HOW WOULD YOU VOTE IN A BORDER POLL?

Started by RedHand88, March 20, 2021, 02:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you back unity if a border poll was held tomorrow?

Yes (Northerner)
No (Northerner)
Yes (Southener)
No (Southener)

RedHand88

Important to get a feel for both jurisdictions as ultimately both have to pass individually as per the GFA.

Rossfan

Northern 1 will be skewed as I doubt if there's many Unionists or Alliance people on here?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mario

I don't think the sample population for this poll will tell us anything. A predominantly Ulster based gaa forum favour independence. Same with the GAA fans in the south, probably to a lesser degree.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on March 20, 2021, 03:17:59 PM
Northern 1 will be skewed as I doubt if there's many Unionists or Alliance people on here?
[/b]
I am in favour of a UI and would hope to vote positively if a referendum poll is held in my lifetime but, as the old saying puts it, the devil is in the detail.
It's quite understandable that Nationalist posters on the board seem to think that a single vote majority north of the border is all that's needed to get the job done and dusted, but I wouldn't be so sure. There's 300+ years of past history to be put aside before there's a realistic chance  of a positive referendum outcome  will become a reality.
I think most citizens of the Republic are in favour okay but are genuinely afraid that sectarian violence will erupt again and will spill over into the south.
I am concerned that a sizeable number of Nationalists/Sinn Feiners seem far too eager to repay with interest all the insults and humiliation  to their cause right back to 1690 and beyond.

There must be a mutual acceptance before the polling booths open, that past history cannot be allowed to determine future policy. That's some ask.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

RedHand88

Quote from: Rossfan on March 20, 2021, 03:17:59 PM

True but it would give a view of the Northern Nationalist population at the very least.

omochain

Not sure if I am a Northerner or a Southerner. Lived in both before going overseas. Because I was born on the Northern side of the border I voted as a northerner. Truly I have never seen myself as either. But then I was born just south of Keady.😜

screenexile

Would be interested in the views of those who voted no North and South?

Kidder81

Would be interested to know what it would look like, healthcare etc

Nobody knows

Tony Baloney

Would be interested in how many of the Yes (Northerner) are "with reservations" or would living "free" in a UI trump all reservations about finances, health service etc.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 20, 2021, 04:58:30 PM
Would be interested in how many of the Yes (Northerner) are "with reservations" or would living "free" in a UI trump all reservations about finances, health service etc.

I think you just have to dig in for a few years and things will level out, as they do when it happens.

Germany being one example
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

snoopdog

My view on a border poll is quite simplistic really. If any man or woman who currently calls themselves Irish votes against a united Ireland then are they really Irish?? Not in my book.
I've lived in the south long enough to know that most southerners dont really care about the north.

Angelo

Be interested to see who voted no Northerner.

Probably just some Dublin7 trolling.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GiveItToTheShooters

Said it before and will say it again.
Any Irish person that votes against unity is an embarrassment to their country and an embarrassment as a person.

Rossfan

Hopefully a few posters here will NOT be involved it trying to persuade people to vote for a UI in the Referendum.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM