Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-68851378

Ukrainian refugees coming this way and we are sending kids to Ukraine for brain surgery.

thebigfella

Quote from: lurganblue on April 19, 2024, 11:01:35 AMhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-68851378

Ukrainian refugees coming this way and we are sending kids to Ukraine for brain surgery.

She wasn't sent though.

The mother is saying she didn't accept the decision of the health service that the surgery was too risky and decided to research 2nd opinions. The family raised the money and made the decision to travel themselves to the Ukraine.

tbrick18

Quote from: lurganblue on April 19, 2024, 11:01:35 AMhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-68851378

Fair play to the mother.
I hope it works out for the child. Does ask the question around the capability of NHS though.

imtommygunn

I had a pretty positive experience the other day when our wee boy had an incident but in general NHS isn't in good shape. I think if it's a kid you're much better place but the more you read about it the more concerning it really is.

NAG1

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 19, 2024, 03:04:10 PMI had a pretty positive experience the other day when our wee boy had an incident but in general NHS isn't in good shape. I think if it's a kid you're much better place but the more you read about it the more concerning it really is.

Basically they are running it into the ground to force people to go private. More and more people I know are already going down this route for anything.

imtommygunn

The thing is that private will just become that bottleneck too. It's almost the same resource pool in terms of doctors and there are limited hospitals too.

Tony Baloney

A few years ago you were waiting a couple of weeks to see a consultant privately, recently it's more like 6-8 weeks but still better than years. And yes lots of those same resources are also supporting NHS.

Last Man

The NHS was never envisaged to deal with the levels of chronic disease we currently see. T2D, Cardiovascular disease, various cancers all on the up. All the polititions can offer is we need more money for doctors and nurses. How about asking why are we all so sick?

Last Man

"The NHS is one of the biggest employers in the world, with some estimates putting it as high as the sixth biggest only behind the Indian Ministry of Defence, US Department of Defense, the People's Liberation Army of China, Walmart and Amazon."

Last Man

"The NHS is one of the biggest employers in the world, with some estimates putting it as high as the sixth biggest only behind the Indian Ministry of Defence, US Department of Defense, the People's Liberation Army of China, Walmart and Amazon."

imtommygunn

You are looking at the wrong problem here. It's not why are we all so sick.

It's why has whatever resourcing is going into it not being used well enough. Why has bureaucracy been allowed to cripple it. Why when you can't even staff important roles fully and people are leaving can you not even give a decent payrise given you don't even have a full quota of employees. I would bet a lot of the roles are middle management etc and the roles for people who do the real work are not being filled.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 19, 2024, 04:30:20 PMYou are looking at the wrong problem here. It's not why are we all so sick.

It's why has whatever resourcing is going into it not being used well enough. Why has bureaucracy been allowed to cripple it. Why when you can't even staff important roles fully and people are leaving can you not even give a decent payrise given you don't even have a full quota of employees. I would bet a lot of the roles are middle management etc and the roles for people who do the real work are not being filled.
As the father of a disabled child with complex needs I regularly see more NHS departments than I'd wish on anyone.

A&E is usually full to capacity but in the many outpatients appointments I attend in Dungannon, Lurgan, Downpatrick, Armagh and many more, they are usually overstaffed and feel like a ghost town rather than the warzones the Unions want you to believe. I have never seen as much wastage, not least the upkeep of these buildings, and form filling in my life and it wouldn't be tolerated in the private sector. I have no doubt there are many areas of understaffing but I can assure you there are many areas of overstaffing with all staff following archaic systems. I truly believe the NHS can't be repaired so at least partial privatisation is inevitable.

gallsman

tyrone08

The simple solution is to run the nhs as if it were a private hospital i.e run it efficiently.

Increasing funding for GPs to reduce the strain on a&e. Alot of people use the a&e because they cant get a gp appointment.

Bring in a surcharge for using a&e for non emergencies say a £50. A&Es should only be used for acutal emergencies i.e broken bones, life threatening emergencies etc.

Increase healthy eating and health awareness in schools from primary school up. Uk and Ireland eating habits are horrible compared to almost every eu country.

The above would sort most of the issues

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tyrone08 on April 19, 2024, 06:44:38 PMThe simple solution is to run the nhs as if it were a private hospital i.e run it efficiently.

Increasing funding for GPs to reduce the strain on a&e. Alot of people use the a&e because they cant get a gp appointment.

Bring in a surcharge for using a&e for non emergencies say a £50. A&Es should only be used for acutal emergencies i.e broken bones, life threatening emergencies etc.

Increase healthy eating and health awareness in schools from primary school up. Uk and Ireland eating habits are horrible compared to almost every eu country.

The above would sort most of the issues
People yap about management in the NHS as if doctors and nurses should be managing an annual budget of £180 billion and 1.5 million employees. It has to be managed as a business.