Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

There's a simple answer to this flag nonsense - have a new Northern Ireland flag - I imagine the likes of McIlroy would be only too happy if there was a more 'inclusive' flag he could stand under. The problem is there's unlikely to be any political appetite from some parties who wouldn't want to admit that NI is here for another generation at least. But if there was a recognition that any 'unification' model was likely to include NI as a canton (with its own Assembly, devolved from Dublin), then the flag would continue to have its place going forward.

Maguire01

Quote from: stew on October 05, 2012, 02:35:42 PM
Orior, we have already sold our souls, the GAA allowed soccer and Rugby to be played on Croke Park soil, the butchers apron was displayed for all to see.
England don't play under the butcher's apron.

tommysmith

Premier Emperor

This flag pushing on McIlroy is getting embarrassing now.   ::)
I don't envy the lad being involved in a sectarian tug of war.
Unfortunately most of the stupidity is coming from one community moreso than the other.

Rory McIlroy will carry Tricolour at Olympic opening ceremony - if he declares for Ireland

GOLFER Rory McIlroy will be offered the chance to carry the Irish flag at the opening ceremony of the 2016 Rio Olympics in return for pledging his sporting allegiance to the country.

Pat Hickey, the president of the Olympic Council of Ireland, has attempted to sway the world number one after years of speculation about who McIlroy will declare for.

"I will say to Rory that if he declares for Ireland, then he will automatically put himself in pole position to carry the Tricolour into the stadium in Rio," said Mr Hickey, who is also a board member on the International Olympic Committee.

"What he has done on the world stage for Irish golf is absolutely astonishing. Personally, I would dearly love for him to represent Ireland."

In 2009, he claimed he would "probably play for Great Britain" as he has a UK passport, a stance he reiterated last month when he hinted in an interview that he has "always felt more British than Irish".

McIlroy subsequently insisted he had not made up his mind, prompting Mr Hickey to tempt him to declare for Ireland with talk of being flag-bearer.

Golf makes its first appearance at the summer games since 1904 at the Rio Olympics.

"Can you just imagine what something like this would do for Rory McIlroy?" Mr Hickey added.

"It would suddenly catapult him into the realms of being one of the most instantly recognisable sporting faces on the planet. Because make no mistake about it, that's what carrying the flag does for people."

He said that he did not think that McIlroy had yet made up his mind despite a series of comments on who he might choose to represent.

McIlroy, already well established as one of golf's true superstars, will be aware of the incentive that flag-bearing would carry.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/rory-mcilroy-will-carry-tricolour-at-olympic-opening-ceremony-if-he-declares-for-ireland-3253773.html

dillinger

As stated before, only the top two players get into the Olimpics from each country. If Rory has a bad run he may not qualify for the UK.

He may not then even make it into the B team, i.e. Ireland. :)

AQMP

Quote from: Premier Emperor on October 09, 2012, 09:42:13 AM
Unfortunately most of the stupidity is coming from one community moreso than the other.

Rory McIlroy will carry Tricolour at Olympic opening ceremony - if he declares for Ireland

GOLFER Rory McIlroy will be offered the chance to carry the Irish flag at the opening ceremony of the 2016 Rio Olympics in return for pledging his sporting allegiance to the country.

Pat Hickey, the president of the Olympic Council of Ireland, has attempted to sway the world number one after years of speculation about who McIlroy will declare for.

"I will say to Rory that if he declares for Ireland, then he will automatically put himself in pole position to carry the Tricolour into the stadium in Rio," said Mr Hickey, who is also a board member on the International Olympic Committee.

"What he has done on the world stage for Irish golf is absolutely astonishing. Personally, I would dearly love for him to represent Ireland."

In 2009, he claimed he would "probably play for Great Britain" as he has a UK passport, a stance he reiterated last month when he hinted in an interview that he has "always felt more British than Irish".

McIlroy subsequently insisted he had not made up his mind, prompting Mr Hickey to tempt him to declare for Ireland with talk of being flag-bearer.

Golf makes its first appearance at the summer games since 1904 at the Rio Olympics.

"Can you just imagine what something like this would do for Rory McIlroy?" Mr Hickey added.

"It would suddenly catapult him into the realms of being one of the most instantly recognisable sporting faces on the planet. Because make no mistake about it, that's what carrying the flag does for people."

He said that he did not think that McIlroy had yet made up his mind despite a series of comments on who he might choose to represent.

McIlroy, already well established as one of golf's true superstars, will be aware of the incentive that flag-bearing would carry.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/rory-mcilroy-will-carry-tricolour-at-olympic-opening-ceremony-if-he-declares-for-ireland-3253773.html

Is this a joke??

screenexile

Quote from: AQMP on October 09, 2012, 10:27:29 AM

Is this a joke??

What makes you say that?

nifan

Does that guy really think carrying the flag at the olympics makes you one of the "most instantly recognisable sporting faces on the planet"?

The Worker

Quote from: nifan on October 09, 2012, 10:51:52 AM
Does that guy really think carrying the flag at the olympics makes you one of the "most instantly recognisable sporting faces on the planet"?

its not gonna detract from your status anyhow.

AQMP

Quote from: screenexile on October 09, 2012, 10:49:19 AM
Quote from: AQMP on October 09, 2012, 10:27:29 AM

Is this a joke??

What makes you say that?

Does Pat Hickey really think this will be an incentive to someone who feels more British than Irish?  Ill thought out and ill timed I would have thought.  I'd say if McIlroy reads this he'll think "Right that's it, I'm going to represent GB!"

Olaf

I think that he's already there Mr Hickey.

Is this a wind-up?

nifan

Quote from: The Worker on October 09, 2012, 11:07:56 AM
Quote from: nifan on October 09, 2012, 10:51:52 AM

its not gonna detract from your status anyhow.

Its not, but what he said is nonsense.
Does anyone think Katie Taylor is one of the most recognisable sporting faces on the planet now.
Outside of Ireland nobody remembers she carried the flag barely.

Can anyone remember who carried the US flag for example? I had to look it up.

fitzroyalty

The only thing carrying the flag would do for Rory would cement his identity (to the rest of the globe) as being Irish! So team GB it is then!

Mentalman

Saw the article this morning and thought "dear oh dear". What a hamfisted attempt to get him on board. Then I saw it was Pat Hickey and was no longer surprised. I think Mr. Hickey got it the wrong way round, from a purely financial view whoever gets Rory on board will make a fortune. In the greater scheme of things that boon would be worth more the Irish Olympic committee than Team GB, but is not so inconsiderable that it's not a factor for them too. Expect the toadying to continue until McIlroy puts Hickey and Co. out of their misery.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

joe bloggs

I couldn't believe what I was reading in the Article.

Hickey is some amadan. he must never have seen the footage of McIlroy rejecting a tri-colour after his US open win. Rory seems to be careful now about flags, and just sticks to the NI flag, which is probably the safest bet for him considering the rubbish that some people come out with. The last thing he would want is to be out in front carrying the flag for whoever he chooses to play for.

Hickey may have just helped make up his mind.