The Good American in Haiti

Started by magickingdom, January 25, 2010, 07:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

tyrones own, give her dixie has been out in these places and therefore has a better insight into what is going on in these places than you and I could ever know.
Testing Accessibility

Tyrones own

Quote from: ziggysego on January 27, 2010, 01:54:10 AM
tyrones own, give her dixie has been out in these places and therefore has a better insight into what is going on in these places than you and I could ever know.
Zig.. is that not a pretty presumptuous statement you made there, based solely on what you've read?
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

AFS

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 27, 2010, 01:47:18 AM
Quote from: AFS on January 27, 2010, 01:42:22 AM
TO, constant attempts at belittlement and ridicule of others do little for your arguments. You might find more allies around here if your posts weren't always drenched with smarm and condescension.
Cheers AFS, I'll take that on board however I'm really not all that insecure that I need to feel accepted
on an internet discussion board  :)

Why make hundreds of posts on these issues if you don't care about how they're received? Isn't the goal of a discussion or argument to win your opponents over to your way of thinking?

Tyrones own

Quote from: AFS on January 27, 2010, 02:37:55 AM
Quote from: Tyrones own on January 27, 2010, 01:47:18 AM
Quote from: AFS on January 27, 2010, 01:42:22 AM
TO, constant attempts at belittlement and ridicule of others do little for your arguments. You might find more allies around here if your posts weren't always drenched with smarm and condescension.
Cheers AFS, I'll take that on board however I'm really not all that insecure that I need to feel accepted
on an internet discussion board  :)

Why make hundreds of posts on these issues if you don't care about how they're received? Isn't the goal of a discussion or argument to win your opponents over to your way of thinking?

No not really because I learned a long time ago that " A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still "
There is no winning and losing here, I'm well aware of that...I just refuse to let blatant hatred, double standards
and Hypocrisy go unchallenged........the way I see it, we throw out views and opinions knowing full well the other
will never change  their mind but there are others reading in who can draw their own conclusions to what's said
and who knows maybe learn something along the way that's not being reported in the media..... and of course it
keeps me on my toes ;)
  - Walter Lippmann

fearbrags

Zig.. is that not a pretty presumptuous statement you made there, based solely on what you've read

Sure  fill  us  in  so  on  where  you  have  being ?

Or  is  all your posts  based  on  Rush  , Glen and Bill

DrinkingHarp

First I would like to state that the US has been and will always look out for it's best interests world wide just like any other nation would do.

Is the US a saint around the world - NO.
Is every other country a saint - NO.

Each nation looks into situations be it war, unrest, natural disaster and even trade relations/economics to further its own agenda.

BUT THE TOPIC AT HAND IS THE U.S. AID TO HAITI.

The US population (citizens) were averaging 100,000 per hour in red cross donations for Haiti. Numerous pro sports leagues donated money. There was a 3 or 4 hour telethon on the TV for aid to benefit Haiti.

The people of America are generous when it comes to tragic events that affect people across the world.

The US government has pledged 100 million in Aid for Haiti. The US has brought in military units into a country that has been left in rubble. Now are all military units just gun toting soldiers? No. The navy has the seabees, a division of the US Navy that has bulldozers, trucks and construction trained military members. The US Army has the Army Corp.of engineers.
There are houses and buildings blocking roads, streets buckled up, bridges destroyed and the ONLY Air Control Tower collapsed as well.

Now the US military had to repair the damaged runway at the airport ( the capital has only 1 runway), plan and coordinate incoming flights into Haiti. There are now 120 flights a day landing. On these flights were aid from countries from around the world besides the US. Every country wants to take the lead in assisting and aiding the Haitians. But realistically the US is closer to Haiti (geographically) then most of the other countries offering assistance, so they were the 1st responders for the most part. Rescue teams were dispatched from Los Angeles and Virgina which are local government (city).

What about the soldiers who are sporting weapons?  Well the Haitian government is decimated, their police department and the prison collapsed with criminals running free. Are the soldiers shooting and killing Haitians - NO. Can they be used as a temporary law enforcement? - sure. The US is part of the UN contingent aiding the people of Haiti. If the UN sees the need for the US military to assist thats what they are there for.

The US Navy has sent the USS Carl Vinson which is equipped with dozens of helicopters which will assist in moving supplies through the air when roads are inaccessible by ground. The hospital ship Comfort which is a floating hospital with a 1000 bed capacity and 12 operating rooms.

