Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

I don't see why people are going so far out of their way to be offended. He seems like a modest enough kid who is the worlds best at a sport. Whether he's Irish/Northern Irish can we not just celebrate that fact rather than stick a label on him and say "he's one of themmuns I don't like him"

It's the 21st Century surely we can just be happy that somebody from this island is making it on the world stage!!

stew

Quote from: screenexile on October 03, 2012, 03:26:14 PM
I don't see why people are going so far out of their way to be offended. He seems like a modest enough kid who is the worlds best at a sport. Whether he's Irish/Northern Irish can we not just celebrate that fact rather than stick a label on him and say "he's one of themmuns I don't like him"

It's the 21st Century surely we can just be happy that somebody from this island is making it on the world stage!!

Well said. hopefully his generation begin to forget the tribalism we grew up in, if we are to move on from the past we should want future generations to think for themselves and we should want them to have no part of the sectarian baggage we all were subject to.

I am not happy Rory is leaning toward the brits but I applaud him for going his own way and not making decisions to appease the likes of us on here.

I think he is a great kid and I wish him all the best, flags, emblems can all feck off as far as I am concerned, I am sick, sore and tired of tri colors and butchers aprons.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

give her dixie

I have been following Rory for a few years now, and he has some serious talent, and is now the No.1 golfer in the world. He has won 2 major's, and played a major role in the Ryder Cup at the weekend.

What ever he does in his private life and whatever flag he wants to wrap himself in is irrelevant to me, and I couldn't care less. It's what he does on the golf course that interests me.

He is from County Down, and i'm very proud of not only him, but the other golfers from Ireland who do us proud with all the success they have on the world stage.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Cold tea

I am more concerned with my family that if someone wants to play for one country or another.  Someone in my office was complaining today that her son was sent to his room last night because he kept asking about homework when the UTD match was on - priorities!!  Rory seems a nice guy with a good technical ability to move a ball about a golf course, whom he wants to represent at the Olympics doing this - I really couldn't care less.

stew

Quote from: give her dixie on October 03, 2012, 03:34:57 PM
I have been following Rory for a few years now, and he has some serious talent, and is now the No.1 golfer in the world. He has won 2 major's, and played a major role in the Ryder Cup at the weekend.

What ever he does in his private life and whatever flag he wants to wrap himself in is irrelevant to me, and I couldn't care less. It's what he does on the golf course that interests me.

He is from County Down, and i'm very proud of not only him, but the other golfers from Ireland who do us proud with all the success they have on the world stage.

If he draped himself in the Israeli fleg you would shit yourself amd hate on him forever more GHD. ;)

give her dixie

Quote from: stew on October 03, 2012, 04:03:02 PM

If he draped himself in the Israeli fleg you would shit yourself amd hate on him forever more GHD. ;)

Could be worse Stew, he could be from Armagh  ;)
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 03, 2012, 01:51:19 PM
McIlroy can't fail to know and understand what the "Ulster Flag" means and signifys to nationalists. it is the flag of choice of loyalist death gangs, one of which killed his uncle. So when he wraps himself in it he would also understand that many nationalists and republicans see it as him firmly nailing his colours to the mast. McGuigan wisely avoided flags.

So by your logic he is endorsing those murdering scumbags? And if he draped himself in a tri-colour............
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

oisinog

At the end of the day this young fella is doing something he loved he is helping to generate a lot of income into the irish economy as there is people coming from all over the word to play on the gold courses in Ireland that he did.

I'm not a massive fan or Rory McIlroy but I would follow him to see how he is getting on.

Its typical of this board that everything comes down to politics and its a joke that we cant celebrate one of the best come backs ever in sport with out people spouting crap about flags.

Some people on here need to get a life

ziggysego

Quote from: give her dixie on October 03, 2012, 04:33:50 PM

Rory would never stoop that low.
Testing Accessibility

Orior

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 03, 2012, 04:38:00 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 03, 2012, 01:51:19 PM
McIlroy can't fail to know and understand what the "Ulster Flag" means and signifys to nationalists. it is the flag of choice of loyalist death gangs, one of which killed his uncle. So when he wraps himself in it he would also understand that many nationalists and republicans see it as him firmly nailing his colours to the mast. McGuigan wisely avoided flags.

So by your logic he is endorsing those murdering scumbags? And if he draped himself in a tri-colour............

Remember the Flags and Emblems act? Remember the controversy when Shorts and H&W etc were forced to take down the NI flag from the workplace? What was that all about? Why didnt the cathloics just turn a blind eye?

The couldnt-care-less attitude is admirable. But this is the North of Ireland. I would still support Snory Rory if he wore a pair of Union Flag trousers, but hey, shouldnt I be allowed (on an Internet forum) to register my lack of comfort with his accessories? It doesnt mean I admire him any less.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

laoislad

I think he is a little bollix and I don't like him.
GMac seems like a nice fella.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

stew

Quote from: give her dixie on October 03, 2012, 04:33:50 PM

Touche   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Well played ya fecker. ;D

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: laoislad on October 03, 2012, 05:06:12 PM
+infinity, i never liked him, he always came across as a self serving p***k imo, he really only cares about himself, he puts no value on the backing irish golfing union gave him when he had to rely on mammy and daddy, but sure that all forgotten. His comments showed his true colours but sure the reaction made him make a carefully worded statement trying to hide his allegiance to gb. It was actually insulting pandering to the masses that statement considering what hesaid only a day or so previous. Gmac comes across way better. I even like the english golfers way more than mcilroy just in case im classed as anti british.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

gallsman

Coming from same fella who was disgusted to hear Marty Clarke wrote "NI" on his arm during his first spell in Oz.

He puts no value on the backing the "Irish Golfing Union" gave him? How do you know that? Did you overhear him laughing about it with his mates in the pub or something? When he had to rely on mammy and daddy? You mean when he was a child? Heaven forbid.

What are his "true colours"? McIlroy can identify himself whatever hell the way he likes. It's not up to the likes of you to condemn him for it.

Out of interest, as the GUI is a 32 county body, what are its sources of funding?

stew

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 03, 2012, 06:06:11 PM
Quote from: laoislad on October 03, 2012, 05:06:12 PM
+infinity, i never liked him, he always came across as a self serving p***k imo, he really only cares about himself, he puts no value on the backing irish golfing union gave him when he had to rely on mammy and daddy, but sure that all forgotten. His comments showed his true colours but sure the reaction made him make a carefully worded statement trying to hide his allegiance to gb. It was actually insulting pandering to the masses that statement considering what hesaid only a day or so previous. Gmac comes across way better. I even like the english golfers way more than mcilroy just in case im classed as anti british.

Sligonian, how do you feel about the lads from the wee six, those say who are good enough to don the ROI jersey in  the soccer yet in order to do so must defect from the NI youth teams that developed them?

Lets hope there are more talented kids out there that dont follow the traditional party lines and can actually think for themselves.