So...

Started by Eamonnca1, May 15, 2014, 08:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

"So" at the start of a sentence is starting to piss people off.

My question is, why do free staters end so many sentences with "so"? What does it mean when they do this?

AZOffaly

I've only heard it in terms of 'We'll leave it at that so', or 'That's the way it is so'. To me it's like a summary. We'll leave it at that because there's no point talking any more. That's the way it is based on all we've said.

Nally Stand

Doesn't bother me. But those who start every sentence with either "listen" or "lookit", should be shot with a ball of their own sh*te.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

deiseach

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 15, 2014, 08:22:58 AM
"So" at the start of a sentence is starting to piss people off.

My question is, why do free staters end so many sentences with "so"? What does it mean when they do this?

Colloquialism

Shamrock Shore

Quotefree staters

Eff off.............................you so and so!  ::)

Brick Tamlin

yerra
lookit
so it is
boy
sur
hi
right so
grand so
listen

southdown

AZOffaly

A couple of Limerick City ones.

DyaknowwhadImean?

C'mreIwantcha

ziggysego

At the start of every conversation, I'm greeted with - "Ah f**k, not you Ziggy!"

Is that colloquialism?
Testing Accessibility

Hardy

Quote from: ziggysego on May 15, 2014, 12:29:14 PM
At the start of every conversation, I'm greeted with - "Ah f**k, not you Ziggy!"

Is that colloquialism?

Only if you're a colloquial.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on May 15, 2014, 11:33:34 AM
"C'mere......."
>:(
Especially when talking on the phone!!!
McCooey's are the prime offenders, so have a word.

dferg

People starting sentences with "I genuinely think" or "In my honest opinion" slightly annoy me.

As opposed to what?  your dishonest opinion?

mouview

Milltown Row2

"Here be's me" is the worst McCooey/Frankie/chip eater saying I have ever heard followed closely by "here's me whaaaaaaaaa""
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

Sounds a bit like that thing they do in the north of England then.  Although they're more interested in the person they're talking about than the thing he's doing:

"I live in Manchester, me."

"You must be loaded, you."

"He's bloody fast, him."