The US Airforce airdrop element is being used to drop medical supplies, food and water.

I could go on and on about the US government and its citizens assisting the people of Haiti but some would balk at the efforts because of self imposed bias - to each their own.

I haven't read one comment pro or con on the Canadian Government and its military in Haiti.

What would be your view if the US decided to not help the Haitians?  Why can the US do no good in some peoples eyes?

GHD, I can understand your point of view towards the US in light of your work with the people of Gaza, but can you see evil in what they are doing in Haiti?

I still can't fathom I am taking T.O.'s side of view on the US bashing with me being a liberal and him a Republican loving SOB (in jest).

Maybe when this horrible situation is over a journalist can ask a Haitian if the US really helped or would they have preferred the US staying away all together.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

stew

Quote from: give her dixie on January 26, 2010, 09:24:26 PM
It's amazing that in my reply to the thread title, I get attacked for my user name, for supporting the Taliban, Hamas, for watching the "wrong" News station, for disliking the US, etc, etc. Have these same people read my post? Have they any argument with what I said? Why the personal attacks?

Let me point out this much, I have nothing against the US population, just the corrupt Government that sends troops into Haiti before life saving aid. I attack them for sending $7million a day into Israel in order to ethnically cleanse Palestinians, including the slaughter of innocent children. I witnessed their handy work in Gaza where US built F16's dropped bombs 1 km from the Sports Club I was in, killing people in the process. I seen the construction of the 30 metre underground wall they are building along the Egyptian border to cut off the supply of food into Gaza. A wall they couldn't build in New Orleans. I was attacked by Egyptian forces who are paid for by the US Govt. to the tune of nearly $2billion per year. I seen their work in Chile, Bolivia, Argentina, etc, etc, where they propped up one ruthless dictator after another. Plus, last March, I surveyed the damage that their bombs and bullets did in pulverising Gaza, and killing 1,400 people in 3 weeks.

These are just some of the examples of what I have personally witnessed, and that is before I elaborate on Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc, etc.

So, if by critising US foreign policy for their total disregard for human rights and humanity happens to piss off a few people on this board, well, I couldn't care less.

The problem with you is not that you criticise the US, the problem is that you just knock them all the time and give them credit for nothing. The people of haiti would be clean fcuked if it wasnt for the like of the yanks and the Lybians etc, the yanks are doing what they can to help the people of Haiti as well they should, given their history there. I give Obama credit for the way he has responded to this crisis, further I am disgusted by the like of that cnut Pat Robertson and that fat bastid Rush limbaugh who dont want America to send aid to haiti.

Dixie, I have less than no respect for your stance on this issue because you are incapable of seeing anything positive in anything the yanks do. I also know you dont give a shite about my opinion or anyone elses, fair enough but you keep up the good work, sort the Israelis out and never forget that the yanks are propping them up and have done since the state was born.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

muppet

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on January 27, 2010, 09:16:25 AM
First I would like to state that the US has been and will always look out for it's best interests world wide just like any other nation would do.

Is the US a saint around the world - NO.
Is every other country a saint - NO.

Each nation looks into situations be it war, unrest, natural disaster and even trade relations/economics to further its own agenda.

BUT THE TOPIC AT HAND IS THE U.S. AID TO HAITI.

The US population (citizens) were averaging 100,000 per hour in red cross donations for Haiti. Numerous pro sports leagues donated money. There was a 3 or 4 hour telethon on the TV for aid to benefit Haiti.

The people of America are generous when it comes to tragic events that affect people across the world.

The US government has pledged 100 million in Aid for Haiti. The US has brought in military units into a country that has been left in rubble. Now are all military units just gun toting soldiers? No. The navy has the seabees, a division of the US Navy that has bulldozers, trucks and construction trained military members. The US Army has the Army Corp.of engineers.
There are houses and buildings blocking roads, streets buckled up, bridges destroyed and the ONLY Air Control Tower collapsed as well.

Now the US military had to repair the damaged runway at the airport ( the capital has only 1 runway), plan and coordinate incoming flights into Haiti. There are now 120 flights a day landing. On these flights were aid from countries from around the world besides the US. Every country wants to take the lead in assisting and aiding the Haitians. But realistically the US is closer to Haiti (geographically) then most of the other countries offering assistance, so they were the 1st responders for the most part. Rescue teams were dispatched from Los Angeles and Virgina which are local government (city).

