Phone recommendations

Started by manfromdelmonte, December 07, 2016, 02:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Fellow boarders
I'm looking to get herself a new unlocked phone.
neither of us go in for bill pay phones, waste of money.
anyway, she doesn't want one of those huge phones, so it has to be under 14cm

any recommendations? its hard to find a decent smaller smart phone these days.
phones seem to have gotten huge
cheers

armaghniac

What's the budget?
I have one of these yokes, which is a moderate size. I find it grand. 
https://oneplus.net/ie/x

it takes two sims, so you certainly are tied to any one provider!

above that price you have the likes of the Sony Experia Z5 compact
below that price the likes of the Moto E.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

laoislad

That one plus x looks like a decent phone. My Samsung S6 is acting up a lot lately so that looks like a decent replacement.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gallsman

Battery on the OnePlus X not great and the second SIM card slot gets wiped out by the need to use a micro SD card as the built in memory is only 16gb.

laoislad

I only need one sim and I've a charger in the car so phone is often on charge.  Other than them issues is it a decent phone?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

armaghniac

Quote from: gallsman on December 07, 2016, 08:18:53 PM
Battery on the OnePlus X not great and the second SIM card slot gets wiped out by the need to use a micro SD card as the built in memory is only 16gb.

This is fair comment. I haven't actually used the second sim, I would have needed it more last year when I was in the US.
If you were running the second sim all the time, then the lack of memory would be an issue. If you only use it on holidays etc then less used music etc could be stored on the SD card.

I find it fine, although it sometimes seems to lose signal out of town when it loses the 3G and doesn't hook on the 2G.

manfromdelmonte

when did 16GB become not enough space in a phone??

ONeill

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 07, 2016, 02:56:22 PM
Fellow boarders
I'm looking to get herself a new unlocked phone.

You're making a big mistake.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 07, 2016, 10:32:59 PM

Maybe someone can help me out (apologies if I am hijacking the thread, but it is related)

I have a HTC One M8, which has 16GB memory. The memory is full, to the extent that I cannot update any apps etc. When I look at the settings however, the main culprit seems to be the 6.3GB of space used up in 'Other'. Anyone know what this might be and how I could go about resolving it?

Failing that (and back to the original jist of the thread), I am in the market for a new phone. Main requirements would be battery life and speed. Looking at the S7 - what should I be comparing it against?
Hasta la victoria siempre

ONeill

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on December 07, 2016, 10:53:34 PM

Maybe someone can help me out (apologies if I am hijacking the thread, but it is related)

I have a HTC One M8, which has 16GB memory. The memory is full, to the extent that I cannot update any apps etc. When I look at the settings however, the main culprit seems to be the 6.3GB of space used up in 'Other'. Anyone know what this might be and how I could go about resolving it?

Failing that (and back to the original jist of the thread), I am in the market for a new phone. Main requirements would be battery life and speed. Looking at the S7 - what should I be comparing it against?

I had that phone. The pre-installed apps which I can't delete were a killer. Maybe you can delete them but I've reset it since and it's still taking up half the memory.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

You could have gigabits worth of cache. Go to your settings and delete your cache to free up some space.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: ONeill on December 07, 2016, 10:55:34 PM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on December 07, 2016, 10:53:34 PM

I had that phone. The pre-installed apps which I can't delete were a killer. Maybe you can delete them but I've reset it since and it's still taking up half the memory.

Yeah, there are a lot of useless apps on there, but they only take up 5.2GB.
Hasta la victoria siempre

gallsman

"other" might actually include the operating system itself. Your 16gb phone will only have 11/12gb of useable memory.

Laoislad, to replace an S6 the OnePlus X wouldn't get it. Knowing the phones you've gone for before, i couldn't recommend the X. Pay the extra for the OnePlus 3T. It's a brilliant phone and dash charging is one of the best new features in a phone for years.

gallsman

Oh, the X also doesn't have 5ghz WiFi either.

armaghniac

Quote from: gallsman on December 08, 2016, 03:43:29 AM
Oh, the X also doesn't have 5ghz WiFi either.

The X is not the latest model at this stage. The importance of the lack of 5 GHz lack depends on where you typically use the phone, in places like the airport the 5 Ghz would  be a good help.