The US policing crisis thread

Started by Eamonnca1, April 28, 2015, 07:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: J70 on January 28, 2023, 03:52:31 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 28, 2023, 10:04:13 AM
There needs to be a serious reform of policing

Why any police officer, black or white, thinks it's okay to assault people like what happened is beyond me?

Granted...some of them are operating in war zones with heavily armed criminals, but that's where body cams come into their own

As I've said here before, I do not envy the cops in what is a very difficult job, but surely someone among the five of them should have had the guts to call foul on what they were doing?

They weren't in a gun fight. The guy was a lanky weakling that one or two of them alone could probably have subdued. There was no way they were going to get away with this.

Or maybe the culture in their department is you DO get away with this?

I think your last sentence is the reality. Possibly for many many police departments in the US

WT4E

OMG - Just watched that video. Big cowards and as someone said earlier how did not even one of these guys not say this is not what should be happening.

Maybe it was the report i watched but there didn't seem to be any body cam footage of the sever beating just cctv from a pole. why would that be?

tonto1888

I read that along with the 5 officers sacked that one, a white officer, was placed on administrative leave. Is that true? Or internet nonsense

trailer

This is a consequence of far too many guns in circulation in the states. Violence is getting worse, not better and it's at real risk of spilling over into an ungovernable country in 10 or 20 years.

Look-Up!

Quote from: trailer on February 01, 2023, 02:39:36 PM
This is a consequence of far too many guns in circulation in the states. Violence is getting worse, not better and it's at real risk of spilling over into an ungovernable country in 10 or 20 years.
It has happened south of the border. There's an argument to be made that the iron river flow of guns from the States has ruined some Central American countries and added greatly to the immigration influx through Mexico. But same people who hate immigrants will still come out with the "over my dead body" mantra when it comes to gun control.

A great disconnect going on. Same way states like Illinois are held up as how gun control doesn't work but completely ignoring the fact that guns there are purchased in other states.

Eamonnca1

"Using surveillance video from the jail cell where Mr. Draper was confined, the film chillingly describes the prisoner's last grueling hours. Rather than receive the medical care he desperately needed to address a drug overdose, Mr. Draper was subjected to various heavy-handed restraint techniques, including Taser shocks that opened bloody wounds on his thighs."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/31/opinion/jerod-draper-jail-death-indiana.html

Viewer discretion advised. Includes scenes that can only be described as a man being tortured to death.