Quote from: seafoid on March 26, 2023, 04:15:05 PM
Quote from: Schkite on March 26, 2023, 03:51:45 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 26, 2023, 03:33:21 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 26, 2023, 03:29:29 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 26, 2023, 03:21:24 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 26, 2023, 03:19:29 PM
All eyes now to castlebar
Monaghan 2 up and Armagh losing
That makes yet  another Seafold wrong call against Monaghan. You're so hopeless Seafold that you're having your ass whipped by a stopped clock :D
Monaghan will be even worse next year with Dublin and Derry joining the party.

Jaysus Christ, did a Monaghan lass break your heart in your younger days? You always seem to take such a negative slant on Monaghan and write them off before every competition
I think there is something wrong with Monaghan, same as the poster above. The return on talent has been poor. Monaghan were shite against Galway this year even though we were the ones relegated in 2021. We got to an all Ireland final straight outta Division 2 last year. The best Monaghan did in the last 10 years was a semi.

You're not living in the real world pal with these points. The "return on talent" for a county the size of Monaghan has been very good tbh. Obviously I'd like to win everything but realistically that's a monumental task for the likes of us, it makes no sense to compare is to the larger counties when you boil it down to numbers and resources. We're very much a team in transition which has both a handful players nearing the end and a rake of young lads with little experience - comparing them to the present Galway side is nonsense tbh given that context.

Everyone wrote us off at the start of the league (like the past several years), and they'll do so again next spring. Makes no odds to us, the goal was to blood a number of the younger players against the top teams and we achieved that. It's not all about the here and now like you're acting, but it's nice to be there again next year too.
I think size is a cop out , honestly. Losing to a mediocre Tyrone in that semi final was a sign of a psychological  problem.  Offaly is also small and they won 3 all Irelands.
Monaghan have a decent team about once a generation and something has to change if the next team is going to go further than a semi final.
Would you ever go away to fck, ;D    you're the one who condescendingly kept spouting on about Monaghan punching above their weight.
You're a sham, Seafold.
I'm not from Tuam. Monaghan is one of the few serious counties who haven't won an all Ireland. Usually there is a psychological reason where there is a glass ceiling.

https://youtu.be/33Mr5JV49tg

But do carry on.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 26, 2023, 11:07:46 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 26, 2023, 05:58:01 PM
I think size  is a cop out , honestly.Losing to a mediocre Tyrone in that semi final was a sign of a psychological  problem.  Offaly is also small and they won 3 all Irelands.
Monaghan have a decent team about once a generation and something has to change if the next team is going to go further than a semi final.

Monaghan has the same population as Carlow. Carlow finished 6th in Division 4. Do you think size is a cop out for Carlow also?

Carlow is a smaller version of Kildare.

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 26, 2023, 11:22:35 PM
Monaghan last year and the year before found ways to beat both Galway,Dublin to avoid the drop and probably wouldn't have matter who they played today as they'd find a way to win as they really come alive in round 7.

While Monaghan have admirable spirit and more than a few good players they'd have got it tough away against Mayo, if Mayo had needed the win as much as Monaghan.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

straightred

Quote from: Manning18 on March 26, 2023, 11:20:59 PM
Quote from: Schkite on March 26, 2023, 05:47:04 PM
That makes yet  another Seafold wrong call against Monaghan. You're so hopeless Seafold that you're having your ass whipped by a stopped clock :D

Jaysus Christ, did a Monaghan lass break your heart in your younger days? You always seem to take such a negative slant on Monaghan and write them off before every competition
I think there is something wrong with Monaghan, same as the poster above. The return on talent has been poor. Monaghan were shite against Galway this year even though we were the ones relegated in 2021. We got to an all Ireland final straight outta Division 2 last year. The best Monaghan did in the last 10 years was a semi.

You're not living in the real world pal with these points. The "return on talent" for a county the size of Monaghan has been very good tbh. Obviously I'd like to win everything but realistically that's a monumental task for the likes of us, it makes no sense to compare is to the larger counties when you boil it down to numbers and resources. We're very much a team in transition which has both a handful players nearing the end and a rake of young lads with little experience - comparing them to the present Galway side is nonsense tbh given that context.

Everyone wrote us off at the start of the league (like the past several years), and they'll do so again next spring. Makes no odds to us, the goal was to blood a number of the younger players against the top teams and we achieved that. It's not all about the here and now like you're acting, but it's nice to be there again next year too.
I think size is a cop out , honestly. Losing to a mediocre Tyrone in that semi final was a sign of a psychological  problem.  Offaly is also small and they won 3 all Irelands.

Monaghan have been very good for more than a generation now. And size is absolutely a huge factor. No other 'small' county has got anywhere near their level for a long time. I think they're remarkable to be honest. You're talking nonsense
I have family there and go to the odd club game. They live and breathe GAA. At the moment they are the benchmark for counties that claim they can't compete with the big boys. They won't have enough to win an AI but 10 consecutive years in D1 is a remarkable achievement for such a small county. Meath and Kildare come to mind. With their populations they really should be doing better. Monaghan shouldn't be in d1 but they are and they are there on merit.

JoG2

Quote from: seafoid on March 26, 2023, 11:23:31 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 26, 2023, 11:11:39 PM

Would you ever go away to fck, ;D    you're the one who condescendingly kept spouting on about Monaghan punching above their weight.
You're a sham, Seafold.
I'm not from Tuam. Monaghan is one of the few serious counties who haven't won an all Ireland. Usually there is a psychological reason where there is a glass ceiling.

But do carry on.

The fact that Monaghan are seen as 'serious contenders' is some going.

thewobbler

Quote from: armaghniac on March 26, 2023, 11:36:00 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 26, 2023, 11:07:46 PM
I think size  is a cop out , honestly.Losing to a mediocre Tyrone in that semi final was a sign of a psychological  problem.  Offaly is also small and they won 3 all Irelands.

Monaghan has the same population as Carlow. Carlow finished 6th in Division 4. Do you think size is a cop out for Carlow also?

Carlow is a smaller version of Kildare.

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 26, 2023, 11:22:35 PM
Monaghan last year and the year before found ways to beat both Galway,Dublin to avoid the drop and probably wouldn't have matter who they played today as they'd find a way to win as they really come alive in round 7.

While Monaghan have admirable spirit and more than a few good players they'd have got it tough away against Mayo, if Mayo had needed the win as much as Monaghan.

Course they would have.

But if your survival on the final day depends on other results, then that's on you and you alone.

——

Forker's tackle was one of those things that happens. Looks bad in replays but if you're playing a match and it happens, you shrug it off. The defender has no way of knowing if the attacker is going to go through him, around him or beneath him, so stands his ground. Nobody hurt. Move on.

WhoDat

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 26, 2023, 05:00:12 PM
Quote from: WhoDat on March 26, 2023, 04:42:24 PM
Quote from: Gael80 on March 26, 2023, 04:36:03 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 26, 2023, 04:33:40 PM
Quote from: Gael80 on March 26, 2023, 04:25:48 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 26, 2023, 04:17:18 PM
Not a great result for Mayo today despite the Farney heroics.

Joe Brolly was just saying in the paper today that Mayo were now the real deal and I believed him upto 2pm.

Mayo effectively turned it into a challenge match. In saying that despite a good league when the likes of Kerry, Dublin, Galway to name three get up to speed Mayo won't be near the All Ireland in my opinion. Mayo have looked a fair bit ahead in conditioning, maybe only matched by Derry.

Kerry, Dublin and Galway don't have to play a Division One team (who retained their Division one status) in a Championship match in 2 weeks time.

Good point and it's probably the reason Mayo are a bit ahead. However my point was it's all about the All Ireland for Mayo and I don't think they'll be near it when the other contenders catch up by June, early July.

ah i think they will be. kerry don't look right to me and are an injury or two away from crisis, dublin lacking an identity and calling on old stalwarts reeks of desperation from dessie. don't see either getting over the line.

galway are going very well and in my opinion will win the championship. they are close to being the finished article. mayo could go close as i think a few of their players will prefer the drier ground come summer.

tyrone are there too. could take a scalp but don't see them finishing the job.

They (Mayo) are going in the right direction. There will always be a doubt, because they are Mayo. Just like Kerry always get mentioned in the business end because they are Kerry. Not sure about Galway. Next week will tell a small tale for both counties. Galway holding the advantage as they have a Plethora of weeks off after and can leave it all out on the Pitch!

Can't fault McStay so far. He has done rather well. Also his his PR skills are excellent (he's been at that stuff a long time). He knows the right things to say.

well for the best part of 10 years, mayo have been involved in the business end of championship. i believe they'll be there again this year. their squad looks on the young side for the most part so might still be a bit too green to get over the line, but they'll be there or thereabouts in my view.

kerry could get taken out early, i really could see them getting caught like that early on.

The Subbie

Quote from: samuel maguire on March 24, 2023, 03:37:59 PM
Monaghan are brutal. Add in the suspension of 2 players and McManus playing little to no football this last while. Armagh will be fine

Oooooo  :o  :o  :o  ;D ;D ;D

tonto1888

Quote from: David McKeown on March 26, 2023, 05:28:43 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 26, 2023, 05:06:41 PM
Just watching the Armagh game there, that's a very bad hit by the Armagh fullback, straight frontal shoulder at head high. Amazed it wasn't red, maybe more on the fact the impact swung Kennedy head bck rather than the shoulder.

Haven't seen it back but looked a good hit in real time. Certainly no one seemed to overly complain amongst the players and in fact players seemed to take up positions thinking a hop had been awarded. It was the third similar hit in the game. One resulted in a booking, one in a hop ball and one in play on. Very inconsistent performance from the ref today.

