2023 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 10, 2022, 08:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Cassidy

Great win and really sets them up to push on now in division 4. Unfortunately I couldn't make it, how were they set up Unlaoised? Conceding no goals is a good sign as we've been very open and great to see us hitting the onion sack too.

on the hop

it was a good win, all away ones are and hopefully it won't pancake like last year when we won in Louth in the opening game as well. conditions were tough for both teams with the pitch very heavy and a swirling type of wind. the misty rain that fell in the second half made it much more awkward and the game really dropped off in quality with endless hand passing over and back across the field. realistically it was awful stuff, both teams had really poor periods, Sligo were really bad and seemed obsessed with the hand passing game with no end product.

There failure to make any real head way was probably down to our defensive structure, Timmons mostly played as sweeper, with both wing backs tucked back in line with him, with the two wing forwards back in the wing back position and both midfielders in the space in front of Timmons. at times we had no forward in the opposite half so it was a lot of bodies for them to get through. they had no real target man and didn't try to change it up either which suited us. then we pushed forward we really only went with four forwards and it was noticeable that the wing backs, midfield never pushed up in support. many of our scores came from counter attacks in the first half or from winning kick outs and moving the ball quickly, in fairness we scored some excellent points. downside, was that with none or one forward alone inside we ended up crabbing across the field, this was more of a problem in the second half. we don't have the pace or mobility currently at 6, 8 or 9 to make that big line break from deep when the space appears. we hung on after a very long period of the second half when we didn't score and missed some awful chances and probably a few changes should have been made to spark it on. in fairness once we got the late goal , they gave up and we kicked a point to give the scoreboard a better reflection.

in terms of the team, Osborne didn't have much to do and the kick outs weren't really tested, full back line was solid with Timmons as the cover, whether he is suitable for later in the year remains to be seen. both wing backs did ok and pushed on near the end when it opened up a bit. As a pair midfield was solid, Lillis probably had his best first half in a long time and caught a lot of ball, they didn't really push forward. the forwards were probably so/so. all at times had their moments but collectively it wasn't great. evan, barry and corbett were average enough, evan having no real luck with his shooting, lowry was very good in the first half and kingston was very clinical with his shots. Swayne was very busy when he came in and walker once again was lively capped off with a goal. none of the other raft of subs were on long enough to do anything.

Laois Rising

I'm not sure why Sligo had expectations of beating Laois today. Even the bookies had them as favourites today. They have been really really poor the last number of years. I think they got caught up in the hype of winning an U20 title in Connaught and riding the wave of a lucky draw in the Tailteann Cup last year. If memory serves me correctly they fluked a win over New York and beat Leitrim on penalties before giving a spirited performance losing to Cavan in a semi-final. Laois should be beating a team of the stature of Sligo by at least 5/6 points which they ultimately did. It was a case of job done today. Winter conditions (and I mean no offence by this) suit a pairing like Lilis and Finn. It is when you hit the firmer pitches of the summer and the pace of games really intensifies that will be the test of them. However, it is a good start. I'd like to see players like Burke of Crettyard get game time in the league. the reality is Finn and Lillis in their 30s and its asking a lot of them to keep going for a full 70 minutes in the big games later in the year. Having players with youth, speed and athleticism to come on with 10/15 minutes to go in the heat of battle in a Tailteann Cup knock out game could prove crucial to our chances this year. With Wexford not overly impressive in their game this weekend I expect Laois to go two wins from two next week.

on the hop

i would include Timmons in there as well unless we continue with this very defensive system with him as a sweeper. long term i would hope Paddy O Sullivan is moved back to a more natural position.

redsetanta

Good to get the win especially away from home but has been said we started well to the league last year as well.

Have to follow it up with another win to really get momentum.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Spiritof86

I have to say I was slightly disappointed . A lot of that performance resembled last years opener against Louth . We won against a poor Sligo side and the game was in the balance for a while in the second half .
If the conditions hadn't deteriorated we would have been in more trouble . Lillis , Finn and Timmons all magnificent servants to Laois football will struggle on dry sod against a half decent team .
Pains me to say it but that is glaringly obvious .
I didn't see any progression from last year's performances on Sunday .

