Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eire90

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on April 24, 2022, 09:21:48 PM
We don't even know how to spell the name of the competition.

Just about sums it up.

Thats why it should have had all Ireland in its title maybe all Ireland plate or shield or just all Ireland senior football intermediate championship.

Also does anyone know what the cup looks like will it just be another small generic cup.

Eire90

i bet a lot of people cant pronounce its name either

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Eire90 on April 24, 2022, 09:56:53 PM
i bet a lot of people cant pronounce its name either
Same name as Meaths stadium and anyone that follows the sport should be able to pronounce it.

twohands!!!

QuoteA player who has been included on an InterCounty Senior Championship list submitted to the Referee, in accordance with Rules of Specification 2.5 (ii)(a) for a game in the current year's Championship shall not be eligible to be accepted for Registration as a member of any Club in the USGAA Board Jurisdiction.

Exception - A player who has been included on an Inter-County Senior Championship list submitted to the Referee, in accordance with Rules of Specification 2.5 (ii)(a), for a game in the current year's Championship, who holds a valid current J1 Visa or who is eligible for a J1 Visa and who obtains an Official J1 Sanction may be accepted for registration.

Such a player may only have his J1 Sanction approved once his team have been eliminated from the Senior Inter-County Championship (including All-Ireland qualifier games).
The J1 Visa concerned with this Exception is the J1 Work and Travel Programme Visa only – i.e. the four-month Visa for 3rd Level Students.

To me it looks like any player who is listed on a championship 26 team list (i.e they don't even have to play) submitted to the ref for a senior intercounty game can't get a transfer to the US in the same year, unless they have a J1 student visa and even if they are J1 eligible they can only go after their county is finished up completely.

Also I checked the definition of the senior inter-county championship and The Tailteann Cup is regarded as being part of the Senior Intercounty Championship under Tier 2 - the definition is on pages 100 to 103.

https://www.gaa.ie/api/pdfs/image/upload/ppactrpwjcyjus1m6dj8.pdf

twohands!!!

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on April 24, 2022, 11:33:49 PMIn the short term, what would help gain player interest in the Tailteann Cup IMO would be for the winners of the competition to be guaranteed to be able to play in the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship not just for the following season, but the season also after that (so a two season minimum) regardless of National League or provincial championship performance. So for example if Down win the 2022 Tailteann Cup, then they would be guaranteed a place in the 2023 All-Ireland SFC qualifying stages even if they fail to get promoted back to Division 2 at the end of the 2023 NFL & fail to reach the Ulster SFC final - and it would also apply for 2024 as well, however if they were to play NFL3 or NFL4 for 2026 after the 2025 league and also failed to reach the 2025 Ulster final, then back into the Tailteann Cup for 2025 they would go.

I disagree.

I think one year's entry is enough because I think there is definitely potential there that the winners of the Tailteann Cup could end up taking three bad beatings in the group stages the following year especially if they get an unkind draw. I think it's only a matter of time before this occurs - a Division 3 team hits a vein of form during the Tailteann Cup/the bounce of a ball goes with them and they win it out. By the time next year rolls around their form has dipped back/they have picked up a few injuries, then they go out in the first round of the provincials  and are drawn in a group against 2 Division 1 sides as the provincial winner and loser and a 3rd Division 1 side as one of the top 4 league sides who would take the 3rd seed position [If next year's format was in place for this year Mayo and Armagh would be taking 2 of the 4 3rd seed places].

If they want to adjust things down the line I think a better tweak would be to make the winner of the Tailteann Cup one of the 3rd seed spots so at least the teams they would be playing based on the league positions would be those who finished 4th to 7th as opposed to those who finished 1st to 4th.

full moon

Just read a post here stating Fermanagh have lost players off the panel after Tyrone game. If so again it makes it hard to predict but it doesn't bode well for this Tailteann Cup if we are seeing significant drop off from panels at this early stage.

thewobbler

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on April 24, 2022, 11:33:49 PM
I'm reminded of an occasion a few years ago back affecting the Tyrone county ladies football team - for a few years the county team had been performing poorly in the Ulster & All-Ireland senior championships and a decision was taken to voluntarily regrade to intermediate at adult inter-county level. A few long standing county players objected to having the team drop a level and never returned to the panel, what remained  along with a few fresh faces then fought on, reaching the IFC final after a couple of seasons and then winning it (beating current SFC champions Meath) to gain promotion back to Senior level. Alas, senior level didn't last long as they were defeated in a relegation final last year and will play in intermediate again this year. To me, that's the level Tyrone are at in the sport at this present time and that's where they (arguably) deserve to be, there's more to be gained at playing at the level you're competitive in & seek to earn the right to play at a higher grade rather than making up the numbers at a level where you're regularly shipping big defeats and going through the motions.

Now I know that the format of the Tailteann Cup doesn't mimic that of the female equivalent but I suspect that at some point down the line it will be, with the competition absorbed/renamed the All-Ireland Intermediate Football Championship - I see that the All-Ireland Junior Football Championship has been reformatted whereby no second string teams from Ireland now compete in it, instead there is a qualifying competition between "county" teams in Britain with two of them going forward to the competition semi-finals with New York & Kilkenny getting byes into that stage, and I'd not be surprised if in due course the intercounty football championship goes into a three-tier system with promotion/relegation between them.

