Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

SF swear an oath at Stormont. A British manufactured political assembly that recognises Northern Ireland and partition. What's the difference swearing an oath to this than at Westminster?

trailer

Quote from: johnnycool on January 17, 2019, 11:08:19 AM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on January 17, 2019, 10:59:06 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 17, 2019, 10:52:34 AM
Quote from: seafoid on January 17, 2019, 10:31:11 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 17, 2019, 10:20:29 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 12, 2019, 09:17:56 PM
I'd say your knowledge of "The South" is fairly limited.
That actually cuts both ways many from the south do not understand nationalists in the North, or their motivations. They criticise without the benefit of the experience many nationalists had of the state in which they grew up. Prime example are those FF Republicans sniping at SF for not swearing an oath to the Queen, they don't get that people voted SF on that basis. I would not swear an oath to the Queen why would I expect my MP to do so? There are other examples as well.
Mark Durkan never swore an oath of allegiance to the Queen
SF defences of abstentionism are bollocks

you sure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIaZaRmuU4Q

In fairness he doesn't look to happy about it. He's mumbling like an 6 year old being questioned on who ate all the chocolate biscuits.

He in his own defence refused to swear to God and handed in a letter of protest at the process. Might please the God squad that one.

Swore an oath of "affirmation" and not allegiance, splitting hairs was our Mark.

https://twitter.com/markdurkan/status/1067124640164864001?lang=en

This a nothing argument. Michael Collins swore an oath to the British Crown. Martin McGuinness met her, shook her hand and attended a state dinner. For SF to say they won't swear allegiance to the British Crown doesn't make them some sort of super Republicans.
Other famous Irish Nationalists Charles Stewart Parnell and Daniel O'Connell did the same. Are we saying these people are great Irish men? Should we rename O'Connell St? Parnell park?

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: BennyCake on January 17, 2019, 12:27:17 PM
SF swear an oath at Stormont. A British manufactured political assembly that recognises Northern Ireland and partition. What's the difference swearing an oath to this than at Westminster?

It's government on the island of Ireland for the north of Ireland and no allegiance to a foreign sovereign state. I would have thought this much is obvious.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: trailer on January 17, 2019, 12:33:31 PM
That actually cuts both ways many from the south do not understand nationalists in the North, or their motivations. They criticise without the benefit of the experience many nationalists had of the state in which they grew up. Prime example are those FF Republicans sniping at SF for not swearing an oath to the Queen, they don't get that people voted SF on that basis. I would not swear an oath to the Queen why would I expect my MP to do so? There are other examples as well.

you sure?

In fairness he doesn't look to happy about it. He's mumbling like an 6 year old being questioned on who ate all the chocolate biscuits.

He in his own defence refused to swear to God and handed in a letter of protest at the process. Might please the God squad that one.

Swore an oath of "affirmation" and not allegiance, splitting hairs was our Mark.

This a nothing argument. Michael Collins swore an oath to the British Crown. Martin McGuinness met her, shook her hand and attended a state dinner. For SF to say they won't swear allegiance to the British Crown doesn't make them some sort of super Republicans.
Other famous Irish Nationalists Charles Stewart Parnell and Daniel O'Connell did the same. Are we saying these people are great Irish men? Should we rename O'Connell St? Parnell park?

Typical of you, I read up to you mentioned Parnell who only took up his seat for the Irish MP obstruction policy. If SF did the same thing today then Westminster would have been a bigger farce this week if that was possible.

BennyCake

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on January 17, 2019, 12:36:11 PM

It's government on the island of Ireland for the north of Ireland and no allegiance to a foreign sovereign state. I would have thought this much is obvious.

The north is under British rule. It's part of the uk. It's a British political entity. It may have its own assembly like Scotland and Wales, but it's a British state. As hard as that is for some people to admit, that's the reality.

trueblue1234

Quote from: BennyCake on January 17, 2019, 12:47:29 PM

The north is under British rule. It's part of the uk. It's a British political entity. It may have its own assembly like Scotland and Wales, but it's a British state. As hard as that is for some people to admit, that's the reality.
It's a power sharing assembly.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

BennyCake

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 17, 2019, 12:50:07 PM

Well, that was the theory anyway.

But it's still an assembly governing a part of the UK. That will be the case until there's a UI.

trueblue1234

Quote from: BennyCake on January 17, 2019, 01:07:10 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 17, 2019, 12:50:07 PM

Well, that was the theory anyway.

But it's still an assembly governing a part of the UK. That will be the case until there's a UI.
Of course. However there is North South institutions and Stormont now embraces the principle of consent. But tbh,  I think we're going of on a tangent. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trailer

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on January 17, 2019, 12:40:12 PM
Quote from: trailer on January 17, 2019, 12:33:31 PM

you sure?

Typical of you, I read up to you mentioned Parnell who only took up his seat for the Irish MP obstruction policy. If SF did the same thing today then Westminster would have been a bigger farce this week if that was possible.

I'm just shining a light on the farce of a party that SF are.

Rossfan

Rhats what all the parties to the GFA signed up to and the Irish people voted for it.
Anyway back to the subject -where does the British Parliament to from here?
Does some Labour MP put down a Motion to not allow a No Deal Exit, will enough Conservatives back that or abstain?
Or is it just continue the farce?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

north_antrim_hound

Ross I have no idea, Corbyn the tw.t won't even meet with the May to sort it out. It really is a farce and English people are disgusted with how their politicians are behaving.

seafoid

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on January 17, 2019, 02:14:34 PM
Ross I have no idea, Corbyn the tw.t won't even meet with the May to sort it out. It really is a farce and English people are disgusted with how their politicians are behaving.
Corbyn will meet May if she drops no deal and she refuses to do so
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Franko

Quote from: seafoid on January 17, 2019, 02:19:49 PM

Why the need for a precondition?  It's only a meeting.  Corbyn has lost it.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: seafoid on January 17, 2019, 02:19:49 PM

Setting out pre-conditions prior to the meeting is spoiled brat stuff. He doesn't want the deal but doesn't want no deal either, WTF is he smoking.

Minder

Did anyone see the footage of Corbyn speaking in HOC and some female minister discreetly tugging the back of his blazer to get him to sit down ?!
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"