What about the soldiers who are sporting weapons?  Well the Haitian government is decimated, their police department and the prison collapsed with criminals running free. Are the soldiers shooting and killing Haitians - NO. Can they be used as a temporary law enforcement? - sure. The US is part of the UN contingent aiding the people of Haiti. If the UN sees the need for the US military to assist thats what they are there for.

The US Navy has sent the USS Carl Vinson which is equipped with dozens of helicopters which will assist in moving supplies through the air when roads are inaccessible by ground. The hospital ship Comfort which is a floating hospital with a 1000 bed capacity and 12 operating rooms.

The US Airforce airdrop element is being used to drop medical supplies, food and water.

I could go on and on about the US government and its citizens assisting the people of Haiti but some would balk at the efforts because of self imposed bias - to each their own.

I haven't read one comment pro or con on the Canadian Government and its military in Haiti.

What would be your view if the US decided to not help the Haitians?  Why can the US do no good in some peoples eyes?

GHD, I can understand your point of view towards the US in light of your work with the people of Gaza, but can you see evil in what they are doing in Haiti?

I still can't fathom I am taking T.O.'s side of view on the US bashing with me being a liberal and him a Republican loving SOB (in jest).

Maybe when this horrible situation is over a journalist can ask a Haitian if the US really helped or would they have preferred the US staying away all together.

I published figures here a while ago in response to stats showing that while the US government contributes relatively little in foreign aid, the average US citizen voluntarily contributes more than almost any other country.

When people are critical of the States they usually mean the Government and not the population as a whole. Part of the problem is that the average US citizen has little idea of what is going on in places such as Gaza and that is largely down to their very un-liberal media, despite what some here will tell you.

After 911 an image of Palestinians burning a US flag was broadcast all over the world. That image had a huge impact in the US. It looked as if the Palestinians were celebrating in the streets at the Twin Towers attacks by burning US flags. The problem was that those images were archives and had nothing to do with 911. But the damage was done.

Propaganda. Very effective propaganda.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

Quotelargely down to their very un-liberal media, despite what some here will tell you.
:D ye know the auld saying that if ye tell yourself something for long enough you'll actually start to believe it.... certainly seems to work for you!
QuoteAfter 911 an image of Palestinians burning a US flag was broadcast all over the world. That image had a huge impact in the US. It looked as if the Palestinians were celebrating in the streets at the Twin Towers attacks by burning US flags. The problem was that those images were archives and had nothing to do with 911. But the damage was done.
Pray tell your not trying to imply that the Palestinians don't dislike us after all...sure you've only to listen to Dixie to get the grass roots feelings they have for us there...propaganda is right
except in this case you're not very effective ::)
  - Walter Lippmann

magickingdom

first of all as someone born in the bronx and whose dad served in the US army for years i have very little time for US policy on israel, the israelies should be told to fock off and live or die with the palestinians. thats their problem and one just about every american i know has little or no interest in.

that however will be the only time i criticise america, everthing else the US does around the world is done for the greater good, sometimes it works sometimes not but the motivation is always for the greater good. if one country has to be a world policeman then thank God its the US, when the brits were a world power they plundered the place, if the Chinese got half a chance they'd do the same. . guys like dixie see nothing wrong in china, cuba, venezuela and other left wing piss pots and nothing right in the US

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 27, 2010, 06:08:58 PM
Quotelargely down to their very un-liberal media, despite what some here will tell you.
:D ye know the auld saying that if ye tell yourself something for long enough you'll actually start to believe it.... certainly seems to work for you!
QuoteAfter 911 an image of Palestinians burning a US flag was broadcast all over the world. That image had a huge impact in the US. It looked as if the Palestinians were celebrating in the streets at the Twin Towers attacks by burning US flags. The problem was that those images were archives and had nothing to do with 911. But the damage was done.
Pray tell your not trying to imply that the Palestinians don't dislike us after all...sure you've only to listen to Dixie to get the grass roots feelings they have for us there...propaganda is right
except in this case you're not very effective ::)

No I'm not..........the point is that the US media, either carelessly or more likely deliberately,  completely misrepresented the situation......but that wouldn't bother you. You seem to be pretty good at that yourself.

