McCall quits as Ulster coach

Started by GaillimhIarthair, November 13, 2007, 11:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

Ulster Rugby has this morning confirmed that Mark McCall has resigned from his post as head coach, with immediate effect.

McCall, who was appointed to the head coaching role in the summer of 2004 has been under pressure following Ulster's recent run of poor form culminating in a 32-14 defeat to Gloucester in the opening round of the Heineken Cup at Ravenhill on Friday.

The 39-year-old officially tendered his resignation yesterday evening and Ulster Rugby Chief Executive Michael Reid held a press conference today at Ravenhill at which he formally announced the resignation of Mark McCall and read the following statement.

'Mark McCall tendered his resignation to myself and Chairman Cecil Watson yesterday evening. This offer was considered and accepted with regret by the Professional Team Management Committee later last night.

'I have met this morning with Steve Williams who has taken charge of team affairs with immediate effect.

'The poor results this season have been very difficult for us all and ultimately have brought us to where we are today, however, I believe strongly that the following is recorded.'

'Mark McCall has been an outstanding committed Coach for Ulster, meticulous in his preparation he endeavoured to create an environment of empowerment for the players.

'During his three years in the job, nine players received International recognition, a greater number of new caps than at any stage since the game turned professional, and an achievement which was down to the player identification and hard work of Mark and Allen Clarke.'