Ciaran Kilkenny has a big decision to make

Started by The Hill is Blue, January 02, 2014, 08:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

Ciaran Kilkenny has a big decision to make shortly – football or hurling in 2014. Which way will he go? Personally I'd like to see him stay with football because I think he has the potential to become a footballing legend.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2014/0102/495579-gavin-rules-out-kilkenny-dual-role/
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

cuyahoga

If he was barred playing from both, he could play soccer just as successfully and be another Manchester United player.

orangeman

Syferus

He's got bags of potential but the hype has went soft on him this past year. His stand-out performance was paying unmarked against Meath and then by the end of the year he was having next to no impact in games and being shipped off around half-time. He needs time to develop properly. A year or two hurling might benefit him in the long run, though the Dublin hurlers are hardly low-key anymore either.

The footballers are spoilt with prospects - Cormac Costello is perhaps an even better prospect capable of playing a similar role - so I don't think his decision will effect them too much either way.

rodney trotter

It would have been asking alot from kilkenny to do both this year anyways. Maybe next year when he is no longer u21 and even then its a big commitment, plays both codes for Dublin at u21 level as well as well as college football and Hurling.

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on January 02, 2014, 10:12:55 PM
He's got bags of potential but the hype has went soft on him this past year. His stand-out performance was paying unmarked against Meath and then by the end of the year he was having next to no impact in games and being shipped off around half-time. He needs time to develop properly. A year or two hurling might benefit him in the long run, though the Dublin hurlers are hardly low-key anymore either.

The footballers are spoilt with prospects - Cormac Costello is perhaps an even better prospect capable of playing a similar role - so I don't think his decision will effect them too much either way.

I think Costello is more of an inside man.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: orangeman on January 02, 2014, 09:59:36 PM
Could he be another Teddy Boy ?

The intensity of today's games probably means that we won't see the likes of Teddy McCarthy again. The phenomenon of the great duel star is a thing of the past. Can you imagine a player in this era collecting an All Ireland Football medal two weeks after winning a hurling medal as Teddy did? Or could anyone emulate the great Des Foley who won two Railway Cup medals on the same day?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Bord na Mona man

Hopefully he picks hurling as he'd be of more use to the hurlers than the footballers.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on January 03, 2014, 11:27:33 AM

The intensity of today's games probably means that we won't see the likes of Teddy McCarthy again. The phenomenon of the great duel star is a thing of the past. Can you imagine a player in this era collecting an All Ireland Football medal two weeks after winning a hurling medal as Teddy did?

Alan Kerins was the last to come close. Played in both finals in 01 but narrowly lost the hurling first. Hard to see where the next one will come from.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on January 03, 2014, 11:09:27 AM
Quote from: Syferus on January 02, 2014, 10:12:55 PM

I think Costello is more of an inside man.

To be fair that's where Kilkenny played a lot at underage too. Costello played midfield for the hurlers and dictated games with his passing and ball winning, with a bit of meat on his bones he'd be a very good playmaker around the HF line. With the likes of Brogan, Rock, Mannion and even Andrews in the FF line he'd probably find it easier to get starts there too.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 03, 2014, 02:12:48 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on January 03, 2014, 11:27:33 AM

The intensity of today's games probably means that we won't see the likes of Teddy McCarthy again. The phenomenon of the great duel star is a thing of the past. Can you imagine a player in this era collecting an All Ireland Football medal two weeks after winning a hurling medal as Teddy did?

Alan Kerins was the last to come close. Played in both finals in 01 but narrowly lost the hurling first. Hard to see where the next one will come from.

Eoin Cadogen perhaps?

rodney trotter

You could add Paul Hudson to the options, inside FF line. Class player.

Syferus

Don't forget Eamonn O'Conghaile too. If he comes through like he can it would make the Dublin midfield frighteningly good.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Syferus on January 03, 2014, 04:41:38 PM
Don't forget Eamonn O'Conghaile too. If he comes through like he can it would make the Dublin midfield frighteningly good.

You mean Emmet O'Conghaile? Parents from the Aran Islands so if the Dubs don't want him he can always come back west.