Graham Linehan on Twitter / Trans debate

Started by bennydorano, May 08, 2020, 08:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

I feel like I'm missing something in this whole transgender argument thing. He's largely been ostracised by his friends and enemies, the main thrusts of his arguments seem fairly sensible to me?? ??? Cant say I've delved too deep into the various Twitter threads on it as the PCness of it would drive u mad. I wouldn't even know how to be PC in a discussion about it tbh.

Boycey

I used to follow him and quite enjoyed his take on life but the whole transgender thing seems to completely take over his existence and too be honest in the end I couldn't work out if he was in the right or not so I unfollowed him....

He's still at it obviously then.

screenexile

Quote from: bennydorano on May 08, 2020, 08:34:57 PM
I feel like I'm missing something in this whole transgender argument thing. He's largely been ostracised by his friends and enemies, the main thrusts of his arguments seem fairly sensible to me?? ??? Cant say I've delved too deep into the various Twitter threads on it as the PCness of it would drive u mad. I wouldn't even know how to be PC in a discussion about it tbh.

I used to follow him for a while and yeah I think his main argument is correct in that men who identify as women shouldn't be allowed to complete as equals in female sport as well as the issue with children taking hormone blockers. But when you have his profile and go down that particular rabbit hole things get very messy very quickly when you start to take on the LGBTQ movement! Also he's completely obsessed about it which doesn't help.

There's nutbars on both sides of the spectrum involved in it and things get messy very quickly I just decided to unfollow because you see an odd tweet you agree with and then the comments under end up being totally insane.

A lot of people are quite blasé about gender and say "anyone can be anything they want" and I used to be a bit like that myself but Linehan gets into the anecdotal nitty gritty of the issue where there's the sporting issue and then men using it to take advantage of women's safe spaces/bathrooms and woke parents getting their children hormone blockers because they believe they don't like their gender so it can get very messy.

I think over the next few years this will become a bigger issue as society seems to be moving that way and anecdotal will become more mainstream and there will have to some kind of policy on it. It's a can of worms though if you want to look into Linehans past comments on twitter and the replies!

screenexile

Quote from: Boycey on May 08, 2020, 08:54:04 PM
I used to follow him and quite enjoyed his take on life but the whole transgender thing seems to completely take over his existence and too be honest in the end I couldn't work out if he was in the right or not so I unfollowed him....

He's still at it obviously then.

Don't read mine it's too long Boycey covers it well with a lot less waffle!!

quit yo jibbajabba

Theres a rumour all them Tyronies on the Joe Brolly thread are trannies Screen

#justsayin

Ps are we allowed to say trannnies?!

Orior

I still follow Graham on Twitter, for amusement from the angry mob thinking that the world should revolve around their sexual preference.

Sad to say that there is a whole spectrum between blokey blokes and girlie girls.

Us older folk (of a certain vintage) preferred it when life was simpler, not like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?edufilter=NULL&v=Xw5_yAUMAvg
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

sid waddell

Linehan is a moron.

A quick look at his appearance on Newsnight a while back where he compared doctors that treated young trangender people to Nazis would have told anybody that.

It's quite mental that somebody would be so obsessed with stopping other people living their lives they way they want to, and yet consider themselves to be the real victim. Sums up right-wing discourse in general.

five points

Quote from: sid waddell on May 08, 2020, 10:34:04 PM
Linehan is a moron.

A quick look at his appearance on Newsnight a while back where he compared doctors that treated young trangender people to Nazis would have told anybody that.

It's quite mental that somebody would be so obsessed with stopping other people living their lives they way they want to, and yet consider themselves to be the real victim. Sums up right-wing discourse in general.

Linehan isn't remotely right wing though, and never was.

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on May 08, 2020, 11:06:48 PM
Linehan is a moron.

Linehan isn't remotely right wing though, and never was.
Nearly every racist thinks they aren't a racist.

bennydorano

From what I can see (from limited browsing tbh) is 2 main points  he's railing against-
- Some Transgender women posing a danger to 'real' women
- Parents trying to interfere with the gender of their children by introducing chemicals to alter/suppress their hormones.

gallsman

This is horseshit. One of Linehan's main arguments is that women (biological females) should not be forced to share single sex spaces with anyone with a penis. This is not a right wing view and agreeing with it does not make anyone right wing.

Rejecting the suggestion that biological males can menstruate or conceive does not make anyone right wing.

Rejecting the suggestion that a female beautician should be obliged by law to wax a biological males's penis and scrotum does not make anyone right wing.

Nor does holding any of the above views make anyone transphobic.

sid waddell

Quote from: gallsman on May 09, 2020, 12:48:13 AM

This is horseshit. One of Linehan's main arguments is that women (biological females) should not be forced to share single sex spaces with anyone with a penis. This is not a right wing view and agreeing with it does not make anyone right wing.

Rejecting the suggestion that biological males can menstruate or conceive does not make anyone right wing.

Rejecting the suggestion that a female beautician should be obliged by law to wax a biological males's penis and scrotum does not make anyone right wing.

Linehan has literally compared trans activists to Nazis and received a police warning over his online treatment of trans activists.

The man is a moron.

seafoid

Where did the idea that you can self define as
a woman and expect everyone to accept it come from?
What is the point of trans and how long is it likely to last?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tonto1888

Quote from: gallsman on May 09, 2020, 12:48:13 AM

I am going to assume the third point does not just apply to pre op MTF trans women?

tonto1888

Quote from: bennydorano on May 08, 2020, 11:42:56 PM
From what I can see (from limited browsing tbh) is 2 main points  he's railing against-
- Some Transgender women posing a danger to 'real' women
- Parents trying to interfere with the gender of their children by introducing chemicals to alter/suppress their hormones.

Does he rail against men being a threat to women or does he limit it to some trans women?