In the short term, what would help gain player interest in the Tailteann Cup IMO would be for the winners of the competition to be guaranteed to be able to play in the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship not just for the following season, but the season also after that (so a two season minimum) regardless of National League or provincial championship performance. So for example if Down win the 2022 Tailteann Cup, then they would be guaranteed a place in the 2023 All-Ireland SFC qualifying stages even if they fail to get promoted back to Division 2 at the end of the 2023 NFL & fail to reach the Ulster SFC final - and it would also apply for 2024 as well, however if they were to play NFL3 or NFL4 for 2026 after the 2025 league and also failed to reach the 2025 Ulster final, then back into the Tailteann Cup for 2025 they would go.

I don't think there's any value in comparing men's football and ladies football.

The men's senior football championship generates national interest, large attendances at most fixtures, and media coverage before and after. Therefore the drop from SFC to IFC would be huge in terms of profile. It's like going from page 1 to page 5 on Google search results

The ladies championship - and I know it's a growing sport and there were 56k at a recent final, but please be sensible  - just doesn't have the same levels of public interest. Nothing even remotely close. So dropping down to IFC couldn't have anywhere near the same impact on a player's sense of worth.

——

Hurling doesn't equate either. It's a minority sport in most counties. When those "less interested" counties met in league / championship matches in the 50 years before the elite tossed them out, these were low profile, poorly attended matches.

Rossfan

How many people attended the men's football championship games this weekend  in
Corrigan Park
Wexford Park
Aughrim
Navan
Was there 10k at the 4 of them?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

snoopdog

Quote from: Rossfan on April 25, 2022, 07:02:06 PM
How many people attended the men's football championship games this weekend  in
Corrigan Park
Wexford Park
Aughrim
Navan
Was there 10k at the 4 of them?
The GAA know how to kill the county  game in many counties. They did the same with hurling.

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2022/0423/1293928-tailteann-cup-has-to-avoid-tommy-murphy-cups-sad-fate/

When the imaginatively named All Ireland B started in 1990 some counties used the competition to build momentum and spend more time on developing their teams. Remember this was a time that there was no back door, when you lose you were out. It was a long wait before you came together as a team the following year.
There were clearly some counties that benefited from this competition.
Leitrim won the All Ireland B in 1990 and then won Connacht in 1994. Clare won the B All Ireland in 1991 and then won a Munster title in 1992.
If their players or respective managers, John O'Mahony and John Maughan, were asked if the All Ireland B run helped to build belief and confidence in their squad the answer could only be 'Yes'.
The Tommy Murphy Cup was introduced in 2004. Tommy Murphy was a Graiguecullen and Laois star, who was selected on the Team of the Millennium. This competition was introduced with a number of perks to encourage players and counties to embrace it. The final was to be played in Croke Park, however they were often at awkward times that didn't encourage big attendances.
The winners would have a nice trip to play in the Owen Treacy Cup against a North American selection (this only happened in 2006 with a trip to Boston for Louth).
Clare, Tipperary, Louth and Wicklow were winners of the Tommy Murphy competition. The last winner was Antrim in 2008. They then went onto make a rare Ulster Final appearance in 2009. Their manager Jody Gormley has said that the success from the run in 2008 helped his squad for 2009.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eire90

if it does fail what will happen will they just keep the same format as now where only division 1 and 2 games get a second bite of the cherry or will they go back to a backdoor system with 4 rounds like before covid

Eire90

just look the last year of the tommy murphy cup was basically a division 4 knockout cup

thejuice

Christ with all these lads dropping off panels you would think they hated playing county football. But you'll still get people moaning about short summers and not enough being done for the little counties.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

full moon

Quote from: seafoid on April 25, 2022, 08:03:07 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2022/0423/1293928-tailteann-cup-has-to-avoid-tommy-murphy-cups-sad-fate/

QuoteMore games for counties in the Christy Ring, Nicky Rackard and Lory Meagher Cups has been a positive for hurling.

I'm not a hurling follower but is there anything to back that staement from Jason Ryan up. The reality is those lower grade hurling competitions are literally irrelevant to media, supporters or hurling at large. Hurling is virtually dead in most of those counties and those tournaments did not improve things.

twohands!!!

Quote from: full moon on April 25, 2022, 09:58:29 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 25, 2022, 08:03:07 PM

QuoteMore games for counties in the Christy Ring, Nicky Rackard and Lory Meagher Cups has been a positive for hurling.

I'm not a hurling follower but is there anything to back that staement from Jason Ryan up. The reality is those lower grade hurling competitions are literally irrelevant to media, supporters or hurling at large. Hurling is virtually dead in most of those counties and those tournaments did not improve things.

The Christy Ring, Nicky Rackard and Lory Meagher Cups are infinitely better than what the situation was before they were introduced which was the All-Ireland B Championship which was open to any team who didn't play in the Liam McCarthy and was straght knock-out.

Before the B Championship (which started in the 70s), teams only had the option to enter the Liam McCarthy.

Hurling isn't exactly strong in those counties but it's in a far better place in pretty much every one of those counties compared to before these tournaments were started.

The Tailteann Cup isn't a magic bullet but it will be an improvement for players compared to the situation previously.