MWWSI 2017

give her dixie

Magic Kingdom, when you say that:

"everthing else the US does around the world is done for the greater good, sometimes it works sometimes not but the motivation is always for the greater good. if one country has to be a world policeman then thank God its the US,

Are you saying that the killing of over 1million people in Iraq and Afghanistan is for the greater good? The dropping of the A bomb in Japan, killing over 300,000 and leaving generations deformed was for the greater good? Was the dropping of Nepalm and slaughter of hundreds of thousands in Vietnam for the greater good?
Was the support of vicious dictators in Latin and South America who murdered hundreds of thousands also for the greater good? Has the death of over 5,000 US troops in Iraq been for the greater good? Sure if you think these acts are for the greater good, then why have you not followed in your fathers footsteps and fought for the greater good? I'm sure sitting on your ass is for the greater good.

I could go on and on about horrific events that have been carried out by the US, but sure in your eyes, they were for the greater good. What is your defination of the "Greater Good"? Slaughter innocent people? You are seriously deluded, and it's attitudes like yours that have the world in the mess it is in today.

Just because I am critical of US foreign policy doesn't make me a supporter of China, Cuba, Venezuela. That is the same line trotted out by Zionists whenever they call anyone jewish who is critical of Israel as a "Self Hating Jew".

Tyrones Own, the Palestinians don't need propaganda to dislike the US. On a daily basis they see their Apache helicopters, F16's, tanks, guns, Caterpillar dozers, murder, maim, and destroy their lives and homes.
But, sure maybe that is for the greater good eh?

Plus, they see the illegal Apartheid wall been built with Cement supplied by none other than the Irish company Cement Roadstone Holdings. (CRH)

But back to the title of the thread. I am critical of the US taking over the airport and using it to land thousands of troops, and at the same time turn away doctors, search and rescue teams, aid, medicine, etc, etc. What the media didn't show us was the thousands of aid workers from Cuba, Venezuela, Turkey, Pakistain, etc, etc enter Haiti through the Dominican Repbulic? Did they report that Chavez also sent in $100 million and that he dropped any debt that Haiti owed them? No, and i'm sure you never got to read that Chavez supplies free oil to the poor and homeless in your good ole USofA. No other US company were willing to do it.

If and when the US do some good work and the people in Haiti are thankful for that, I will be the 1st on here to praise them for it. However, right now, they have been more of a hinderance than a solution. It is like watching a repeat of New Orleans all over again.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

magickingdom

Quote from: give her dixie on January 27, 2010, 08:59:27 PM

"everthing else the US does around the world is done for the greater good, sometimes it works sometimes not but the motivation is always for the greater good. if one country has to be a world policeman then thank God its the US,

Are you saying that the killing of over 1million people in Iraq and Afghanistan is for the greater good? The dropping of the A bomb in Japan, killing over 300,000 and leaving generations deformed was for the greater good? Was the dropping of Nepalm and slaughter of hundreds of thousands in Vietnam for the greater good?
Was the support of vicious dictators in Latin and South America who murdered hundreds of thousands also for the greater good? Has the death of over 5,000 US troops in Iraq been for the greater good? Sure if you think these acts are for the greater good, then why have you not followed in your fathers footsteps and fought for the greater good? I'm sure sitting on your ass is for the greater good.

the A bomb saved lives in my opinion by ending the war in the pacific. i also clearly stated that while the US might mess up the motivation was always for the right reason. no doubt youd still be quite happy if Saddam Hussein was still terrorising and threatening Iraq's neighbours but i'm much happier the despot is gone

magickingdom

But back to the title of the thread. I am critical of the US taking over the airport and using it to land thousands of troops, and at the same time turn away doctors, search and rescue teams, aid, medicine, etc, etc. What the media didn't show us was the thousands of aid workers from Cuba, Venezuela, Turkey, Pakistain, etc, etc enter Haiti through the Dominican Repbulic? Did they report that Chavez also sent in $100 million and that he dropped any debt that Haiti owed them? No, and i'm sure you never got to read that Chavez supplies free oil to the poor and homeless in your good ole USofA. No other US company were willing to do it.

bullshit, keep reading that crap

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: magickingdom on January 27, 2010, 09:32:01 PM

the A bomb saved lives in my opinion by ending the war in the pacific. i also clearly stated that while the US might mess up the motivation was always for the right reason. no doubt youd still be quite happy if Saddam Hussein was still terrorising and threatening Iraq's neighbours but i'm much happier the despot is gone

Nobody seemed to mind when that neighbour was Iran.