OByrne Cup 2020

Started by Laoiseabu, October 18, 2019, 12:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

BATMAN "Connolly isn't up to that standard at all"

Funny I thought he was one of our better players in the first half esp in first 25  minutes

O'Carroll well beaten in the one and battles .

Offaly lorded midfield o Sullivan looked lost and johno while he tried hard was hufing and puffing after 20 mins .

Munnelly looked sharp .

Comerford was raw but showed well for the ball .

Corbett is never a keeper .
Brody come back quick .

All in all a bit disappointing on the back of the news Paul Donie Steven Attride  and Gary Walsh won't be around this year .

On the plus side Piggot looked composed and strong in the half back.line
LAOIS ABÚ

Neutralobserver

i think its going to be a very hard year for laois and now is it becoming clearer why sugure left or did the players leave because he left?

Brandon

Can anyone please tell my Sean Moore from Ballyfin not play for the county ?

Neutralobserver

Not good enough for intercounty as yet

Brandon

Better than what's there anyway

Blow-in

Good to get the win today. Wexford looked to have snatched a draw but credit to Laois for coming back up the field to win a free.
Galvin looked stylish. Brown shoes and the whole lot from Dunnes Stores!

1: Eoghan Keogh: Wasn't reallt tested. But like last week we need Brody back.

2 Brian Byrne: Had a woeful start to the game. Came into it a bit but was subbed after getting a smack of an elbow which left him with a bad facial injury

3 Gearoid Hanarahn: came out with a lot of ball but his man scored approx 1-3. Fiery character and was booked after a skirmish involving most players.

4 Shane Bolger: Hardy buck. But got caught in possession too many times.

5 Paddy O Sullivan: Does okay. Always like to run at teams

6 Seamus Lacey: intelligent performance. Looked tidy. His marker scored 0-1 who was Paul Bealin's son. Done nothing wrong and is worth a shot.

7 Robbie Piggott: Not sure what he really offers bar physical presence. Subbed

8 John O Loughlin: got caught badly with rules of a mark from the kickout which the referee was correct. But did catch some good ball throughout.

9 Sean Byrne: not his day. Gave away too much possession. Subbed

10 Mark Barry: Laois version of David Clifford. Classy but does tend to take too much out of the ball. Scored a wonder goal after some good play. Also won the free which won the game.

11 Brian Daly: Once again a sub par performance in a Laois jersey. Won't make it and was subbed

12 Diarmuid Whelan: scores some lovely points and is a talent. Needs to get stronger

13 Ross Munnelly: got a couple of points before injury ruined his first half. Picked up an ankle injury. Was dangerous when on.

14 Colm Murphy: continuing his good form. Was alert and dangerous. Shipped some heavy punishment from his maker but played a part in the goal

15 Alan Kinsella: not up to it at the moment unfortunately. Caught in possession and gave away ball after ball. Lucky to last the full 70

Subs: Rob Tyrell, Eoin Dunne, Sean Michael Corcoran all seen action. Roll on Meath on Jan 4th.

Rebelred

Quote from: Brandon on December 12, 2019, 10:45:12 AM
Can anyone please tell my Sean Moore from Ballyfin not play for the county ?
Ill take no interest as a major factor fairly confident all doors opened named in divisional never showed

Junior Ex Laoistalk

LAOIS V MEATH: Sat @ 2pm in Navan

Niall Corbet (Clonaslee)

Ruaidhri C-Fennell (Rosenallis), Gearoid Hanrahan (Mountmellick), Shane Bolger (Killeshin)
  Eoin Buggie (Stradbally), Robbie Pigott (Portarlington), Paddy O'Sullivan (Portarlington)

John O'Loughlin (Rosenallis), Rob Tyrell (Camross)

Eoin Lowry (Killeshin), Mark Barry (O'Dempsey's), Michael Keogh (St Joseph's)
Garry Comerford (Ballincollaig), Evan O'Carroll (Crettyard), Diarmuid Whelan (Ballyroan-Abbey)
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

on the hop

3-8 to 1-3 at half time and could be far worse if Meath didn't kick so many wides. Poor kickouts or lack of options on kickouts a cause of a lot of damage. This could get really ugly

on the hop

things learned from today,

• meath used todays game with their division 1 games in mind
    they played a lot of regulars, the meath chronicle reckoned very close to the starting league team
    a lot of our trialists aren't going to make it

a bit like the last few years we tried a lot of players (a few their second/third time) and a lot are not at present up to the standard. I say present, as unfortunately you can't judge them all when they are facing a near enough full strength meath team in navan coming off promotion and Super 8 games. Meath were just bigger, used the kick pass better and generally did what they wanted apart from a spurt in the third quarter. the only thing for sure is that their is a lot more of the older crew are going to have to appear in the league as we simply haven't found anything new so far. Division 2 is going to be tough.

On the game itself, we didn't start to bad in that we had a lot of ball but unfortunately no end product. meath tackled hard and forced a few turnovers and kicked direct, something we really didn't do all day , we were more inclined to constantly hand pass laterally, their wasn't much of an option inside. they got a run of scores but their forwards in particular all fouled at the sign of danger, you could call it cuteness but it was definitely a tactic. they pressed our kickout aggressively, and we messed up dreadfully going short which resulted in goals and a few missed opportunities for them. Long kickouts gave no real return. Tyrell was too raw to be on Menton and didn't appear for the second half and they punched everything aimed at JOL. the physical difference in size between their halfback line and our half forwards meant going long their was not an option. We were trapped at times and luckily avoided another few goals. they kicked a few wides which could have made it a lot worse. Bright moment was Keogh placing the ball for Evan to palm in for a goal. Evan had an all too common game with a bit of everything. got a goal, kicked some good points from frees and play, but at the same time missed a 21 yard free in front of the goals and another badly on his own side. We ended up with the keeper taking a 45 wide before Comerford slotted one. A settled, consistent freetaker still eludes us.

The second half or the third quarter in particular we started really well. Paddy o Sullivan went midfield and tracked menton. We really pressed their kickouts, on a number of occasions the whole team bar the full back was in their half leaving four meath forwards free. it was very brave and thankfully the meath keeper hadn't a long enough kickout to reach them. their was some lovely points scored by Barry in particular and we got it back to four. They got two points back which settled them and then the corner back was outmuscled on a high ball in and the on running meath forward buried it. The game died after that, their was numerous changes, the keeper saved another goal and their corner forward blazed over from 5 yards. A few other rusty warriors like Timmons, Gary Walsh and Ross came on and he kicked a nice point before JOL dunted menton under one of the last kickouts and was wisely substituted. it will be interesting to see how many of last years team are back training before the league starts.

thegreeenandgold

I fear for Laois, Quirke did he do any research in to what he was getting into ? Seriously a promising coach is going to get burned here.

Smurfy123

What's so good about Quirke May I ask? He talks a great game let me tell you. Waffling on social media this few years what county teams ought to be doing. Talks cheap

SCFC

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on January 04, 2020, 11:21:56 PM
I fear for Laois, Quirke did he do any research in to what he was getting into ? Seriously a promising coach is going to get burned here.

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 04, 2020, 11:25:37 PM
What's so good about Quirke May I ask? He talks a great game let me tell you. Waffling on social media this few years what county teams ought to be doing. Talks cheap

It's the O'Byrne Cup, for jaysus sake.

thegreeenandgold

I agree on it's the O Byrne Cup,  but the writing is on the wall with this one.  I'll wait till the Leagues over but would not be surprised if we don't win a game.

Chrimtain

Are we more concerned how this turns out for the coach or the team? On what  basis are we assuming he is a good coach?