"Croker"

Started by Eamonnca1, August 04, 2014, 07:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

I've only ever seen "Croker" written, but I've never heard it spoken. I've only ever heard Croke Park abbreviated to "Croke."

That is all.

The Subbie

Don Johnson

Hardy

I dislike "Croker" (which I have heard spoken - by Dubliners) because it's Dublinese and should therefore be stamped out. I wonder they don't apply their usual, hilarious formula for nicknaming landmarks and call it "The Farm In The <something that nearly rhymes with 'farm'>" or the like.

I've never seen Croke Park abbreviated to "Croke".

armaghniac

Quote from: Hardy on August 04, 2014, 12:41:11 PM

Americans, another group whose abuse of the English language needs to be eradicated, often do this kind of thing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

I'm with you on this Hardy.Give the Catholic Bishop full respect, don't abbreviate!

The Raven

I hate the use of "Croker" anyone caught using it should be banned for life

T Fearon

Quite right,you never hear  the ground in Belfast being referred to as Roger,though Newry has Esler,but imagine if you blasphemed by saying you're going to Marky's or Hyder to see Sligo and Roscommon.

Ball Hopper

In Killarney, Fitzgerald Stadium is simply known as "The Park".

ONeill

It's a city thing. Mucker. Balls on the Falls. Even Hardstation is called Harder. Well that's what his mates call.him. Around the back of Rogerer.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T Fearon

Isn't Dalymount Park referred to as Dalyer by the Dubs?

theskull1

Quote from: ONeill on August 05, 2014, 06:58:18 AM
It's a city thing. Mucker. Balls on the Falls. Even Hardstation is called Harder. Well that's what his mates call.him. Around the back of Rogerer.
No
HS is hardzo where he comes from
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on August 04, 2014, 12:41:11 PM
I dislike "Croker" (which I have heard spoken - by Dubliners) because it's Dublinese and should therefore be stamped out. I wonder they don't apply their usual, hilarious formula for nicknaming landmarks and call it "The Farm In The <something that nearly rhymes with 'farm'>" or the like.

The use of the word 'Croker' has long escaped the pale. It's use is widespread throughout the land, by ordinary folk of all ages, media outlets, gaa club /county websites. No longer is it solely associated with skanger, illiterate lowlifes. The usage is common enough to remove the stigma around it's usage. It's been  cleansed of that stain.
I did a search of my memory and can't be sure that I haven't used the word myself.

Farrandeelin

I don't like it either Hardy...nor do I like 'Elverys' MacHale or other sponsorsed grounds.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 05, 2014, 05:23:53 PM
I don't like it either Hardy...nor do I like 'Elverys' MacHale or other sponsorsed grounds.

You're not alone in not liking McHale Park.