Charity Question

Started by Itchy, April 02, 2021, 03:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Hi all,

This is an odd question.

I have come into possession of €1000 gift voucher for a local hardware store - lets say its a place like Woodies and does building supplies and the like. Its a long story. The vouchers will last 12 more months.

Basically I want to give this voucher to a charity that would make good use of it. Any ideas?

Rudi

Gwan out of that, April fools day was yesterday, a Cavan man donating to charity ;D

All joking a side fair play to you a nice gesture. Hope it ends up in good hands.

J70

Your local club?

Any wildlife/ecological preserves around you who could use it for maintenance of facilities?

Kids parks?

Any refuges for homeless or otherwise disadvantaged?

Fair dues to you whatever you decide.

armaghniac

Such a voucher might be useful for a raffle, but also for any charitable body doing building type work or repairs, if you can identify one. Some branches of the SVP go out and clean up houses of old people and redecorate them and probably other charities like the Peter McVerry trust have occasion to do up apartments.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RedHand88

As a Cavan man are you sure you arent going to just put it under the mattress for the next 40 years?

In all seriousness though, fair play to you!

general_lee

Maybe say to the hardware store about your intentions - they might be able to work something out re 12 month deadline. They'd also no doubt enjoy the chance for a bit of good PR.

Angelo

Quote from: Itchy on April 02, 2021, 03:11:59 PM
Hi all,

This is an odd question.

I have come into possession of €1000 gift voucher for a local hardware store - lets say its a place like Woodies and does building supplies and the like. Its a long story. The vouchers will last 12 more months.

Basically I want to give this voucher to a charity that would make good use of it. Any ideas?

I'd imagine some charity that helps homeless people get tenancies would really appreciate it.

One of those Fr Peter McVerry charities would certainly make use of it I'd suspect.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

PMG1

The Spirit of Paul McGirr foundation, could be used to buy materials for a school they are currently building in Lusaka, a great GAA charity

Dougal Maguire

Fair play to you. As others have said I'd speak to the shop about your intentions.
Careful now

Milltown Row2

I'll give you 300 quid for it, I'll put it to a good charity ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

I would check with the particular store as if it is one of the bigger ones I am sure they do regular work for particular charities so they might have ideas. I would personally look to a local charity and a smaller one perhaps rather than one of the bigger ones

Itchy

Thanks for the suggestions. I had liked the idea of giving to a charity that would use building materials to create something. Ill have a look around see can I find some. Vincent De Paul is definitely around these parts.

pbat

Sister Consillio's in Newry is always looking products for repairs and garden projects, the people in the programme's do the work as part of the rehab. I have left Fencing Panels and Timber up to them in the past. 

Dire Ear

Run a wee comp on Facebook €2 a go,  easily double the amount.

Denn Forever

Quote from: Itchy on April 03, 2021, 10:20:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I had liked the idea of giving to a charity that would use building materials to create something. Ill have a look around see can I find some. Vincent De Paul is definitely around these parts.

didn't SVP do up a lot of Houses at the bottom of Bridge street along the river?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...