How to avoid Sky

Started by turkey+ham, May 05, 2016, 11:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey+ham

Sky bill getting out of hand. What are the options to watch sport movies etc? I've got an apple tv box that is used for netflix, but want access to the soccer, golf etc that sky show. What is everyone using? Firestick? Chromecast?

lurganblue

the only reason i still have sky is because they gave me the basic package for 6 quid a month.  I thought that was worth it for the recording function alone.

I use the firestick and kodi for sky sports/PPV/Movies etc.

after my 6 quid a month deal runs out i think i'll look into the openboxes that the general describes.

Boycey

Everything general says is spot on but I'd advise anyone to spend a few extra quid and get one of these boxes. They're about £80/90, have a twin tuner (watch one thing record another) can be set up to look like Sky with a 7 day program guide etc. The openboxes work grand but are a bit user unfriendly. I was never able to train my woman to use the fecking thing :-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-ZGEMMA-H-2S-DUAL-CORE-SATELLITE-RECEIVER-DVB-Excellent-service-/162028467776?hash=item25b9a63640:g:sX8AAOSwUuFWv48Q

general

Quote from: Boycey on May 05, 2016, 01:11:49 PM
Everything general says is spot on but I'd advise anyone to spend a few extra quid and get one of these boxes. They're about £80/90, have a twin tuner (watch one thing record another) can be set up to look like Sky with a 7 day program guide etc. The openboxes work grand but are a bit user unfriendly. I was never able to train my woman to use the fecking thing :-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-ZGEMMA-H-2S-DUAL-CORE-SATELLITE-RECEIVER-DVB-Excellent-service-/162028467776?hash=item25b9a63640:g:sX8AAOSwUuFWv48Q

Good to know Boycey! Will get one of these ones myself! Hard to keep them women happy at the best of times! A Sky TV Guide would be helpful

Mhic Easmuint

Can you get a list of channels available through these devices?
Is RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4 available?

lurganblue

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on May 05, 2016, 03:54:48 PM

cant see a problem with getting RTE1, RTE2 and TG4 as theyre on Sky anyway.  Dunno about TV3

Boycey

Quote from: general on May 05, 2016, 03:38:42 PM
Quote from: Boycey on May 05, 2016, 01:11:49 PM

Good to know Boycey! Will get one of these ones myself! Hard to keep them women happy at the best of times! A Sky TV Guide would be helpful

They slightly more awkward to set up but there are plenty of guides out there to follow but once done they are a hugely superior user experience.

Boycey

Quote from: lurganblue on May 05, 2016, 03:58:29 PM
Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on May 05, 2016, 03:54:48 PM

cant see a problem with getting RTE1, RTE2 and TG4 as theyre on Sky anyway.  Dunno about TV3

All the Irish channels are available whether you are North or south

Esmarelda

What would you recommend for someone who had Sky, was happy to pay for it, but not the sports package? How would I best avail of the sports channels?

Boycey

Quote from: Esmarelda on May 05, 2016, 04:45:59 PM
What would you recommend for someone who had Sky, was happy to pay for it, but not the sports package? How would I best avail of the sports channels?

I'd still buy one of those boxes.. you can run up to 4 cables in from your dish

Esmarelda

Quote from: Boycey on May 05, 2016, 04:48:13 PM

Sorry to sound like a novice, but are you saying I should buy all three of the products that General recommended, the box you recommended as well as having my own Sky Box?

Boycey

Quote from: Esmarelda on May 05, 2016, 04:58:24 PM
Quote from: Boycey on May 05, 2016, 04:48:13 PM

Sorry to sound like a novice, but are you saying I should buy all three of the products that General recommended, the box you recommended as well as having my own Sky Box?

Not quite..

You will need another box. Your existing box will be using one or two feeds from the dish so you can run another 1 or two in for a second box. General linked an entry level box, the one I linked is a mid level one there are dearer ones. If you are keeping your own skybox the cheaper one will do you fine.

Secondly the wifi dongle is to connect the box to your internet this is required for the 3rd thing to work.

Thirdly the subscription, it basically acts as a sky card and decodes all the channels...

With the box I linked it'll cost you £100 to set up and with generals it'll cost £60 after that it only costs the price of a subscription annually. For what its worth I think if you buy a dearer box you will eventually get rid of ur existing Sky subscription isn't the minimum package 20/30 a month anyway?

Disclaimer - Its always rumoured that SKY are on the verge of cutting off this loophole so it could all grind to a halt tomorrow but I've has 3 years of happy viewing so far...

No wides

Do you need 400 channels tell sky to f**k off, keep the box keep the free view channels, netflix is 6.99 keep every one happy, get a movie the odd night make it a treat, go to the cinema with the family.  Get out more and do more - f**k TV it is there to dull the mind.

thewobbler

Agreed. Watch less. Do more.