The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Targetman

Cavanagh was a very good player, did tend to go to ground a bit easily but doesn't come across very well on TV, the majority of people wouldn't be big fans and that includes Tyrone ones.

mrdeeds

Quote from: galwayman on July 25, 2022, 07:29:38 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on July 25, 2022, 05:32:03 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 25, 2022, 12:26:57 PM
I have yet to see anyone see anything positive on Cavanagh. Whelan isn't fantastic but you could stomach him a bit more as he comes across as an alright sort and isn't constantly trying to score points for himself.

Sean Cavanagh's Laochra Gael shows exactly what he's like.
Didn't see that Laochra Gael I think.
He's atrocious as a pundit tho. And comes across as a w**ker to be honest

It's still on tg4 player. He was disappointed after winning all ireland as he didn't get motm.

Itchy

Great chance for the Sunday Game to get some real pundits on now with Spillane gone, Brolly gone and surely O Rourke gone now too. Surely someone in RTE has the brains to get some people in that actually understand the modern game? Or maybe they'll just stick with picking people like Sean Cavanagh and Cora Staunton - god help us.

RedHand88

The problem is that a huge swathe of the Sunday Game audience are not interested in tactics, statistics and the intricacies of the game. They want to see a circus where people say outlandish things.
The older generation do not care how many sweepers a team uses. As well as that, they tend to be more anglophobic as well so will only watch RTE out of principle so there's no reason for RTE to change the format. They will always have that audience.

tbrick18

Quote from: Real Talk on July 25, 2022, 08:42:01 PM
Number 1 .... Sean Cavanagh loves Sean Cavanagh.  When Brian Dooher was playing for Tyrone he did the 'donkey work' ( ie handed him easy ball) for him and he was a very efficient and effective cog in that Tyrone set -up .... when Dooher retired Sean Cavanagh wasn't nearly as effective or as influential.

I personally think he was one of the most overrated players in the Tyrone setup during those years.
I always remember thinking he showed up well when a game was already won, getting a couple of scores maybe in the last 10 when they were already 8 up.
Rarely was he the player to pull them through in a difficult game.
Dooher, as you say, was that type of player.
He has nothing of interest to say in the punditry side of things. Stutters a lot and repeats lots of cliche's but no real insights.
He's certainly got more confident in the role than he was, but he brings nothing to it.

I'd much prefer to listen to people with their own opinions rather than this sanitised repetitive jargon. The result is that every game has the same commentary and analysis with nothing insightful or entertaining to offer. I used to always watch the RTE pre-match, half-time and post game analysis. I just cant bring myself to do it now.....a complete bore-fest which is chaired by the queen of bore in Cantwell.

Applesisapples

Sunday Game is not a patch on Sky as a product. Better analysis and no Get Canning.

Rudi

Eamon Fitz is the only pudit worth talking about on RTE. Some of the pundits / presenters that did the Tailteann are worth a second look. Des Cahill, Ger Canning, Dessie Dolan, Gouch, Colm O Rourke, Gulpin Whelan, Cora & Kevin Mc should feck the hell off. As for that utter gobshite Sean Cavanagh.

At least Martin Carney, Joe Bollix, Davy Brady & Pateen are gone. Darragh Maloney not to bad. Hopefully Maughan doesn't get ideas.

The world doesn't need another eggit pundit from Mayo, thank goodness for Sky, Jimbo, Canavan & female presenter are class.

Oisin McConville not to bad either.

nrico2006

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 26, 2022, 09:44:40 AM
Number 1 .... Sean Cavanagh loves Sean Cavanagh.  When Brian Dooher was playing for Tyrone he did the 'donkey work' ( ie handed him easy ball) for him and he was a very efficient and effective cog in that Tyrone set -up .... when Dooher retired Sean Cavanagh wasn't nearly as effective or as influential.

I personally think he was one of the most overrated players in the Tyrone setup during those years.
I always remember thinking he showed up well when a game was already won, getting a couple of scores maybe in the last 10 when they were already 8 up.
He has nothing of interest to say in the punditry side of things. Stutters a lot and repeats lots of cliche's but no real insights.
He's certainly got more confident in the role than he was, but he brings nothing to it.

I'd much prefer to listen to people with their own opinions rather than this sanitised repetitive jargon. The result is that every game has the same commentary and analysis with nothing insightful or entertaining to offer. I used to always watch the RTE pre-match, half-time and post game analysis. I just cant bring myself to do it now.....a complete bore-fest which is chaired by the queen of bore in Cantwell.

Cavanagh is hard to like but that is nonsense.  He pulled Tyrone through many a difficult game.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

seafoid

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 26, 2022, 08:39:25 AM
The problem is that a huge swathe of the Sunday Game audience are not interested in tactics, statistics and the intricacies of the game. They want to see a circus where people say outlandish things.
The older generation do not care how many sweepers a team uses. As well as that, they tend to be more anglophobic as well so will only watch RTE out of principle so there's no reason for RTE to change the format. They will always have that audience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slMub4NtrSk
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: Itchy on July 26, 2022, 08:23:07 AM
Great chance for the Sunday Game to get some real pundits on now with Spillane gone, Brolly gone and surely O Rourke gone now too. Surely someone in RTE has the brains to get some people in that actually understand the modern game? Or maybe they'll just stick with picking people like Sean Cavanagh and Cora Staunton - god help us.
It's amazing that the 3 stalwarts are going, gone.
Cantwell may not be permanent either.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Redhand Santa

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 26, 2022, 10:30:43 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on July 26, 2022, 09:44:40 AM

Cavanagh is hard to like but that is nonsense.  He pulled Tyrone through many a difficult game.

Yeah it's absolute nonsense. He scored 5 from play in his adopted position of full forward in 08 all ireland final which is more than either Clifford or Walsh got from play on Sunday. It included a few very important scores in the second half. He got a crucial score towards the end of the 05 semi final v Armagh and dragged Tyrone over the line in 2017 ulster final against Donegal. That's just a few that spring to mind.

imtommygunn

Yeah Cavanagh not overly likeable but he was a fantastic footballer. Tyrone would less than 4 all irelands without him. He was one of the best players of his era.

In hiding

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 26, 2022, 10:52:35 AM
Yeah Cavanagh not overly likeable but he was a fantastic footballer. Tyrone would less than 4 all irelands without him. He was one of the best players of his era.
+1

Cyril Farrell fan

It's time for RTE to have a Red Button option where people can watch some deeper tactical analysis.
The main feed can be the usual very general O'Rourke, Spillane, Brolly type punditry that doesn't give much insight - Cavan are a proud football county, Meath always keep battling till the end.

Cavanagh not very likeable, which makes people forget that he was one of the best players about in the noughties, probably just behind canavan and O'Neill for our best player ever (I never seen Frank play)