Connacht SFC 2019

Started by Rossfan, April 23, 2019, 11:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Sligo clearly came with plan and a big focus to not ship another 20+ beating v Galway but 21 goals conceded this year alone still shows where their problems remain.

Wasn't FOC first choice before injury? 2011 and 2013 U21 All Ireland winner and use to playing alone side Flynn is a decent player to bring in. Danny Cummins good form from NFL seems to have left him with no score v London,Sligo.

galwayman

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 19, 2019, 09:01:16 PM
Sligo clearly came with plan and a big focus to not ship another 20+ beating v Galway but 21 goals conceded this year alone still shows where their problems remain.

Wasn't FOC first choice before injury? 2011 and 2013 U21 All Ireland winner and use to playing alone side Flynn is a decent player to bring in. Danny Cummins good form from NFL seems to have left him with no score v London,Sligo.
Cummins and O'Laoi were both anonymous today.
Danny also had an absolute nightmare against London.
The team is missing Comer hugely.
Liam Silke outstanding today.

Manning18

Quote from: larryin89 on May 19, 2019, 07:33:45 PM
5365 people ,jeez wtf is wrong with Galway people they are pure useless at supporting the county team .

There are 4 teams to support in Galway, including a top class hurling team, rather than just one. How's the support been for the Mayo hurlers recently? Or ladies?

There also tends to be rather more to do in Galway City in the summertime than other spots nearby

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 19, 2019, 07:50:53 PM
5365 people ,jeez wtf is wrong with Galway people they are pure useless at supporting the county team .

They have more sense! Most are saving their money for this Saturday. Going to watch their team hammer an underfunded county like Sligo holds no attraction anymore. Things are not like they were in 1996 anymore!

Sure football and sense have nothing to do with each other. Anyway it is not a recent thing. I remember in Marky Park for a Galway Sligo game back when Bosco was manager and if there was 1000 Galway fans there it was tops. Damn there was probably more Mayo people there for the gawk - like me.

larryin89

Quote from: Manning18 on May 19, 2019, 09:54:28 PM

There are 4 teams to support in Galway, including a top class hurling team, rather than just one. How's the support been for the Mayo hurlers recently? Or ladies?

There also tends to be rather more to do in Galway City in the summertime than other spots nearby

Lol
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Over the Bar

Quote from: Manning18 on May 19, 2019, 09:54:28 PM

Or they'd rather spend the tenner on Netflix? ;D

Duine Eile

Got the job done without being too impressive, Power had a great game I thought, I think maybe 2 of his kick outs went astray, didn't have too many attempts on goal to deal with but thought his distribution was excellent. Liam Silke was fantastic, Tom Flynn was a close second for man of the match I think. Our forward play is very hit and miss, think Cummins and Ó Laoi played themselves off the team today, Martin Farragher scored more than both of them in the space of 5 minutes when he came on. That full forward line are too similar and need someone like Farragher or Comer etc to play off. Plenty to work on before a Connacht final. Poor Molloy, you'd have to feel sorry for him, just when he finally gets his chance to start he ends up off injured, hopefully it's not as bad as first thought but it didn't look good.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Duine Eile on May 19, 2019, 11:29:19 PM
Got the job done without being too impressive, Power had a great game I thought, I think maybe 2 of his kick outs went astray, didn't have too many attempts on goal to deal with but thought his distribution was excellent. Liam Silke was fantastic, Tom Flynn was a close second for man of the match I think. Our forward play is very hit and miss, think Cummins and Ó Laoi played themselves off the team today, Martin Farragher scored more than both of them in the space of 5 minutes when he came on. That full forward line are too similar and need someone like Farragher or Comer etc to play off. Plenty to work on before a Connacht final. Poor Molloy, you'd have to feel sorry for him, just when he finally gets his chance to start he ends up off injured, hopefully it's not as bad as first thought but it didn't look good.

Fella on Hogan Stand (pinch of salt needed) said Molloy popped out the shoulder but it got put back in and he's planning on training on Tuesday. Hopefully true.

Duine Eile

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 20, 2019, 12:03:09 AM

Fella on Hogan Stand (pinch of salt needed) said Molloy popped out the shoulder but it got put back in and he's planning on training on Tuesday. Hopefully true.

Hopefully he's right! Wouldn't surprise me though, Molloy is as tough and as highly motivated as they come.

moysider

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 20, 2019, 12:03:09 AM

Dislocations don't work like that. He'll struggle to lift a cuppa coffee tomorrow morning.
Wish him well with his recovery. He's a breath of fresh air to watch and came across really well in an interview I heard a few weeks ago on radio.

cornetto

It's a sad indictment of the sligo/galway game when they didnt even analyse it on the Sunday game.one thing that did stand out at me was when Johnny heaney scored his goal Danny cummins barely looked at him as he celebrated,I'm not being negative but there have been rumblings of disquiet in the camp over player favouritism.i just hope all these things are put to bed as they prepare for another connacht final.

magpie seanie

Quote from: cornetto on May 20, 2019, 08:31:09 AM
It's a sad indictment of the sligo/galway game when they didnt even analyse it on the Sunday game.one thing that did stand out at me was when Johnny heaney scored his goal Danny cummins barely looked at him as he celebrated,I'm not being negative but there have been rumblings of disquiet in the camp over player favouritism.i just hope all these things are put to bed as they prepare for another connacht final.

Last week Rocommon v Leitrim got a lot more coverage and analysis. I thought it was very disrespectful but typical of RTE though I'd imagine if there was "analysis" it might have been worse.

westbound

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 20, 2019, 10:08:12 AM

Last week Rocommon v Leitrim got a lot more coverage and analysis. I thought it was very disrespectful but typical of RTE though I'd imagine if there was "analysis" it might have been worse.

I don't know what analysis you saw of Ros V leitrim last week, but all i saw was joe brolly going off on a rant about 3 tiers!

Owenmoresider

It's a sad indictment of the sligo/galway game when they didnt even analyse it on the Sunday game.
Sure Connacht Championship games (bar Mayo/Galway) are only to be used as fodder to push the tiered championship agenda by the "analysts" now, who needs a bit of analysis as to what Galway or ourselves did right/wrong. Bad enough that but I see the match programme is being used for the same agenda now too.

As regards the game, the margin did flatter Galway a bit but they were always winning it regardless, and probably had plenty more in them if they were being pushed hard enough to win, the two goals finished any real prospect of that off. Considering how badly the league went and especially how wide open we were defensively in it they coped relatively well bar the 2-3 minutes that did the damage. Were far too limited in any attacking threat in the first half when we had the wind though, usually only one man inside (who was being pulled and dragged constantly by Ó Ceallaigh, and Kerin was no better) and there were times when lads were crossing the 45 with the ball and nobody was inside to get a pass. Had to keep things tight obviously but it was like Mayo two years ago, playing not to lose heavily more than anything. Will have to see who we get in the qualifiers but I'd doubt there'll be a third game in it for us this year.

cornetto

Glowing report for mayo in today's indo, keep it up please, yes I think roscommon will give them a good game and pack bodies into their defence,midfield is where I think mayo may have the advantage unless Ross have come up with a good kickout plan.one part of me wants mayo to run out easy winners without their deficiencies been shown up,another wants it to be so close that numerous cracks appear in the league champions,so many in fact that there wont be time to remedy them all😁
Unfortunately we in galway dont know how good or bad we are, with the games we have had and by the time we do, it may be too late😞