that there were some complaints made but I am shocked at how Tesco's caved.

Maybe attitudes have not softened in Antrim as much as they may have in other parts.
Have attitudes really softened anywhere? We may be in the shiny new "post-conflict era" but I think behind the facade people still hold the same prejudices they did before St. Andrews or GFA.

full back

It isnt suprising, especially as some time ago they were complaining about some washing powder company offering something to do with the GAA

nifan

its not surprising as you say full back, but its tragic that some people are so small minded still.
Tescos shouldnt have caved in.

ziggysego

Utter disgraceful behaviour. I see people walking about in Ulster tops, Northern Ireland tops and various IFA club tops. I've never once felt insulted or uncomfortable in their present. Tesco's should have shown a bit of back-bone and told the complainers to wise up. Who are the people that made the complaint?
Testing Accessibility

longrunsthefox

The Tesco spokesman said...
"It is never our intention to cause offence so we rely on the co-operation and tolerance of our customers as we know that we can never please everyone."

What a disgusting mealy mouthed response.

nrico2006

QuoteTesco have opened a can of worms on this one, are they going to allow other sports clubs wear regalia here or elsewhere?

I would like to see if they would prevent a local rugby club from bag packing as a result of people complaing.  As Ziggy said, it is pathetic that anyone can be offended by a jersey which is sporting related.  I see boys all the time in Northern Ireland, Rangers or Linfield tops, and while I hate the sight of them I(the jerseys) it hardly is offensive or makes me feel uncomfortable.  Its nearly as bad as those pathetic individuals who phone in to TV companies and complain about aspects of every film, TV Show or advert that is made nowadays.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

longrunsthefox

Last year there was that clown Ryan Moses of the UUP complained about Tyrone tops on the big 'tinny' statues in Strabane before the All Ireland final. A**sholes who have inflicted the 12th of July bunting and flags on us for years.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Ping Pong Santa on April 29, 2009, 01:12:03 PM
I wish I hadn't opened this thread!

Quote from: fitzroyalty on April 29, 2009, 12:54:27 PM
Comes as no surprise. Some people go out of there way to be offended  ::)
It would seem the unionist councillor who complained has the same tolerance and maturity as that of the children doing the charity bag pack.

Give the kids a break!
Fair point I take it back! Insulting to the kids to say the very least!

Extremely saddening though to see that these people still exist, those who have lived pathetic sheltered lives fed on nothing but sectarian myth and bigotry, who feel offended and compelled to complain about a f*cking underage GAA team!  >:(

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: ziggysego on April 29, 2009, 01:54:57 PM
Utter disgraceful behaviour. I see people walking about in Ulster tops, Northern Ireland tops and various IFA club tops. I've never once felt insulted or uncomfortable in their present. Tesco's should have shown a bit of back-bone and told the complainers to wise up. Who are the people that made the complaint?

It was this bigot Ziggy :

Councillor Adrian WatsonDeputy Mayor of Antrim 2008/2009
UUP

Party Office 028 9446 1211

Tbc....

Doogie Browser

GDA I know this is already in the public domain but maybe better to take this off?  Don't want any idiots blaming us for harassment. 

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Doogie Browser on April 29, 2009, 02:22:05 PM
GDA I know this is already in the public domain but maybe better to take this off?  Don't want any idiots blaming us for harassment. 

He's named in the BBC report and David Dunseth made a strong point in naming him today on the radio.
I will take off his committee posts and home and mobile numbers, but sure all that info is available on the Antrim borough council website.

http://www.antrim.gov.uk/index.cfm/website_Key/27/Category_key/123/Page_Key/159/show/more
Tbc....

ziggysego

The man should be embarrassed of himself GDA. Hopefully the majority of the people he claims to represent are too. Surprised he's a UUP man though.

Doogie, I wouldn't dignify myself by getting in contact with him. He would love that and say it would prove his point about the GAA. I hope others won't either.
Testing Accessibility

Gnevin

Jesus what losers complained about kids collecting some money.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

fitzroyalty

To be fair a "vociferous" phonecall to said eejit would have been fully deserving. Maybe st comgall's should invite him for their next underage prizegiving