All that said Tyrone deserved the win. When Armagh finally got ahead they immediately retreated. No killer instinct, poor tactically. Something needs to improve. Alas whilst I've lost faith in Geezer I imagine he will get another few seasons yet. Interesting to note Sligo and Wicklow promoted (I think), both under positive minded Armagh Managers.....

Looked slightly mistimed. No malice in it but I'd have had no complaints if he had been red carded

naka

Thought Tyrone were the better side yesterday and found their scores easier, they definitely were up for it which is only right and fair and Armagh would have done the same if roles were reversed .
Genuinely some super long range scores  by Tyrone over the blanket which haven't been mentioned .
Overall an awful campaign for Armagh but it is what it is , injuries didn't help but tactics were awful up til yesterday .
Get some players back regroup and have a rattle at ulster.
Let's discuss where Armagh is at year end .

omagh_gael

Very enjoyable game yesterday, very little sideways shite and some excellent passages of score for score football. Fair play to the Armagh fans, they travelled in serious numbers. Hasn't been a crowd like that in Healy Park for a long time.

trailer

Quote from: trailer on January 19, 2023, 10:37:34 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 18, 2023, 09:49:28 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 18, 2023, 06:31:00 PM
Off the ball power fuball ranking

10 Monaghan
9 Ros
8  Donegal
7 Tyrone
6  Derry
5 Mayo
4 Armagh
3. Galway
2. Dubs
1. Kerry

https://youtu.be/e9Pgx0CyxJo&t=2700s
Think the AI is as wide open as ever. Speaking from an Armagh perspective, I think we give any team on that list a game and could beat any of them on our day but are equally capable of losing to any of them. Footballs a funny game.

Armagh are my dark horses..... for relegation

Called it.
Far to negative. Didn't try to win games, instead they played so they wouldn't lose and then didn't have the star quality to win the game when in the melting pot. Div 2 is probably their level. Forker and Campbell probably their two best players yesterday and that's a problem if Rain O'Neill isn't available.
Unless Armagh put a big championship together I think it could spell the end of McGeeney. Armagh fans are not happy. That in itself is weird given 6k or 7k went to Kerry game thinking they would win. 

Maroon Manc

Thought there was some pace to the opening 20 minutes of Galway and Kerry, a great watch during that period. Galway started with only 7 players who started in the All Ireland final so Joyce has too be delighted with the way the league has gone and has found a good few additions to the defence. I think the game showed that Hernon still has a bit to go in the conditioning stakes which isn't surprising given his age and how long he's been out injured. Maher had a great opening half, didn't think he had that in his locker. Sean Fitzgerald too has has had a good couple of weeks.

Still got to work on game management, did well during the last few minutes of the game but had a 5 point lead in the last minute of the first half and should have run down the clock and only went in with a 3 point lead.

Would need to see the stats but looked like Power did better on kickouts but still lost a good few that went long, didn't see league Sunday but hope they showed Tierney's one handed catch?

Great to get to a final and get another game at this level which is important for the likes of Comer returning from injury and all those young lads who didn't see any game time in Croker last summer in Maher, McGrath, Fitzgerald, Hernon, O'Flaherty, Culhane and possibly Eoghan Kelly.

seafoid

Quote from: JoG2 on March 26, 2023, 11:44:09 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 26, 2023, 11:23:31 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 26, 2023, 11:11:39 PM

You're a sham, Seafold.

But do carry on.

The fact that Monaghan are seen as 'serious contenders' is some going.
why? They have been in Division 1 for several years . They win Ulster titles every so often. They are in a different class to Antrim and Fermanagh.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rudi

Well done to Davy, coaches & team for getting 4 wins in division 1, finishing in 3rd place & having 2nd best scoring difference in the division. Thats some going for a team who were highly fancied to get relegated. Mayo can be very pleased with how their league went. A depleted Galway will be happy. Tyrone will also be very pleased with how they responded to a poor start. Kerry happy to survive without breaking sweat. Monaghan despite getting hammered in 2 games, doing just enough to stay up will be pleased. Armagh look a really good side, when they play. I can't see them getting anywhere with current manager. Donegal are a mess & completely ununified as a group.

Sleater

I remember an interview with Jim McGuiness on Tomas O'Se's podcast and he talked about when when he first took over and they asked the players to hand over their phones for a weekend away training session. He said Michael Murphy was immediately first up to do it. He was made captain shortly after. Not only was Murphy the best player and probably still would be Donegal's best player today, but he was the standard setter and the bar all other player's had to reach. Donegal are a total mess and appear to be lacking leadership from the playing group.

Monaghan - well that was another amazing escape. Delighted for them in what is a very tough job for Corey. Lee Keegan said their age profile is against them and he's right. A very tough job to transition them in next couple of years. Some brilliant talent coming through in Monaghan. The tough part will be finding that new leadership amongst the players similar to what Donegal are experiencing now. 6 of the squad are 32 are more (McManus, D and K Hughes, Duffy, Kelly, O'Connell) and are some of Monaghan's best ever. Hard to see all (maybe any) of them return next year. With Dublin and Derry also in Div 1 next year it will be even tougher.