AQMP

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 04, 2013, 11:17:54 AM
Quote from: AQMP on January 04, 2013, 10:31:26 AM
Quote from: michaelg on January 03, 2013, 10:34:08 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2013, 10:29:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 03, 2013, 10:24:21 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2013, 09:43:01 PM
At the risk of repeating myself...

All golfing competitions are organised on a provincial and all-Ireland basis. So what would make Rory feel British?

1) he was brought up in Holywood with its English maypole and forever bedecked in british/loyalist flags.
2) he went to a non-denominational school. Which means soccer and no gaelic.

This is why I'm not a fan of non-denominational schools - the ones I have seen wouldn't allow gaelic football. Rory could have been a handy left corner forward for Down.

How do you know he would have been a handy CF?

Boy's Model ran in partnership with St Pats a hurling team, a lot of promotional stuff and it worked well for what it was.

Going to a non denominational school means fcuk all, Holywood has it's own Gaelic team, he choose not to play for them as golf was his thing, going to a non denominational school also made him have friends outside of his religion, not a bad idea as the dcikhead who wants to keep this place divided will send their kids to one religion schools. Just my view

I was talking to a woman who had a brief teaching spell in the Boys Model. On the second day the pupils worked out that she was a catholic so they drummed the sash on the walls every time she walked past them. Nice place.

I went to a school that wouldnt entertain soccer. I'm just a product of that era, and all I can see is the erosion of Gaelic games through non-denominational schools.
Just out of interest, do you get many protestant teachers teaching in catholic schools?

Yes, you'd probably be surprised.  A Protestant friend of mine taught in a convent school for about 18 months as far back as the late 80s.
So far we have accounted for 2  ;D

There are at least two in my daughter's school, so I'll see your two and raise you two ;)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AQMP on January 04, 2013, 11:55:20 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 04, 2013, 11:17:54 AM
Quote from: AQMP on January 04, 2013, 10:31:26 AM
Quote from: michaelg on January 03, 2013, 10:34:08 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2013, 10:29:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 03, 2013, 10:24:21 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2013, 09:43:01 PM
At the risk of repeating myself...

All golfing competitions are organised on a provincial and all-Ireland basis. So what would make Rory feel British?

1) he was brought up in Holywood with its English maypole and forever bedecked in british/loyalist flags.
2) he went to a non-denominational school. Which means soccer and no gaelic.

This is why I'm not a fan of non-denominational schools - the ones I have seen wouldn't allow gaelic football. Rory could have been a handy left corner forward for Down.

How do you know he would have been a handy CF?

Boy's Model ran in partnership with St Pats a hurling team, a lot of promotional stuff and it worked well for what it was.

Going to a non denominational school means fcuk all, Holywood has it's own Gaelic team, he choose not to play for them as golf was his thing, going to a non denominational school also made him have friends outside of his religion, not a bad idea as the dcikhead who wants to keep this place divided will send their kids to one religion schools. Just my view

I was talking to a woman who had a brief teaching spell in the Boys Model. On the second day the pupils worked out that she was a catholic so they drummed the sash on the walls every time she walked past them. Nice place.

I went to a school that wouldnt entertain soccer. I'm just a product of that era, and all I can see is the erosion of Gaelic games through non-denominational schools.
Just out of interest, do you get many protestant teachers teaching in catholic schools?

Yes, you'd probably be surprised.  A Protestant friend of mine taught in a convent school for about 18 months as far back as the late 80s.
So far we have accounted for 2  ;D

There are at least two in my daughter's school, so I'll see your two and raise you two ;)
I thought teachers in CCMS schools needed the CCRS on top of their teaching bona fides?

AQMP

I believe teaching in NI is exempt from Fair Employment legislation.  AFAIK a CCRS is normal at primary school level but by no means compulsory at secondary level.

EC Unique

I know of a non catholic teaching in the CBS in Omagh..

magpie seanie

Things have a long way to go.

heganboy

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 04, 2013, 01:51:10 PM

master of understatement there Seanie.

This thread disappoints me regularly
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

imtommygunn

Quote from: armaghniac on January 04, 2013, 02:45:17 AM
If McIllroy is promoting division in Irish sport then we are entitled to criticise him without being characterised as begrudgers.

Yes. This line of thinking is astounding.

Hardy

Quote from: heganboy on January 04, 2013, 02:28:51 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 04, 2013, 01:51:10 PM

master of understatement there Seanie.

This thread disappoints me regularly

I'd go for depresses over disappoints.

Puckoon

It's weird to see all this declaration of "he's a catholic" or questions about the denomination of teachers. That is not what defines many people any more.

There's some very limited thinking from posters who you'd want to give credit to for having a baseline of intelligence, but reading their thoughts on this matter make me wonder if they're really a whole lot smarter than the wankers and their flags.

Rois

Quote from: Hardy on January 04, 2013, 02:36:15 PM

I'd go for depresses over disappoints.

My thoughts exactly. 

armaghniac

It seems that several posters on this thread like to resort to implying that those they do not agree with are less intelligent. Such posters, no doubt mensa members, should have little problem refuting points made by the less intelligent and this would be a better contribution to discussion.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

Quote from: armaghniac on January 04, 2013, 02:45:17 AM
If McIllroy is promoting division in Irish sport then we are entitled to criticise him without being characterised as begrudgers.

Where are you even meant to begin with that one?

thebigfella

Quote from: armaghniac on January 04, 2013, 03:15:45 PM
It seems that several posters on this thread like to resort to implying that those they do not agree with are less intelligent. Such posters, no doubt mensa members, should have little problem refuting points made by the less intelligent and this would be a better contribution to discussion.

In fairness they don't need to imply anything, your posts stand for themselves in implying this.

stibhan

McIlroy is free to choose whatever national identity he so wishes, and anybody who disagrees with that is a complete arsehole. It's 2013 - I don't really care what someone decides to call themselves and the idea that Rory would offend anyone with a brain cell by choosing Britain or Northern Ireland is ridiculous to me. Likewise if he chose Ireland.

I'm comfortable enough as an Irish republican from Belfast to honestly not care either way. Both team Ireland and team GB would be lucky to have him.

stibhan

Also, these analyses of sport, culture and national identity in schools really leave a lot to be desired, especially given that I went to a Catholic Grammar school at around the same time as Rory and our school promoted Rugby, Golf, Soccer, GAA and Basketball, Waterpolo, Athletics, Rowing. It's ridiculous to try and pigeonhole a person in this way.