Evan , Lowry and Kingston all good footballers but blow hot and cold frequently.
Barry and Corbett were ok but Barry in Particular would be more effective closer to goal.

In fairness the backs were decent yesterday and physically better than Sligo .
Not a bad turn out from Laois in fairness . Never got the impression Sligo supporters were that disgusted during or after the match as a previous poster mentioned. 

Wexford will be interesting Sunday . They'll have to show something after that draw in London .
Saying that I hear London are decent and will get a scalp or two this year .

A win is a win but this was no means a great win .

Tony

Slightly disappointed? You'll never please some people, it's hilarious  :D.

6 point away win against the favourites to win the division. It was a very solid performance and great foundation to work on. Don't forget where we are in 2023. This isn't 2003.

I'm delighted with that performance, for the first proper match of the year. Sure, stuff to work on and we'll be well off any team in the first 2 divisions but we're trying hard and we have to be realistic.

Getting promoted and haveing a decent run in the Tailteann would be a very good, positive year. Have to be realistic.

High Fielder

I thought we did a job and managed the game well. I've seen no evidence to suggest we should be running rings around any team in the country, so we need to take a realistic view of where we're at. We're looking for a spark at the moment, and if this set of players can win the division, that might inspire others. That's as much as we can hope for at the moment

Giovanni

Quote from: Tony on January 30, 2023, 07:59:15 PM
Slightly disappointed? You'll never please some people, it's hilarious  :D.

6 point away win against the favourites to win the division. It was a very solid performance and great foundation to work on. Don't forget where we are in 2023. This isn't 2003.

I'm delighted with that performance, for the first proper match of the year. Sure, stuff to work on and we'll be well off any team in the first 2 divisions but we're trying hard and we have to be realistic.

Getting promoted and haveing a decent run in the Tailteann would be a very good, positive year. Have to be realistic.

This is a bit harsh on Spiritof86. From my point of view, he was trying to look beyond the result, which of course was excellent. I think it's right that we should look beyond the result, both when we win and lose. It's possible to win a game and not have a great performance and to lose a game and be very good indeed. Generally, our reactions are much too aligned with the result rather than the performance and this is not very helpful to anyone, particularly in our situation.

County Man

My take on it was that is was a valuable 2 points away in tough conditions.

The forwards clicked well in the first half with some fantastic scores, especially by Paul Kingston. Defense was sound with Sean Greene having a good league debut.

With the rain adding to the strong wind in second half, playing conditions were poor. But we kept our shape and discipline and got over the line for a fine result.

The key now is that we drive it on v Wexford and get another win.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Can't understand why Laois GAA would not allow a double header with the Ladies football team take place in O'Moore Park next Sunday .
Surely this would have been a benefit to all Laois supporters.

https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/gaa/1024565/laois-gaa-shoot-down-the-idea-of-doubleheader-with-ladies-team.html
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Giovanni

Hard to fathom from a games development perspective. Would there be an issue about having to split the gate?

Laois Rising

An agreement could have been made regarding the gate split if that was the issue. It's a really poor decision, especially after the success of the women's team last year. If the county board rejected the request from the Laois LGFA they should have the decency to give a reason to the public for turning down this request. Paying Lip service to promoting women's football is no good to anyone. Show initiative is what is needed. 

Having at least one double header game in O'Moore Park, where the Laois LGFA could do a big promotional push on the game, bringing in juveniles from the different clubs should be supported. Laois LGFA need to build on the momentum and excitement gained from last year's All-ireland success. After last weekend's result it is evident to see we are a long way of the pace at senior level. We may not get to experience the success of 2022 again for the foreseeable future so it is important to strike now while the iron is out so to speak and keep promoting the women's game within the county. We were once a powerhouse of women's football. It is important that Laois LGFA are supported in trying to climb the ladder again to the top table of women's football.   

clonadmad

The least they could have done was come up with a reason as to why it wasn't feasible

A Games promotion opportunity missed

Unlaoised

LAOIS ABÚ